Overseas and Overlooked, Americans in Thailand Seek Vaccines

webfact

5 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Yes, they don't have any.  However bellyaching that somehow the US government should come to their rescue is misguided.   I am a U.S. citizen and came here of my own choice.  That means I live with the consequences and potential inconvenience.  Any of those crybabies who want the vaccine, try Travelocity for flight information and go back and get it instead of somehow thinking that the US should send the U.S.S. comfort ship and a crew of navy doctors because for you to fly home is inconvenient and waiting for the vaccine is something you just think is unconscionable. 

Post of the day ????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Conflicting news.

Believe it if and when it happens.

Not before.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vaccine-explainer-thailands-vaccines-and-timeline/

For non-citizens, only pink card holders (Permanent Residents), who are either 60 or older or have any of the seven health problems mentioned above can register now for vaccination in June or July, while foreign diplomats will also be eligible for jabs on a voluntary basis.

The criteria and plans for future vaccination of other non-Thai citizens remain unclear.

Where ever did you get the idea that pink card holders are permanent residents? You really need to stop with all the fear mongering and falsehoods. Wait till June or July or actually August according to the new look ahead is when the general population in Thailand can register for a jab. Until such time your in the same boat as all the Thai people who by the way also aren't vaccinated. 

You have an obvious choice as a US citizen if your in such a hurry to get vaccinated....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Well, the idea is to vaccinate people equitably without prioritizing one nationality over another which is now what the Thai government has decided to do.  

It is the only thing to do.

Despite popular belief among farangs Thais are not stupid, they understand that the virus does not know who is Thai and who is farang, and will just as happily  find a home on a farang living in thailand, and proceed to do what viruses do best, which is infect others, as it would on a Thai.

If they are to control this pandemic, They need to vaccinate and  eliminate as many possible hosts as possible  to achieve herd immunity. 

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do remember that, but you have to take into the context and consideration that China supplied them with the Sinovac vaccine in whatever deal was made, while the US itself has not made any deals in sending Thailand vaccines.

In fact the US had taken the opposite stance withits export ban on vaccines and materials to make them.  However The UK and Europe provided huge funding to Asta-Zeneca which Thailand is being allowed to produce under license with no profit being made.  Since that will form the basis for the vast majority of Thailands vaccine effort there is much more of a moral obligation to those countries than China. Not that morals is in the vocabulary of the current leadership.

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Americans can be such snowflakes. Too many think an Embassy should be their personal concierge. Oh, but they 'pay taxes'!  How much? What services do they get for 'all that money' they pay? Military. AN FDA that checks both food and medicine for safety. Decent roads and airports (sometimes). Public schools. FEMA assistance in the event of a disaster. Air traffic control. Deposit insurance in the event a bank goes bust. The list is huge, and NOBODY pays for all of it (hence the $trillion deficits). Also, one cannot pick and choose what services should get 'all the taxes I paid'. Democracy is like that.

So now some people expect the USG should put in proper cold storage and ship internationally to every nation on Earth where some Americans have decided to retire, work, visit or just hang out, two doses each of a vaccine?

"Hi Mr Consular Officer. I'm at Base Camp on Everest. When are you going to send someone up here to give me my vaccine. I'm a taxpayer, you know!" (Yes, reduce to the ridiculous, but I think the point is clear.)

A person who lives in Greenwich, CT can drive to a CVS and get his vaccine. He costs the taxpayer, on a marginal basis, not so much. He certainly costs the taxpayer a lot less than some guy who decided to retire 12000 miles away from the US. The 320 million or so Americans who are resident within US borders might object and say if Mr. Living the Dream wants a vaccine, he can fly home and get it.

An Embassy has a host of functions. A very tiny portion of those functions are Citizen's Services. The State Dept assumes Americans who choose to travel internationally are adult enough to accept personal responsibility. That would include staying solvent, taking care of one's health and safety, understanding the local laws and accepting that private citizens are subject to those laws, etc.

True story:  a few years ago some American came to Thailand in order to get 'the unkindest cut of all'. The day after his neutering, he had second thoughts. He called the Embassy in Bangkok and demanded a Consular Officer get a hold of the man's excised junk and reattach it.

Lots of demands are made on Embassies by 'taxpayers'.

"Oh, but they 'pay taxes'!  How much?" I pay the same federal income taxes as I would if I were in the US.

"What services do they get for 'all that money' they pay? Military. AN FDA that checks both food and medicine for safety. Decent roads and airports (sometimes). Public schools. FEMA assistance in the event of a disaster. Air traffic control. Deposit insurance in the event a bank goes bust."  We expats don't get those "services" except maybe FDIC if have account back home. When is the last time US FDA checked food and medicine here? Yeah, right.

"Some U.S. expats, however, remember when U.S. government personnel inoculated American expats.

When Gary Suwannarat first moved to Thailand in the 1980s, she and her family were vaccinated against hepatitis B, a major public health concern in Asia at the time, on the grounds of the U.S. Consulate in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai."  https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccines

"Our Mission

The U.S. Department of State leads America’s foreign policy through diplomacy, advocacy, and assistance by advancing the interests of the American people, their safety and economic prosperity."

Safety? During a Pandemic? Thank you, State Department

• Like 1

Jingthing:. There have been so many announcements and counter-announcements that they can be confusing. Are you sure that foreigners are not now being included with Thais?  I received a call from Bumrungrad three days ago saying that I was on their list.  They didn't say what the time frame was but I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that its injections would proceed in parallel with those individuals on the government Mor Por list with the private hospitals receiving their vaccines from a separate source.

1 minute ago, Emdog said:

"Oh, but they 'pay taxes'!  How much?" I pay the same federal income taxes as I would if I were in the US.

"What services do they get for 'all that money' they pay? Military. AN FDA that checks both food and medicine for safety. Decent roads and airports (sometimes). Public schools. FEMA assistance in the event of a disaster. Air traffic control. Deposit insurance in the event a bank goes bust."  We expats don't get those "services" except maybe FDIC if have account back home. When is the last time US FDA checked food and medicine here? Yeah, right.

"Some U.S. expats, however, remember when U.S. government personnel inoculated American expats.

When Gary Suwannarat first moved to Thailand in the 1980s, she and her family were vaccinated against hepatitis B, a major public health concern in Asia at the time, on the grounds of the U.S. Consulate in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai."  https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccines

"Our Mission

The U.S. Department of State leads America’s foreign policy through diplomacy, advocacy, and assistance by advancing the interests of the American people, their safety and economic prosperity."

Safety? During a Pandemic? Thank you, State Department

Well argued. Remember that some of those people making aggressive and angry posts that want us denied services our taxes have paid for are people who have left or no longer live in Thailand. Many had a bad experience, and this is their way of getting revenge on those who remain here without the same problems. Others are people who have already received their vaccines and may have flown home in a snit to do so. The "got theirs" after going home crowd want to see everybody put through the grinder just like them. 

• Thanks 1

I think China Russia and Iran are the best destinations for American people who want to be vaccinated. All of these countries are vaccine producers. And all of them also have embassies in Bangkok to assist the trip. Traveling to America to get Pfizered is too expensive now.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I think China Russia and Iran are the best destinations for American people who want to be vaccinated. All of these countries are vaccine producers. And all of them also have embassies in Bangkok to assist the trip. Traveling to America to get Pfizered is too expensive now.

Ha ha.  Meanwhile, friends flying back to the US report their planes are filled with wealthy and connected Thais..... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, starky said:

Do you imagine Americans are the only ones who pay taxes in their home countries? I've been living here 20 years and pay upwards of 50k Aussie dollars to my government every year. As one poster said you chose to come here to find a better place to live or what ever reason your here. You may not be the only ones paying taxes in your birth country but your certainly the ones doing all the wringing about not being able to get a vaccine.

This topic is about American taxpayers in Thailand wanting the US government to supply them services their tax dollars have paid for. It's not about Australia. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Why is it unreasonable, as the OP indicates it has been done before?

Yes, and reportedly the Chinese are doing it.  https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-03-16/China-s-embassy-in-Egypt-launches-vaccination-drive-for-Chinese--YG6K90IqEE/index.html

If the US is sending surplus vaccines overseas anyway, why would this be unreasonable?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This topic is about American taxpayers in Thailand wanting the US government to supply them services their tax dollars have paid for. It's not about Australia. 

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Just now, placeholder said:

Because there are many times more Americans in Thailand now than there were back then. The Embassy would be overwhelmed.

That might be a good point. I don't know. Are there more Americans here than in 1980? There were a large number of Vietnam veterans who settled in Thailand after the war, in addition to the usual number of businessmen and businesswomen. I suspect, although I don't know, that the number of USAID workers, educators, and refugee workers back then was much higher. I would be interested to see the numbers on this, especially as I have another suspicion that since Covid a large portion of the Americans who were in Thailand have left. The few times I've been to Chaengwattana since Covid provides anecdotal evidence that this might be the case, as during my visits I have seen few Westerners, much less Americans.

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This issue of protecting your nationals is a vital ones. From all appearances, the Chinese are making that a priority in their foreign policy: treat a Chinese citizen badly = treating China badly. The relative strength of a country is reflected in this, and the Chinese know it. The US and its embassies' lack of a backbone on this issue makes the US look weak and ineffectual.

You do realize that Beijing doesn't even publish vaccination rates for its own country.

The best you can do is look at HK rates which are well below the average.

China isn't exporting excess doses but more as a diplomatic leverage issue

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There are doses available but they are not available to expats. This is a particularly atrocious situation for high risk expats bring blocked from access on the same schedule as Thais. Does it need to be spelled out what the consequences will be from this?

This is why this is an exceptional situation where embassies really should step in to help their own nationals during this historically momentous global pandemic. They won't for the most part but they still really should. 

I just registered (with some help, but not from my embassy) with the Thai government app, Mor Prom, and scheduled an appointment to get my first vaccine shot at my local, government hospital on Jun 7!

I don't know which vaccine it will be, but... any port in a storm.
Edited by billsmart
Added comment

I posted earlier. I am an "American" (U.S. citizen), and I just registered (with some help. but not from my embassy) with the Thai government app, Mor Prom, and scheduled an appointment to get my first vaccine shot at my local, government hospital on Jun 7!

2 minutes ago, billsmart said:
I just registered (with some help, but not from my embassy) with the Thai government app, Mor Prom, and scheduled an appointment to get my first vaccine shot at my local, government hospital on Jun 7!

Pink ID?