Expected shortage of AstraZeneca production in Thailand in June

Scale up is not trivial and rarely goes perfectly.  That said, how quickly it gets resolved depends on the experience of those running the program.  I never believed their timelines and figured that they were just continuing with their Hope For The Best, Plan For The Best thinking and strategy, which seems to be baked into their DNA at this point.  So I'm guessing that pilot looked good, it was this that generated the material that passed QA/QC and that they are planning on doing this smaller scale to produce vaccines.  But will this interfere with efforts to iron out the wrinkles they've encountered with scale-up?

One thing is certain - I would not want to work for Siam Biosciences right now.  

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

What is the problem?? Some weeks ago Bioscience said that would deliver the vaccines in JULY, but the government says all the the time June.... So BioScience knew already that they could not deliver in June.. So nothing new

I did find some press activity on/about 18/19 April 2021, which does reference July, so you are correct.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157960036572050

It is odd that most communcations over the intervening period still references June.

from an article....

Before the doses are delivered to the government in July as planned, they will be sent to AstraZeneca, who will carry out final quality and safety inspections, it said.

and in the same article...

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul earlier said that between 6-10 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine will be ready for use in June.

and in another article...

The deputy government spokeswoman says that between 6-10 million doses of the vaccine will be ready to be administered in June.

So maybe I'm not the only one who is confused?

July it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Is there any country where AZ didn't have production problems?

And ?

It is supposed to make us feel better ?

Do you really want to know what happened... in a factory in Italy.... during the clinical trials of AZ in may 2020... ?

Your mind will be blown away....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9086297/How-Oxford-vaccines-dosing-mix-REALLY-happened.html

Bon appétit.

But, please, don't speak about "science" after...

I remind you that this kolossal f.... up is at the heart of the so called "70 % efficiency" of this vaccine...

They made an AVERAGE.... !!!

Link : https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/23/europe/astrazeneca-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-intl/index.html

"The vaccine, developed with the University of Oxford, showed 90% efficacy in one dosing regimen -- when the vaccine was given to 2,741 people as a half dose, followed by a full dose at least a month later -- and 62% efficacy in a second regimen -- when two full doses were given to 8,895 people at least a month apart. That averages to a 70% efficacy, AstraZeneca said.

It is not yet clear why the two dosages produced such different results."

Not clear ? ????

This is not science.

This is Luigi who drank too much Grappa.. and who cook a pizza in his home.

It's a joke.

But be my guest : enjoy your AstraZeneca.
Edited by cclub75
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 5/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, AnnieSeek said:

Talk of not having the logistics is utter nonsense. Logistics is the easy part ! You don't need a fancy 5 star hotel or a hospital. In the UK, we have busses in the city centre's doing vaccinations, you have pharmacies, doctor surgeries, churches, stadiums ... any building will do. Nurses, doctors, pharmacists, hell even animal doctors are being used here can administer the shot. It's a national effort. 

Of course if by June they can only produce 2 million doses then that is desperatley dissapointing. 

Yes.  Where I am in the US, it's getting easier to get a shot.  I was just in Walmart today and they have shots.  The private sector is important to help roll out this stuff.  In my small state alone, look at the number of shots given by other than government agencies:

image.png.4414a4a224d43dfb05ba2f614dee7db0.png

Here's one of the UK Covid buses. 

image.png.2f32aaa1b147dff2d0fd8992c0034bdc.png

Edited by Scott
False info edited out