Retirement extension

I have had a retirement visa for the last two years with no issues, went to extend today but was refused as I dipped under the 800k by 4,000bt for one day within the first 3 months.. Can you believe it.. I didn't realize this had happened as it was a direct debit for my car payment and the account was replenished within 48 hrs.. A little harsh I think, but them's the rules.. I was told I could only get a covid visa and then would have to leave the country. I still have a few weeks before my visa expires.. Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do now?? I have a family here and and child still in school. It would be impossible for them if I have to leave due to travel restrictions/ quarantine etc...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Change the reason for your extension application to marriage/child.

Only 400K required in the bank for two months prior to an extension application based on Thai wife.

Only 400K required in the bank on the day of application based on Thai child.

Which way you proceed depends on a couple of issues;

1. Are you legally married to a Thai registered in Thailand.

2. Was the child born in wedlock, or do you have parental custody of the child. 

Yes and Yes to your questions, There is a problem here though as I am separated (divorce pending) from my wife but I have custody of my daughter

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Then you can apply based on Thai child.

Your daughter will have to accompany you for the extension..

400K in the bank on the day of application.

What docs/pics needed??

1 minute ago, clivebaxter said:

Do through agent for about 14k but likely they will get from another province. This is a perfect case where an officer should be using their discretion to overlook this small bank book amount, but they will only if paid and almost always via an agent.

Yes, my thoughts exactly...... Does anyone know of any agents in Nonthaburi??

2 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly...... Does anyone know of any agents in Nonthaburi??

Does not have to be there, try thai visa agent on here based at bang na, they cannot get the extension from Nonthaburi though, Grace can sort it. But based on looking after Thai child safer and cheaper

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

Just recalled a Chinese woman I know gets an extension based on looking after a Thai child, the kid is Chinese, she paid a Thai to agree he was the father. Not only that a couple of years ago she was well short of 400k in the bank- she just put 1k in her passport when she handed it over at immigration!

• Haha 2

Last year Samui Immigration turned my application down as I was 126 bht ans 78 centangs under tge 800 k and that was only for 24 hours all because the bank took out the 200 bht debit card commission thankfully I had another bank account with funds which meant I had to go get another letter and statements all that anxiety over 127 baht and that was the only time I had fallen below the 800k since my last extension that’s why the adverts all claim “ Amazing Thailand “ I’m due to renew next month now living on Phangan Samui is a red zone which means if I go I may have to go into quarantine for 14 days when I arrive back on Phangan only ☹️☹️☹️☹️ Maybe the time has come to cough up and pay an agent 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Last year Samui Immigration turned my application down as I was 126 bht ans 78 centangs under tge 800 k and that was only for 24 hours all because the bank took out the 200 bht debit card commission thankfully I had another bank account with funds which meant I had to go get another letter and statements all that anxiety over 127 baht and that was the only time I had fallen below the 800k since my last extension that’s why the adverts all claim “ Amazing Thailand “ I’m due to renew next month now living on Phangan Samui is a red zone which means if I go I may have to go into quarantine for 14 days when I arrive back on Phangan only ☹️☹️☹️☹️ Maybe the time has come to cough up and pay an agent 

Before paying an agent be aware of the possible implications of it, looks to me like once you go with them you are stuck with them for everything else. Going back to DIY you may have some explaining to do at your real immigration office.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, rwill said:

Did you ask if you could get a 60 day extension so that you would then have the 3 months required?

It is not the 2 months (it is not longer 3 months) before that he has problem with. It is the 800k baht requirement for 3 months after the day he applied for his previous extension and there is no way to fix that now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not the 2 months (it is not longer 3 months) before that he has problem with. It is the 800k baht requirement for 3 months after the day he applied for his previous extension and there is no way to fix that now.

Yes.  You are correct.  I did not think that through properly.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct sir....

57 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m due to renew next month now living on Phangan Samui is a red zone which means if I go I may have to go into quarantine for 14 days when I arrive back on Phangan only

There is a good chance that the new Koh Phangan Immigration office will finally be open by then and you can do it there. It's next to the Police Station and already on Google Maps.

But if not, going to Koh Samui Immigration (with all requirements 100 % in order) is not that a big hassle. Yes, they have more covid cases but all you have to do is register your arrival and where you have been before via a QR code that you get with your ferry ticket, both ways on a different website, for Samui and another one for Phangan.  No quarantine, unless this is brand new, just a temperature scan and some formalities. I know what I am talking about because I had to go to Samui and back to Phangan three times in the last few weeks.
Special advice: Make sure to leave the ferry as one of the first passengers, both ways, to avoid/reduce waiting times for the arrival checks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bootly66 said:

What docs/pics needed??

Same documents as for a retirement extension, with the addition of your Marriage certificate, Childs birth certificate, Childs ID, photo's together outside and inside your home.

Documents can vary from office to office, so check beforehand with Nonthaburi.

If you contemplate using an agent, ( I wouldn't recommend when you can fix the problem yourself), then it's easier to do it based on retirement.

I know you are separated pending divorce, but the Marriage certificate + Birth certificate proves your child was born in wedlock, which automatically make you the legitimate Father.

Regarding the required funds in the bank, of which you are not the first or will be the last to fall foul of the requirements due to an unforeseen error of judgement. May I suggest you open a 6 month Fixed Term account for 800K, followed by a 6 month Fixed Term account for the 400K to prevent you falling below the requirement accidentally.

Alternatively a 12 month Fixed Term account if keeping the 800K in all year around.

Keep the Savings account for bill and living expenses.

I did my Non Immi O-A last week. All gone smoothly.

I had all paperwork as requested.

Just for the health insurance she asked: policy.

I had the receipt and prove from company that it was on the immigration system.

Not enough, she wanted a copy of the whole policy.

Open my folder and here you go.

Sorted for another year.

She looked at my 90 day report that was in my passport. It was the one expired in April. As they had a problem with reporting online, I did send the next one by post (they received it on 07 April but nothing back yet) . She didn't mention anything about that.

Edited by AlfHuy

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

I did my Non Immi O-A last week. All gone smoothly.

I had all paperwork as requested.

Just for the health insurance she asked: policy.

I had the receipt and prove from company that it was on the immigration system.

Not enough, she wanted a copy of the whole policy.

Open my folder and here you go.

Sorted for another year.

You had to show insurance for extension of stay???

1 minute ago, bootly66 said:

yes, required if you hold a Non Immi. O-A

The old one will expire 31st May and the new one (paid already for) starting on 01st of June.

Both are on the immigration system. My insurance company gave me prove which I printed and had is as back-up.

• Like 1

excuse me for asking,but if a person wants to change from an O-A extension to a marraige extension is n't the requirement that you have to leave the country to apply at an embassy/consulate for an "O" VISA and then convert to marraige extension back in thailand?

34 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

If you enter on a Non Imm O-A Visa, yes.

This is one of the changes since you were last in Thailand.

Health Insurance is required for 1 year extensions as well as for the Visa application.

The requirement is 400K inpatient, 40K outpatient coverage.

It's further complicate by the fact they will not accept foreign policies unless they sign a certificate, or are on the approved list of tgia Insurers, which Immigration can check.

The list of approved Insurers is here:

Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand (tgia.org)

Health Insurance is not compulsory for 1 year extension based on a Non Imm O entry.

A little harsh, and another IO on another day may have overlooked it. Bit of a “horse already bolted” tip...... I always carry more in that account to accommodate the unanticipated or forgotten withdrawals.

Hope you get it sorted.

24 minutes ago, thasoss said:

excuse me for asking,but if a person wants to change from an O-A extension to a marraige extension is n't the requirement that you have to leave the country to apply at an embassy/consulate for an "O" VISA and then convert to marraige extension back in thailand?

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from a OA visa entry to one based upon marriage to a Thai without needing to get a new visa and insurance will not be required. Many have done it already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Same documents as for a retirement extension, with the addition of your Marriage certificate, Childs birth certificate, Childs ID, photo's together outside and inside your home.

Documents can vary from office to office, so check beforehand with Nonthaburi.

If you contemplate using an agent, ( I wouldn't recommend when you can fix the problem yourself), then it's easier to do it based on retirement.

I know you are separated pending divorce, but the Marriage certificate + Birth certificate proves your child was born in wedlock, which automatically make you the legitimate Father.

Regarding the required funds in the bank, of which you are not the first or will be the last to fall foul of the requirements due to an unforeseen error of judgement. May I suggest you open a 6 month Fixed Term account for 800K, followed by a 6 month Fixed Term account for the 400K to prevent you falling below the requirement accidentally.

Alternatively a 12 month Fixed Term account if keeping the 800K in all year around.

Keep the Savings account for bill and living expenses.

I wasn't aware that a fixed term account of 800k  is accepted by the immigration?

Should I definitely open up a 800k fixed term deposit? 

I do use an agency for all my immigration work. 

(I keep a saving account usually with 1 million to 1 million and 200000 Baht. 

The only reason I do that, my bank with 1 million Baht + is paying a much higher interest rate than if you keep it below 1 million.) 

55 minutes ago, thasoss said:

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from a OA visa entry to one based upon marriage to a Thai without needing to get a new visa and insurance will not be required. Many have done it already.

Yeap....me for one.  Last year/2020 at CW I switched from an OA extension of stay based on my 2008 OA visa to a marriage extension of stay...I had a dozen uneventful retirement extensions of stay under my belt.  I specifically did the switch to avoid the health insurance requirement.   

No problem in doing so but the IO stressed in English and Thai language to the Thai wife and I that I would not be allowed to switch back to a retirement extension of stay with the underlying, old OA visa if desiring such in the future....if I wanted to switch back to a retirement extension of stay in the future I would have to leave the country and get a new visa.  

I know people supposedly switch back and forth between a retirement extension of stay and marriage extension of stay without leaving the country....all I can say is the CW IO was very clear to the Thai wife and I that I could only do the switch this one time.....additional switches would require leaving the country and getting a new visa.

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Change the reason for your extension application to marriage/child.

Only 400K required in the bank for two months prior to an extension application based on Thai wife.

Only 400K required in the bank on the day of application based on Thai child.

Which way you proceed depends on a couple of issues;

1. Are you legally married to a Thai registered in Thailand.

2. Was the child born in wedlock, or do you have parental custody of the child. 

My god that's a bit harsh .same happened to my friend she took money out of wrong account put back next day as soon as ahe realised.they were having n9ne of it.even ad the nerve to ask what she took the money out for.she rold them that's my business ????