Retirement extension

forget all the hassles and just use an agent  ????

Before paying an agent be aware of the possible implications of it, looks to me like once you go with them you are stuck with them for everything else.

not true<
just make sure ur 800,000 is in the bank on the first day you get ur extension (or the 65,000 transfered into ur Thai bank)
next year ur back to as you were before

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from a OA visa entry to one based upon marriage to a Thai without needing to get a new visa and insurance will not be required. Many have done it already.

thanks for the answer.My local immigration office keep telling me I would have to go outside thailand ,apply for a non "O" based on retirement and later at their office apply for an extension based on married.Are you saying my immigration office are able to change the extension of my O-A straight to a marraige extension?

59 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap....me for one.  Last year/2020 at CW I switched from an OA extension of stay based on my 2008 OA visa to a marriage extension of stay...I had a dozen uneventful retirement extensions of stay under my belt.  I specifically did the switch to avoid the health insurance requirement.  

ok thanks for that.Then my immigration officer is not telling me this.As of now i am not married,but currently in a 6 year relationship and I have been thinking I should get married to make my life easier financially,not very romantic i know but practical,

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I’m due to renew next month now living on Phangan Samui is a red zone which means if I go I may have to go into quarantine for 14 days when I arrive back on Phangan only ☹️☹️☹️☹️ Maybe the time has come to cough up and pay an agent 

Commuting between the islands don't need a quarantine...

179265759_300363074955336_296857402623772636_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=6DAvfxGVsc8AX8ScRvl&_nc_ht=scontent.furt1-1.fna&oh=77a8e5c395acd6cffd69243f96c67f4f&oe=60AD4A38

Source...

When staying on extensions based on retirement with deposit, the best way to handle the deposit is to keep it in a separate account, so no money is withdrawn by accident; it also makes it much easier for the immigration officer to check.

If you can afford it just leave 800k baht in a fixed account, fx. 12 months fixed for best interest, and withdraw the annual interest so the balance is always straight on 800k baht; this method has worked well for me for ages, well at least for several years...????

If you use another type of account and withdraw during the period where only 400k deposit is need, it's important to be aware of both balance, and the two month prior to application for renewal of extension of stay where the balance again need to be topped up to 800k baht.

????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thasoss said:

... I should get married to make my life easier financially, not very romantic i know but practical,

Well, it might make it easier to get an extension of stay each year, but now you have wife maintenance upkeep costs....and some wife models are high maintenance.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, it might make it easier to get an extension of stay each year, but now you have wife maintenance upkeep costs....and some wife models are high maintenance.

thanks Pib but i'm already there

I would like to suggest that people keep a buffer amount in their bank accounts to cover the occasional glitches of unintended withdrawals.  How about 805,000 or 405,000?  That would be insurance against needing to pay an agent or redo your permission to stay.  Whatever amount is needed to cover an unexpected withdrawal should be kept in the account which should be untouchable for ordinary use.  Perhaps those who are caught by small unexpected underages could discreetly ask if there is some way that the small amount could be overlooked just this time.  Also, there may be agents who can fix the small error for a small fee.  It doesn't hurt to do some asking around at immmigration but it must be done discretely.

Learn your lesson and use an agent for this year and put it down to experience. I have just done mine for 13k baht a simple easy process from meeting up with the agent, popping in the bank next door, getting my photo taken by the immigration lady. I had my passport and extension back next day.

11 hours ago, Jurg said:

I wasn't aware that a fixed term account of 800k  is accepted by the immigration?

Should I definitely open up a 800k fixed term deposit? 

I do use an agency for all my immigration work. 

They will accept a Savings account, Fixed Term account and Foreign currency accounts, all of which allow immediate access to funds if required.