BEWARE scam related to sending registered letters to UK

Speedo1968

Earlier this year my pension company in the UK sent me forms for completion and return.
I sent the letter back to my pension company by registered mail.

A few weeks later I received the same documents again for completion.
Assuming the earlier one was "lost" or delayed due to Covid I completed the forms again and sent one by normal post and one by registered.
A week later I receive an email saying that due to increase in postal rates in the UK I need to pay a few baht more in postage.   ( the increase was just a few baht !? ).
I did not reply to any of the emails which stopped after three emails had been sent to me for each letter.

This morning I took a copy of the emails ( along with those related to the first letter I posted ) and the postal receipts  to my local post office and spoke with the manager.

He checked my email online and said that it was scam to get people to pay by credit card i.e. credit card fraud.
He also said that the post office would never send an email and would contact the sender by phone only if there were postal issues.

There had been NO increase in postal tax at either end.
He said that my letters had been "released" and one was already tracked to the UK.

I was unable to find out which end of the postal services was running the scam and, as to where the people had got the information regarding what I had paid for posting the letters and, where had they got my email address from.

Another question remains in that who is holding the mail as my last letter was posted here on 27th April and it's now 11th May and its still on it's way.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Earlier this year my pension company in the UK sent me forms for completion and return.
I sent the letter back to my pension company by registered mail.

A few weeks later I received the same documents again for completion.
Assuming the earlier one was "lost" or delayed due to Covid I completed the forms again and sent one by normal post and one by registered.
A week later I receive an email saying that due to increase in postal rates in the UK I need to pay a few baht more in postage.  

If this is a Thailand Post "scam" ,as you are suggesting, how did TP get your email address (sending registered post doesn't require it) and why would TP have any concern about UK postal charges when post from Thailand is subject only to Thailand's charges?

Note that the TP Manager did not say that it was a credit card fraud attempt by Thailand Post.  That you are posting here that it is is libelous and defamatory. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Another question remains in that who is holding the mail as my last letter was posted here on 27th April and it's now 11th May and its still on it's way.

Maybe it has been caught up in the recent COVID-related temporary suspension?

6 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

There was a news item about all international post being stopped at Swampy as it was closed for a couple of weeks so that may (or may not) be the reason for the delay. Apparently I believe now open again?

@OJAS just beat me to it

Edited by topt

OP – Further to my initial post:-

This morning, Wednesday, I returned to the local post office and spoke with the manager again.

he confirms the following:-

1)  My email account ( one of three ) has probably been hacked.

2)  The email showing the Post Office logo and purported to have come from the Post Office has been gleaned from original Post Office documents.

3)  The Post Office never contacts a person by email only by phone which was, in my case, a wrongly recorded number at the Post Office.

4)  The numbers on the email for the post record numbers are wrong compared with the post office receipt.

5)  The Post Office stated that no increase in tax prices had occurred and that if they had it would have been from the Thai end.

6)  The scammers have asked for payment by credit card which the Post Office would never do.

7)  The letters have just arrived in the UK.

8)  Finally, the manager reported the case to the central office along with the email address details of the sender of the  request for payment.    He stated that this is a scam and not unknown to the Post Office and that they were aware of this fact.

9)  I have of course Blacklisted all of the scam emails.

What I can’t understand is why the original forms I returned to the UK have only just arrived.  

Secondly how did the scammers know I had posted letters ?

I have had Thai email accounts for 20 years and this is the first such issue with scamming.    Normally I block all emails that I do not recognise this time it was a coincidence that I had just had issues with mail not arriving to the UK.

Please note that in NO way did I / do I intend to libel the Post Office, just to warn people of the risks from email, especially when so much post has been delayed due to Covid.