Interesting Off-Road Destinations in Ubon

kirimaks

Can anybody advice any interesting off road destinations around Ubon? I've been to the canyon, great place but not too much place to drive, so I wonder maybe anybody can share some interesting places, thanks.

11 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

You're talking about off-road motorcycling, right? Do you mean near the city or are you referring to the province, which is large?

What kind of bike have you got?

Oh, not really, I'm going by car, but if you know any interesting places to go by bike please let me know, I will keep for future.
Yes, I mean the whole province.

2 minutes ago, kirimaks said:

Which one? I don't have Thai tv.

I think it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the over the top ads on Thai TV for pickup trucks which show them, quite unrealistically, often being driven over boulders, through the jungle and fording rivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I think it's supposed to be a joke, mate.

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I am beginning to think he is having us on!!!!

Never mind, if you guys trying to sell me a truck, I don't need it at the moment, sorry. But if somebody will need I will send you as a recommendation ????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jonnit said:

You may find a few at this site: https://wikitravel.org/en/Talk:Ubon_Ratchathani/Listings

13 minutes ago, chrissables said:

A nice ride to here, pick up too and the Thai farmers / workers go there. You get so far and walk the rest, i did not complete to the cliff edge

https://goo.gl/maps/zbGw4pcaterLSTLh6

1-DSCF0599[1].JPG

Thanks, looks great.

Ubon and the provinces going up the Mekong are filled with some amazing hidden treasures. I've found the best balance of both local culture and untamed nature to be mountain temples and national parks. If you use a google map search of the province and zoom to certain rural areas you should often see the 'temple icon' show up, and you can set them as destinations and go exploring. Use the geographical version of google maps to see if they are mountaintop. For driving thru national parks, if the roads are not paved be sure to check weather because dirt roads can turn to mudslides in wet conditions. Recommend if you don't speak Thai to have someone with you that does in case directions start to go twilight-zone. Having a low-gear vehicle and good tires is also recommended, and take screenshots of maps where you plan to go in case you lose electronic connection. If you are really adventurous you can find natural and cultural icons that rival the best tourist spots yet are not even found on google maps. Personally i would not upload photos to google if you do reach such places. Generally the areas along the Mekong river will have them. It is an interesting and humbling experience to be at a temple as grand as the well-publicized ones full of people yet to be the only person there for hours. 

24 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Ubon and the provinces going up the Mekong are filled with some amazing hidden treasures. I've found the best balance of both local culture and untamed nature to be mountain temples and national parks. If you use a google map search of the province and zoom to certain rural areas you should often see the 'temple icon' show up, and you can set them as destinations and go exploring. Use the geographical version of google maps to see if they are mountaintop. For driving thru national parks, if the roads are not paved be sure to check weather because dirt roads can turn to mudslides in wet conditions. Recommend if you don't speak Thai to have someone with you that does in case directions start to go twilight-zone. Having a low-gear vehicle and good tires is also recommended, and take screenshots of maps where you plan to go in case you lose electronic connection. If you are really adventurous you can find natural and cultural icons that rival the best tourist spots yet are not even found on google maps. Personally i would not upload photos to google if you do reach such places. Generally the areas along the Mekong river will have them. It is an interesting and humbling experience to be at a temple as grand as the well-publicized ones full of people yet to be the only person there for hours. 

Yes this area around Mekong is very cool, this is some of my recent trips:

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_1640.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1