Is mail from the U.S.A. being delivered?

acepredator

My sister in America recently tried to send an envelope to me in Chiang Mai. The address she used was the same address I've had for the past ten years. Until now, there's never been a problem receiving mail from her. This time, however, the USPS returned the envelope from San Francisco, saying it could not be delivered as addressed. Is mail not being accepted in Thailand due to the recent lockdown? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

Ordered a couple pairs of shoes from Amazon (US).  When tracking the packages, for the last few days it would show “out for delivery”.  Finally, today it showed that the packages were undeliverable due to “driveway being blocked”.(whatever that means...I live in a condo on Sukhumvit and it wasn’t blocked).  So, now they are being returned to sender and Amazon has issued a full refund.  Make of that what you will.  

Edited by Airalee

57 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

International mail "office of exchange" at Swampy was closed for a number of days (5? ) due to a Covid issue. The mail service resumed last Thursday.

Thanks for your reply. I would think that any mail received during the limited number of days the office was closed would just be held somewhere pending delivery here in Thailand. I can't imagine why the mail would be returned to the people who sent it. 

7 hours ago, acepredator said:

This time, however, the USPS returned the envelope from San Francisco

So you're saying the letter made it from Mayberry to San Francisco, then back to Mayberry? Without ever leaving the U.S.?

When was this, and if you can be precise all the better.

I received a standard air-mail letter ($1.20) from the U.S., east coast, this week. It took ~ 16 days.

16 days from USA to Thailand and nothing since the tracking info below:

4/23/21 2:33 PM - Your item departed a transfer airport in BANGKOK, THAILAND . The item is currently in transit to the destination

Edited by mojaco
Spelling

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So you're saying the letter made it from Mayberry to San Francisco, then back to Mayberry? Without ever leaving the U.S.?

When was this, and if you can be precise all the better.

I received a standard air-mail letter ($1.20) from the U.S., east coast, this week. It took ~ 16 days.

According to the tracking on the USPS website, the envelope cleared customs in San Francisco on 04 May at 16:51. On 10 May at 10:29 it was on its way back to the sender. I'm assuming that between the 4th and the 10th it arrived in Thailand, was rejected as being undeliverable, and was sent back to my sister. 

7 minutes ago, acepredator said:

According to the tracking on the USPS website, the envelope cleared customs in San Francisco on 04 May at 16:51. On 10 May at 10:29 it was on its way back to the sender. I'm assuming that between the 4th and the 10th it arrived in Thailand, was rejected as being undeliverable, and was sent back to my sister. 

I would say rejected as the place was shutdown due to Covid for cleansing.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I would say rejected as the place was shutdown due to Covid for cleansing.

That's certainly possible, but it seems much more reasonable to me to just hold the mail until the cleansing process was completed and then send the mail on its way. Why send it all the way back to its country of origin? It's not as if the mail could be a vector of COVID.

Small package, USPS, mailed April 28 from Steilacoom WA. I received here in Chiang Mai, yesterday May 12. However due to semi lockdown, concierge working half shifts, it could have been in, for as long as 5 days, sitting in her room.

Still happy it arrived, customs did not hold and extort. It's all good. 

16 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Small package, USPS, mailed April 28 from Steilacoom WA. I received here in Chiang Mai, yesterday May 12. However due to semi lockdown, concierge working half shifts, it could have been in, for as long as 5 days, sitting in her room.

Still happy it arrived, customs did not hold and extort. It's all good. 

Thanks for your reply. Thirteen days for a package to be in your hands does seem unusually long in my experience. These days, of course, it could be the new normal. At least you got the package. I assume you have a good relationship with your concierge.

Lately I've had a terrible personal problem with the concierge of my building. I'm afraid she may have told the delivery person that I moved out, causing the package to be returned. An extremely valuable lesson to learn is never <deleted> off your concierge, for if you do you may never see a piece of mail again.

• 5 weeks later...

Data point:

From U.S.A. to Thailand.

Standard letter, airmail (Chrysanthemum, $1.20) stamp.

Postmarked suburban Boston, May 3, 2021.

Received Thai Post Office Box, June 12, 2021.

So 40 days.

What's interesting is the envelope is immaculate.

Not sure if it sat somewhere, or came by some slow conveyance?

I had received similar letters prior to this one, Feb, Mar, and those took ~ 14-ish days.

Small package from an eBay seller in US took less than two weeks to reach Thailand. After arriving in Thailand, it took almost another full month to be delivered to my address in Bangkok. Somebody definitely dropped the ball here.

I have got some mail from the U.S.  However two of the pieces of correspondence were greatly delayed.  Both of them at far different dates had stamped on the envelope "delayed" incorrectly mailed to Malaysia.