Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

21 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The insurance requirement will be kept in place. If you test positive (could be false positive) you'll spend your very precious holiday locked up in hospital-better have cover for that. 

The insurance is fine. It is around $100 for 30 days. People should have travel insurance anyway. There would be no quarantine so you wouldn’t be tested unless by choice.

5 minutes ago, nkg said:

The Thai covid insurance is a rip-off. It's the same price whether or not I've been vaccinated, and it covers nothing except covid. I have no objection to paying for real travel insurance.

I believe you can buy any insurance as long as it has the 100k coverage.  In fact they even advertise it for travel to Thailand... but it also includes baggage insurance, cancellation, emergency evac, hospitalization for any reason including covid, etc. 

It is suggested that you apply for a COE at least 2 weeks in advance; which means a firm decision would need to be made by June 15 if Phuket is really going to open on July 1 and get any tourists. 

I live in Phuket but came to the US a couple of weeks ago to see the family and get my Pfizer vaccination. When Ieft I was expecting a 7 day (now 14 day) quarantine upon my return. If the government made up their mind about Phuket's sandbox I'd remain in the US until July 1, change my Qatar return flight (they are adding Phuket flights July 1) and land there. But I'd imagine an announcement will come on the last day of June.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Who do they think will want to come to Thailand for a holiday knowing they face quarantene when they return home?

I think a lot of people want to take a holliday and when return home have an extra 14 days holliday ???? as long as they don't have to quarantine here when on acctual holliday .

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, nkg said:

The only real reason people are buying this insurance is because it's one of the requirements when you apply for a Certificate of Entry from the Thai Embassy.

Technically, you can buy any policy with the 100k coverage, but what are you going to do if the Thai Embassy reject your choice of insurer and turn down your CoE application? Do you still have time to submit a new CoE application? And good luck getting a refund for your insurance ...

The insurance companies know about the COE requirement to Thailand. Some are advertising that they qualify!

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If Thailand opening to vaccinated tourists is anything more than showing your vaccination card in departures and immigration , then it's not going to be a success is it ? 

Shockingly you can easily pick up these cards and write on them with a PEN you've had the vaccine - date, batch number, etc I'm shocked beyond horror that the embassy in London was accepting THIS as the sole proof to shorten the quarantine to 7 days. 

Beyond a disgrace. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

This constant drivel is like water-boarding.

Who in the hell is going to come to a country that is largely un-vaccinated?

What shall we do today honey?... lets go see if we can find a restaurant that's open, or a cafe to have breakfast, ok lets just call Grab and have it delivered to our room.

Then we can swing by the field hospitals and drop off some grapes for the inmates, after lunch maybe go look at the queues of people at the hospitals waiting for their Covid tests..

Not sure about tonight, looks like an early night with the TV.

It is conditional on 70% of the local population (Phuket) being vaccinated. Of course everything would be open.

• Like 2