Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

I thought you could still contract Covid after being vaccinated only the symptoms are lessened? That means someone could be vaccinated but still bring the virus with them or am I missing something? I can't see how anything would be different to now re would require quarantine, negative test etc. Anyway in any case I am sure it is just more of the

childish / ridiculous wishful thinking you read here in the media everyday

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

More false hope as airlines not starting up on Thailand’s schedule, people won’t have restaurants and bars to go to, there is no attraction and it’s rainy season, so you can say your open but nobody is coming????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I thought you could still contract Covid after being vaccinated only the symptoms are lessened? That means someone could be vaccinated but still bring the virus with them or am I missing something? I can't see how anything would be different to now re would require quarantine, negative test etc. Anyway in any case I am sure it is just more of the

childish / ridiculous wishful thinking you read here in the media everyday

Studies have shown that transmission goes way down after a sizeable portion of the population gets vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

Still way better and cheaper than 14 days at an overpriced ASQ

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fleccer said:

Yes, of course, you also deny the evidence

Vaccinations are still under way.  I posted true and verified information, all you posted was the current numbers vaccinated which do show just a tad under 50%, however as I said vaccinations are still progressing.  You also made a claim that 50% of Europeans and Americans have not been vaccinated and do not intend to, now or ever?, I posted information showing this other statement is truly misinformation.  If you can prove your statement then post facts and links or stop with the insistence that all your information is truthfull and not misleading.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

All in triplicate copies with names and addresses of the doctors who vaccinated you. Then probably have to visit a Thai hospital every 2 days for a check up. Fill in 2 forms if you move Hotels, Prove that you are a tourist, Register your last stay. insurance in Thai  Translation which must be certified at your embassy, proof you have 10 million baht as back up, 

its all going to be fine

• Haha 2

"Come!  Come to The Land of Shots (LOS).  We had to rename the Land of Smiles to the Land of Shots because here in the LO-Shots you must wear a mask all day long and you will never-ever again see a Thai Smile." 
Come, come see the wonders of Thailand's Lock-down State.
Come to our tropical paradise and enjoy the idealistic quiet of shuttered shops and long closed tourist business. Want a beer or a massage?  No no no!  We protect you Farang!  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
We now have reef sharks and new coral.  No, no no!  You may not visit them.  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
Did your friends warn you of aggressive Tuk Tuk drivers?  No worry.  The government took care of the problem by killing the tourist trade by labeling most tourist activities as non-essential.  So no worry Farangs!  Tuk tuks are now as rare as hen's teeth.  Don't worry.  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
And don't worry.  Thailand will protect you.  Just wear this GPS monitor and everything will be wonderful for you.  But? Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
And Thailand has first world Covid testing to keep you safe.  So should you develop the disease as Covid shots do not give you immunity, then you can spend your required $100,000 USD in care of our finest luxury hospitals instead of in the Covid concentration camps set aside for local asymptomatic cases.  Lucky you we make you have enough insurance, 'eh? But.  You no want Covid?  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
So why you wait farang.  You all have had your shots while most of Thailand still waits.  Lucky You!  So come!  Come to New Normal Thailand, leave your money, and go home quick quick.  ???? 

• Confused 1

So "vaccinated" tourists are less dangerous in July than June or even now based on what science??? Vaccinated is vaccinated! Mandatory 2 week quarantine to none is acceptable 30 days later?? Total nonsense!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

"Come!  Come to The Land of Shots (LOS).  We had to rename the Land of Smiles to the Land of Shots because here in the LO-Shots you must wear a mask all day long and you will never-ever again see a Thai Smile." 
Come, come see the wonders of Thailand's Lock-down State.
Come to our tropical paradise and enjoy the idealistic quiet of shuttered shops and long closed tourist business. Want a beer or a massage?  No no no!  We protect you Farang!  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
We now have reef sharks and new coral.  No, no no!  You may not visit them.  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
Did your friends warn you of aggressive Tuk Tuk drivers?  No worry.  The government took care of the problem by killing the tourist trade by labeling most tourist activities as non-essential.  So no worry Farangs!  Tuk tuks are now as rare as hen's teeth.  Don't worry.  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
And don't worry.  Thailand will protect you.  Just wear this GPS monitor and everything will be wonderful for you.  But? Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
And Thailand has first world Covid testing to keep you safe.  So should you develop the disease as Covid shots do not give you immunity, then you can spend your required $100,000 USD in care of our finest luxury hospitals instead of in the Covid concentration camps set aside for local asymptomatic cases.  Lucky you we make you have enough insurance, 'eh? But.  You no want Covid?  Best to stay in your hotel - it's safe!
So why you wait farang.  You all have had your shots while most of Thailand still waits.  Lucky You!  So come!  Come to New Normal Thailand, leave your money, and go home quick quick.  ???? 

"you will never-ever again see a Thai Smile."    Very very sad, Thailand will never be the same again

• Sad 1

According to reports in the context of the annual federal budget statement by the government, Australia will keep its borders firmly shut until mid-2022. So no visitors coming from there. Vaccination is also very slow, with a broad programme not due before October at least. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

I left Thailand on 27th March 2020. It was the only time in 35 years where I wasn't that sad to leave. As you say, virtually everything was closed.

6 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

So "vaccinated" tourists are less dangerous in July than June or even now based on what science??? Vaccinated is vaccinated! Mandatory 2 week quarantine to none is acceptable 30 days later?? Total nonsense!

No. Because there is still some transmission possible from the vaccinated, the higher the percentage of the Thai population that gets vaccinated, the lower the transmission risk from already vaccinated tourists.

32 minutes ago, Uroller said:

More false hope as airlines not starting up on Thailand’s schedule, people won’t have restaurants and bars to go to, there is no attraction and it’s rainy season, so you can say your open but nobody is coming????

And if they come, what will they do?  New Normal Thailand is going to be a tourist panopticon where tourist are racked, stacked, watched, and monitored and tourist facilities and "normal" activities are still considered non-essential and are either closed or out of business.
It's going to be about as exciting as flying to America to take a vacation in downtown Flint, Michigan.

*Panopticon
external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.cd4ca5e09bdf7363fa64cc6e53aa2ba9.jpeg

* The panopticon is a type of institutional building and a system of control designed by the English philosopher and social theorist Jeremy Bentham in the 18th century. The concept of the design is to allow all prisoners of an institution to be observed by a single security guard, without the inmates being able to tell whether they are being watched.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Opening, closing, opening, closing, quarantine 7 days, quarantine 14 days, no quarantine......well what yhe hell will it be is anyone's guess.  

It is thoroughly exhausting keeping up with the nonsense. Meanwhile, every vacuuous utterance bearing no resemblance to reality further diminishes any credibility that these incompetents ever had

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

Some of us have family in Thailand but theres no way I can do 14 days in Quarantine and 10 days on return.

• Like 2

I'm in Pattaya, I do not want tourists until me and mine are vaccinated.

I realise this is selfish and unhelpful to the tourism industry.  Sorry. me and mine first, then my social group, my race, my country.....  then the rest. 

I expect flames, but I'm just being honest about my feelings here.  If you don't like this, what's YOUR priority list?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, desert dueller said:

It is thoroughly exhausting keeping up with the nonsense. Meanwhile, every vacuuous utterance bearing no resemblance to reality further diminishes any credibility that these incompetents ever had

All true statements in my view as well.

4 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I'm in Pattaya, I do not want tourists until me and mine are vaccinated.

I realise this is selfish and unhelpful to the tourism industry.  Sorry. me and mine first, then my social group, my race, my country.....  then the rest. 

I expect flames, but I'm just being honest about my feelings here.  If you don't like this, what's YOUR priority list?  

Your race? Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Former President Harry Truman once said he wanted to meet a one armed economist because any time he asked them for their forecast they would always give it to him but qualify their answer saying "on the other hand" and then proceed to give him a contradicting projection. 

Perhaps Thailand could use a one armed Tourism Minister.  Seems like every day I read one article on various ways to promote tourism, then "on the other hand" immediately following are articles on new restrictions, fees, and guidelines for allowing tourists back into Thailand. 

Edited by Thomas J

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

All true statements in my view as well.

Have to agree... you have heard of pizza by the meter  ?? well try COVID strategy by the day.... every day there seems to be some new utterance that embodies a  lack of causative and strategic thinking, a dash of distorted reality, a pinch of false hope designed to keep the general populace feeling good and a generous  garnish of lack of scientific rigour and understanding... 

From October.

And why are they quarantining vaccinated people NOW? 

The sooner they get rid of the ridiculous quarantine for vaccinated people the sooner tourists will come back.

If they changed the rules now people would come back now.

59 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This graph has nothing to do with the percentage of people who intend to be vaccinated. It simply shows the percentage of people who have been vaccinated. So where's your evidence that at least 50% don't intend to?

We'll see in the end, how many are really been vaccinated 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

plan to waive quarantine for vaccinated travellers from October as a positive step towards positioning the country for a robust post-pandemic recovery.

why would vaccinated (protected) people would come (go) to an unvaccinated (unprotected) one, why would anybody take that risk