Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

16 minutes ago, hioctane said:

That is 3 countries out of 195. Barely any in the grand scheme of things.

But including the UK that is a lot of tourists who won't be coming. If you add India (Thailand has blocked anybody from India even those transiting the country from somewhere else) to the list that will be a whole lot more.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Flu deaths has always been an estimate. Covid IS a respiratory illness. It is called SARS-Cov-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome) after all. That said, since Covid is so contagious, you will likely get Covid before you get the flu. You can still get both.

Actually, it's not a respiratory illness, It's basically a vascular illness. There have been several studies out recently that confirm this.

Covid is a vascular disease not a respiratory one, says study.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/06/covid-19-is-a-vascular-disease-not-a-respiratory-one-says-study

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, it's not a respiratory illness, It's basically a vascular illness. There have been several studies out recently that confirm this.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/06/covid-19-is-a-vascular-disease-not-a-respiratory-one-says-study

This explains why it's so much more dangerous than the flu. It can attack anywhere that there are blood vessels which is pretty much everywhere.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Interesting, but it was considered respiratory at the beginning. It is why it was counted that way. There is still a lot to learn about this coronavirus.

30 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Interesting, but it was considered respiratory at the beginning. It is why it was counted that way. There is still a lot to learn about this coronavirus.

It was but now virologists understand that the virus' focus of  attack is the endothelial cells that line blood vessels. That explains all the anomalies that you don't find in viruses that primarily affect the respiratory system. Blood clots particularly come to mind. Unusually, the physical damage caused by the spike is one of the chief contributors to damage caused by the virus.

Edited by placeholder

26 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Yeah definitely by you. 

1 hour ago, Twin Peaks said:

I am in the same boat minus the 10 days on return. The U.S. only requires a negative covid test prior to entry.

I have not seen my wife, daughter, pets, house, etc... in 16 months. How hard can this be? Vaccinated, test before departure, test on arrival, heck even test 2 - 3 days later. Certainly enough testing to show that my vaccinated a** is not importing covid. I'd even play the insurance game. She could easily come to the U.S. but we have decided neither one of us is making one another do quarantine. No way would I expect my wife and daughter go through 15 miserable nights locked in a hotel room upon return to Thailand, and vice versa.

If the Phuket thing does happen, I wonder what the rules will be? Can she come to the island or will Thais be blocked out? I am hoping it happens so I can at least avoid ASQ jail and move on after 7 days. I am willing to play their games just to see my family but lengthy 14 day ASQ quarantine will keep me away. What's the point in being vaccinated if I can't put it to use?

I live in Florida and the tourism business is booming here as people are fleeing lockdown states with endless restrictions to come enjoy some freedom after 14 months of lockdown garbage. The state has a population of 21.6 million plus who knows how many tourists, the covid cases yesterday were 3,456 with 49 deaths - enough to make the Thai gov't lose their mind. Yet everything is back to normal, mask restrictions are all but eliminated, vaccination sites on every corner, and businesses thriving. Vaccination is the key and yet Thailand is dragging their feet. Get a damn vaccine program for the entire country in place and move on with life.

Know how you feel, thankfully I have spent the last 6 months with Mrs & Miss Chelsefan as they have been in the UK however I've had to ship them back to Thailand last saturday as their visas expire. They are now having to endure jailtime with parole after 14 days in Bangkok and I'm not sure when I will see them again.

I'm crossing my fingers that Phuket does happen, not that I have ever wanted to go there mind you but at least its an option to gain entry. It's frustrating as I'm vaccinated but like you I'll do whatever it takes within reason but I'm not paying over 60,000k to be locked up in a room, I can do that for free here!!!

All I'm hearing from TAT/Government is different levels of noise, I wish they would speak from one voice and tell us if 1st July is happening or not, stop dithering. It's already bad enough that we have to jump through hurdles to get there.

5 hours ago, Twin Peaks said:

I am in the same boat minus the 10 days on return. The U.S. only requires a negative covid test prior to entry.

I have not seen my wife, daughter, pets, house, etc... in 16 months. How hard can this be? Vaccinated, test before departure, test on arrival, heck even test 2 - 3 days later. Certainly enough testing to show that my vaccinated a** is not importing covid. I'd even play the insurance game. She could easily come to the U.S. but we have decided neither one of us is making one another do quarantine. No way would I expect my wife and daughter go through 15 miserable nights locked in a hotel room upon return to Thailand, and vice versa.

If the Phuket thing does happen, I wonder what the rules will be? Can she come to the island or will Thais be blocked out? I am hoping it happens so I can at least avoid ASQ jail and move on after 7 days. I am willing to play their games just to see my family but lengthy 14 day ASQ quarantine will keep me away. What's the point in being vaccinated if I can't put it to use?

I live in Florida and the tourism business is booming here as people are fleeing lockdown states with endless restrictions to come enjoy some freedom after 14 months of lockdown garbage. The state has a population of 21.6 million plus who knows how many tourists, the covid cases yesterday were 3,456 with 49 deaths - enough to make the Thai gov't lose their mind. Yet everything is back to normal, mask restrictions are all but eliminated, vaccination sites on every corner, and businesses thriving. Vaccination is the key and yet Thailand is dragging their feet. Get a damn vaccine program for the entire country in place and move on with life.

Mate is there some reason why 14 days in a hotel room is enough to stop you seeing all those things you love your wife children and pets?

Im  not being smart im curious as to if you have some medical condition that won't allow it? I've been in and out of Thailand twice done quarantine in 4 countries now and next time will be the 7th time in quarantine. I've done 12 weeks all up since last September. The only people that seem to complain about quarantine are the ones who haven't done it.

In fact Thailand was the country I most enjoyed quarantine they are by far the least strict in regards to options. Except for the strange getting out on the 16th day thing which was pretty average tbh lol. Also if ya got your ducks in a row the whole PCR, ASQ, COE procedure is very straight forward IMO I certainly didn't find it overly taxing.

I can understand for your average tourist but for someone who hasn't seen their family for 16 months you can't cop 14 days in a hotel room. That's unique.

Unless it's medical the only thing keeping you from your family is you. If you think ASQ is anything like jail I doubt you ever been in trouble.

I agree with you on the vaccine thing but I think at some stage Thailand will return to 7 days or less for the vaccinated. Im an Aussie I have to do 14 days every time I return home vaccinated or not so it's cost me 2 months overall to see my family thus far but as if I would let something like a 4 star hotel room hold me back.

Edited by starky
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Shockingly you can easily pick up these cards and write on them with a PEN you've had the vaccine - date, batch number, etc I'm shocked beyond horror that the embassy in London was accepting THIS as the sole proof to shorten the quarantine to 7 days. 

Beyond a disgrace. 

Well, almost everybody above a certain age in the UK has actually been vaccinated, Einstein, so why would they need to forge a vaccination card?

The alternative would have been to deny everybody a 7 day quarantine, since the UK doesn't have vaccine passports yet.

Let me guess, you're already in Thailand, and you're enjoying "not having any competition"? Thought so ????

12 minutes ago, nkg said:

Well, almost everybody above a certain age in the UK has actually been vaccinated, Einstein, so why would they need to forge a vaccination card?

The alternative would have been to deny everybody a 7 day quarantine, since the UK doesn't have vaccine passports yet.

Let me guess, you're already in Thailand, and you're enjoying "not having any competition"? Thought so ????

You need two injections to be fully vaccinated - and that's the rule to have the full two doses, not just one. So they give you a card after your first one, and then you wait 3 months for the second one.  

2 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

You need two injections to be fully vaccinated - and that's the rule to have the full two doses, not just one. So they give you a card after your first one, and then you wait 3 months for the second one.  

Right now, 26% of the UK are fully vaccinated, and it will be over 50% by July. The "proof of vaccinations for 7 day quarantine" is irrelevant now anyway. As I'm sure you know, quarantine is currently for a minimum of 14 days whether or not you've been vaccinated.

Maybe 100-200 brits benefitted from the 7 day quarantine. How many of them used forged vaccination cards? 1? 2? Or more likely, zero.

17 hours ago, starky said:

Mate is there some reason why 14 days in a hotel room is enough to stop you seeing all those things you love your wife children and pets?

Im  not being smart im curious as to if you have some medical condition that won't allow it? I've been in and out of Thailand twice done quarantine in 4 countries now and next time will be the 7th time in quarantine. I've done 12 weeks all up since last September. The only people that seem to complain about quarantine are the ones who haven't done it.

In fact Thailand was the country I most enjoyed quarantine they are by far the least strict in regards to options. Except for the strange getting out on the 16th day thing which was pretty average tbh lol. Also if ya got your ducks in a row the whole PCR, ASQ, COE procedure is very straight forward IMO I certainly didn't find it overly taxing.

I can understand for your average tourist but for someone who hasn't seen their family for 16 months you can't cop 14 days in a hotel room. That's unique.

Unless it's medical the only thing keeping you from your family is you. If you think ASQ is anything like jail I doubt you ever been in trouble.

I agree with you on the vaccine thing but I think at some stage Thailand will return to 7 days or less for the vaccinated. Im an Aussie I have to do 14 days every time I return home vaccinated or not so it's cost me 2 months overall to see my family thus far but as if I would let something like a 4 star hotel room hold me back.

No medical condition at all. It is simply a work thing. What's the point of 14 days in ASQ to spend 4 - 5 days outside then needing to go back. I simply can't be away from work for a month. Three weeks away is pushing it as it is.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, Twin Peaks said:

Can she come to the island or will Thais be blocked out?

No details yet, but for the sandbox model to work there would have to be some controls on inter-provincial travel.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:47 AM, nkg said:

Right now, 26% of the UK are fully vaccinated, and it will be over 50% by July. The "proof of vaccinations for 7 day quarantine" is irrelevant now anyway. As I'm sure you know, quarantine is currently for a minimum of 14 days whether or not you've been vaccinated.

Maybe 100-200 brits benefitted from the 7 day quarantine. How many of them used forged vaccination cards? 1? 2? Or more likely, zero.

Go to facebook, you have visitors from India, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh doing 7 day quarantine programmes last month (before they stopped it). I'd a hazard a guess a few may have forged it, especially when the evidence required was so light. 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:47 AM, nkg said:

J&J now approved in many countries and rolling out now. It’s single dose. Approved US and EU … The long wait between jabs one and two leaves you in limbo .Especially in the UK with a 12 week waiting period  between them. US and EU is 4weeks … In all honesty I think I would refuse the Chinese Vaccine . Unsafe and just over 50% efficient .