Thailand reports new daily record of 34 coronavirus deaths, 1983 COVID-19 cases

webfact

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another one! These are just the ones that we know about because of their high profile status. The prison system must be rife with the virus. No mention by officials on this, similar to when we were no longer given an official reports after the migrants were locked in the factories and left to develop herd immunity in samut sakhon

Prioritization I suppose. There are not enough resources to test all who need testing and the ones in jail are already contained. They can move and treat the ones who need treatment but to be honest, there's no real benefit for society in moving asymptomatic cases to field hospitals and having to guard them there.

Harsh reality?

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes thats a possibility in the UK.

Here the fatality rate is rising fast and for that to happen it can only be one of two things.

1. Either this UK strain is more deadly but there is no evidence published to back that option or.

2. Positive cases are being under counted and so we are seeing higher mortality.

I can't think of other possibilities? Unless treatment here of the severely sick is not as it should be?

If the infection fatality rate is not increasing, then the increased number of fatalities is due to more cases. 

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes thats a possibility in the UK.

Here the fatality rate is rising fast and for that to happen it can only be one of two things.

1. Either this UK strain is more deadly but there is no evidence published to back that option or.

2. Positive cases are being under counted and so we are seeing higher mortality.

I can't think of other possibilities? Unless treatment here of the severely sick is not as it should be?

Deaths lag cases by at least 2 weeks. That's why they are still increasing. No doubt there is some under reporting - mainly people getting sick and staying home (then infecting their family). Eventually they get worse then end up at the hospital, then test positive. I don't think we can say that is causing the current trends in numbers. I think we will know more in 3-4 weeks. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000790

Some 500,000 doses of Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine will be delivered to Thailand soon, the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok said on Wednesday.

These vaccines were donated by the Chinese government.

The embassy also encouraged Thais to overcome the Covid-19 crisis as soon as possible.

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Which means either that this strain is more lethal, or the Healthcare system is doing a worse job. 

Did you read my prior post?

Your repeating exactly what it contained!

Aside from you missing my second option, the case count is under reported.

Below again for you:

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you read my prior post?

Your repeating exactly what it contained!

Aside from you missing my second option, the case count is under reported.

Below again for you:

An increased infection fatality rate is evidence that this strain is more lethal. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

An increased infection rate is evidence that this strain is more lethal. 

Nonsense, you just admitted in your prior post it could be due to care of the patient, in addition there are no countries in the world that have had this strain and reported a higher case fatality.

Unless you know which one then you are speculating.

I am clearly giving 3 options as I do not have the facts and neither do you.

However you seem very sure of yourself. I can only assume you're trolling

Edited by Bkk Brian

Read more:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27400/inoculation-only-solution-now-public-health-expert-says/

Inoculation only solution now, public health expert says

Thailand is seeing sustained infection rates and an increasing death toll as it struggles to contained the third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic. A public health expert says that mass inoculation is now the country’s “only solution” going forward.

Over 56,000 people have been infected since the third wave began on April 1. It has been the deadliest period of the pandemic so far with over 300 deaths and counting.

The government, according to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), is considering further lockdown measures to help stem the tide of the disease.

• Like 1

Just now, zhounan said:

These numbers seem intentionally limited.

Doesn't matter. It's the positivity rate that matters, and that is not changing. Positivity rate does not change when the sample size changes, assuming everything else is equal. 

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nonsense, you just admitted in your prior post it could be due to care of the patient, in addition there are no countries in the world that have had this strain and reported a higher case fatality.

Unless you know which one then you are speculating.

I am clearly giving 3 options as I do not have the facts and neither do you.

However you seem very sure of yourself. I can only assume you're trolling

I stated that increased fatalities in hospitals could be caused by worse Healthcare in the hospitals, but that is unlikely. 

If hospitals are swamped, ventilators are no longer available, all ICU Beds are filled, then more people will die in hospitals, but we are not yet at that point. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

I stated that increased fatalities in hospitals could be caused by worse Healthcare in the hospitals, but that is unlikely. 

If hospitals are swamped, ventilators are no longer available, all ICU Beds are filled, then more people will die in hospitals, but we are not yet at that point. 

Like I said, speculate all you want, I prefer the facts and data on case fatalities before making wild assumptions.

The mortality among severe cases now ranges from 20-25% and as many as 100 more severe cases are expected to die if the current situation persists, as medical personnel and health officials become overstretched in treating the very sick, said the three doctors. Each medical college has adopted a rotation system, under which doctors take turns to care for the severe cases, they said.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/medical-experts-call-for-increased-active-screening-in-bangkoks-slums/

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000793

Nearly 2 million people across Thailand have signed up for a Covid-19 vaccine, the Mohpromt (Doctors Ready) Facebook page announced on Wednesday.

Of the 1,924,538 people who have registered for their jab, 560,931 are Bangkokians.

The page added that 16 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine are being prepared for the priority group, comprising 11.7 million elderly people and 4.3 million people with chronic diseases.

Read more:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vaccine-hesitancy-bites-in-thailand-but-one-province-has-the-antidote/

‘Vaccine hesitancy’ bites in Thailand – but one province has the antidote

At a time when Thailand is struggling to convince its citizens to sign up for free COVID-19 vaccination, Lampang has recorded remarkable success, getting all eligible residents to register for jabs.

A total of 223,796 residents of the northern province have already booked COVID-19 shots, filling the slots reserved for at-risk people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No hint of any potential local vaccination production problems here...

PM declares vaccination national agenda as he urges all Thais to be vaccinated

Prime Minster Prayut Chan-o-cha, today (Tuesday) declared COVID-19 vaccination program Thailand’s national agenda as he urged Thai people to get vaccinated as many as possible, pointing out that vaccines are the key element which will usher Thailand through the crisis.

In his Facebook post..., the prime minister reaffirmed his confidence that Thailand would receive up to 100 million doses of vaccines this year, so that 50 million Thais would be inoculated within this year to develop herd immunity to fight against the virus. He also aimed to procure an addition of 50 million doses from different sources, making the total 150 million.

According to the prime minister, Thailand would be the production hub of the British-made AstraZeneca vaccine in Asean with Siam Bioscience, the only Thai firm authorized to produce AstraZeneca vaccine under technological transfer agreement, adding that the pharmaceutical company would deliver a minimum of 61 million doses of vaccine for the Thai people which will provide Thailand with long-term vaccine security.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-declares-vaccination-national-agenda-as-he-urges-all-thais-to-be-vaccinated/

Places that don't have a pandemic situation are reluctant to use the AZ vaccine, as a drop of bad and exaggerated publicity seems to do more than a gallon of good news.  So, I think it's going to be a slow roll out with low uptake, and as soon as the blood cots become evident, even if they are small in number, that'll really slow the process. It's a hard sell even in places like Australia.  And the Sinovac vaccine does not seem to impress the WHO.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The possibilities of the vaccinated people still being infected but not severely could be a reason.  We never seem to hear the stories of vaccinated people being infected however.  My view on that is they do not want people to abstain form getting vaccinated even though the chance of being infected is there.  Yesterdays Post of the Infectious disease doctor who had been vaccinated is surely making the rounds.

I know of 4 vaccinated people being infected. 3 have recovered after suffering mild symptoms. The fourth was placed on a ventilator last night.

I wonder if there are any statistics here showing how many vaccinated people are affected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

My assumption is that is the vaccine at work. People may catch the virus, but if vaccinated they don’t get hospitalized and/or die.

They can certainly still get infected and ne hospitalised here. See my previous post.

1 minute ago, petedk said:

I know of 4 vaccinated people being infected. 3 have recovered after suffering mild symptoms. The fourth was placed on a ventilator last night.

I wonder if there are any statistics here showing how many vaccinated people are affected.

The AZ, Pfizer, and Moderna vaccines are all extremely effective and are backed by hard real world data in the UK, and Israel particularly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, petedk said:

That is a question I also posed.  Wonder when a study of such will be made public, possibly still being peer reviewed and verified before publication.  An issue that can be posed would also be those infected after vaccination and which vaccine was given.  Of course there are so many variables that can affect this as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The AZ, Pfizer, and Moderna vaccines are all extremely effective and are backed by hard real world data in the UK, and Israel particularly.

The Sinovac vaccine is also extremely effective against hospitalization and death. 

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The Sinovac vaccine is also extremely effective against hospitalization and death. 

Is that from the initial studies or ongoing and current published studies.  I would very much like to see current trends and data point regarding the vaccines and how they are working out for folks months after the vaccination.  A true current study must be getting done by someone, one would hope.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

For a "rough" comparison on case fatality, the UK is now reporting zero deaths despite having a higher daily positive case count than Thailand

Are you suggesting the UK is lying?

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is that from the initial studies or ongoing and current published studies.  I would very much like to see current trends and data point regarding the vaccines and how they are working out for folks months after the vaccination.  A true current study must be getting done by someone, one would hope.

There have been several studies. One was just released today from Indonesia. Brazil and Chile have also done studies. There is an ongoing study right now in the Brazilian city of Serrana located in a region where the virus is raging. Over 98 percent of adults were innoculated with Coronavac. So far the results are outstanding.

A Small Brazilian Town Is Beating Covid-19 Through a Unique Experiment

This town of 45,000 people in southeastern Brazil has been at the center of a unique experiment for the past three months: vaccinate nearly every adult against Covid-19 and see what happens.

In recent weeks, after most of the adults here got their second dose, Covid-19 cases and deaths plunged and life has started to return to normal as the pandemic continues to rage across Brazil...

All of Serrana’s adults were offered CoronaVac between February and April as part of the experiment, known as Project S.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brazilian-towns-mass-vaccination-creates-oasis-of-well-being-11620392401

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1