Koh Phangan: Locals scurry to investigate/ensure strict measures after celeb "Ploy" tests positive

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Local officials in Koh Phangan in the south of Thailand were busy ensuring that Covid-19 protocols were being followed to the letter. 

This came after a well know Thai soap star "Ploy Chermarn" - also known as Laila Boonyasak or Chermarn Boonyasak - tested positive for Covid-19.

Ploy had made a visit to the island then found out she had the virus when tested in Bangkok.

Naew Na reported that all visitors from deep red zones are supposed to quarantine on the island for 14 days or for the duration of their stay.

There were press reports that Ploy had left her hotel. 

District chief Phoonsak Sophonpathumrat and health officials were checking that screening was taking place at the port and that masks were being worn, social distancing was taking place and parties and gatherings with alcohol were not happening. 

The media noted that visitors must have their Thai ID or passport and must be faithful about their timeline on pain of going to prison or paying heavy fines. 

There have been 600 tests for Covid without a single case on the island, well known in pre-pandemic days for its full moon parties.  

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-12

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na reported that all visitors from deep red zones are supposed to quarantine on the island for 14 days or for the duration of their stay.

There were press reports that Ploy had left her hotel.

Ooop's favourable terms for the celeb then... 

It is my belief that the first Covid case was from a visitor to Koh Tao who was found to be positive and was transferred to the government hospital on Koh Phangan . I am not convinced from the statement that the island has not had one Covid case from what I have heard even from my Thai neighbours is that the hospital has been busy with Covid patients .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In the complaint, he claims that the actress arrived on the island on April 26th and spent almost two weeks there, during which she dined at several restaurants and went sight-seeing, without wearing a face mask. She also did not isolate herself, as required for all arrivals from Bangkok, which is still a high-risk zone.

And nothing will happen no doubt as she's a celeb.

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Rich and famous... Throw her in jail.. she should be an example for her fans and other people.. What she does give a wrong vision of the danger of contamination. There are other people who went to jail for less

I'm not sure you can be jailed for not wearing a mask or dining in restaurants, only fined. Excellent idea though.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:57 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not sure you can be jailed for not wearing a mask or dining in restaurants, only fined. Excellent idea though

They definitely will jail a farang or Myanmar for breaking the Covid rules, ie not doing the 14 day quarantine. 
the police threatened me and my Burmese staff with jail if we weren’t home by the 10pm curfew. We were walking out just after closing at 9:50pm and the police were walking down the road doing their check.