Huge electricity bills in April? PEA explain why you're at fault not them!

webfact

the fridge being full causing more power used is not correct. A fridge is more efficient when full. Items inside get cold and hold their cold when the door is opened. Air spaces inside do not hold over cold. Its lost the minute the fridge is opened. I have 5 x 6L water bottles in the bottom of my freezer to take up space and also to provide holdover if there are power shortages.  A lot of people would be cooking on gas at home so no effect on electricity. Many Thais eat out by habit so I do not see a huge change there. Aircon and other extra power used at home is possible. Hours spent at home more than normal may have a effect. It would be interesting to see by what percentage / usage it went up. When I lost income I cut back on power usage and stopped using aircon, turned lights off, did not have computers and other items running on standby. If I cooked something in the electric oven I added more dishes to make better use of the power. My bill went from 1800-2100 down to 900-800B per month. 

Edited by lizardofoz

41 minutes ago, paahlman said:

This is true.. As much as possible within reasons is the way to go.. Obsiously he hasnt heard that conventional wisdom I guess..  ????

He should be working with Anutin!

• Haha 1

They had also been giving discounts on the last few months bills.  My bill this month no longer had the discount.  So just that would could cause your bill to go up about 10% if usage is the same.

I always thought that a full fridge consumed less electricity also.  Turns out I (and most of the above posters) were wrong.  It appears that there is a sweet spot of 2/3 to 3/4 full.  Freezers on the other hand do best when packed.

https://www.carbontrack.com.au/blog/reduce-fridge-running-cost/

https://www.dtappliance.com/blog/does-a-refrigerator-work-better-full-or-empty/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Of course.  We all knew it!!!
It's The Public's Fault!!!  (Always is).

TAT says they are sending in a plane full of rich Indians to balance out the bills .. Once the expected 72 million tourists coming from the island of Corsica arrive then everything will return to normal .. Sounds like the panic is over

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Is that like gouging?

No, it is an added incentive to conserve power. 

1.1.2 Consume over 150 kWh. per Month

Service Charge...  38.22

First 150 kWh. ( 0 – 150 th) 3.2484

Next 250 kWh. ( 151 st – 400 th) 4.2218

Over 400 kWh. ( 401 st and over) 4.4217

Gouging is more like the UK where at peak times the electricity costs more.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

OK PEA. its my fault that you cannot keep a constant supply and keep switching grids giving a 2 second power out . that that has destroyed 2 TVs and one computer . will you reimbursed me please  

5 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

OK PEA. its my fault that you cannot keep a constant supply and keep switching grids giving a 2 second power out . that that has destroyed 2 TVs and one computer . will you reimbursed me please  

Liability and responsibility here in Thailand.... hopeful.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

He's right about keep opening and closing  the door... makes you fat too. And in the short term loading up your fridge will use a lot of power as it cools all the stuff down. Longer term, full is more efficient. 

Karl Pilkington says fridges shouldn't have lights in so fat people can't see the food, makes sense

Our overall consumption is roughly mirroring the same period last year.

Nothing new here and the same whinges every year, it's getting hot people, so your cooling kit will be working harder = more consumption = bigger bills.

Rocket science it is not, and they want to send a probe to the moon ... (which is rocket science).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Try 26C for half an hour with the fan circulating the air after you turn off the air conditioner, now if you don't have good insulation and sisolation, then your electricity bill is going to be high, because all your fan is going to be doing is circulating the hot air in the room when it heats up not long after you have switched off the air conditioner, and you will be turning your air conditioner back on again.

Nah, he means Set the aircon at 26C High  And put the Fan on as well then it Will feel Cooler and use less Power then when the aircon is set at 22C and no Fan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

I thought the "conventional wisdom"  was to keep the fridge stuffed with as much as possible as it reduces the amount of new air having to be cooled each time the door is opened...obviously  it does take energy to cool the food down  but once cooled it will also act as a reverse heat sink keeping the inside cool.

555 since when farang wisdoms, conventional or not, have become applicable in Thailand?? 

Laws of physics are either unknown or not applicable here, seemingly not only in context of traffic, but now also in context of fridges... 

Edited by mran66

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I asked my girlfriend to fan me but she refuses to do it. I guessed I watched too many old movies.

You have been watching too many "It a'int half hot mum" episodes.

5 hours ago, johng said:

I thought the "conventional wisdom"  was to keep the fridge stuffed with as much as possible as it reduces the amount of new air having to be cooled each time the door is opened...obviously  it does take energy to cool the food down  but once cooled it will also act as a reverse heat sink keeping the inside cool.

SO...THAT'S your excuse to the misses why you stocked it full op with beers .....????????

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Hardly gonna say that they are overcharging, now are they? 

Why would he? My bill in for April was 2333.97 baht, in April 2016 it was 2003.34 baht.

I have 3 fridge freezers now, I only had one then.

Last year, April and May bills were held at the same as February.

The compulsion to moan has mutated, more infectious than covid.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paulbuick1 said:

Empty freezer is an energy waster

If your extra freezer sits empty most of the winter, it’s using more energy than it does during the summer when it’s full of ice cream.

A full freezer uses less energy than an empty one because the already-frozen food in it keeps the unit’s temperature low.

A tip: Pack your empty or half-full freezer with water-filled plastic milk cartons or two-liter bottles. This will keep your freezer running efficiently.

The water-filled containers—filled to four inches from the top—will ease the strain on the freezer’s motor and keep food cold longer during a power outage. And you can drink the water in an emergency.

Why not just unplug it in the winter if you're not using it?

Saves even more electricity?

21 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Nah, he means Set the aircon at 26C High  And put the Fan on as well then it Will feel Cooler and use less Power then when the aircon is set at 22C and no Fan.

So what about in my case where I don't turn on the AC and only use the fan?

5 hours ago, johng said:

you are correct ... also in the freezer put bottled water ..after it freezes you have cold cold water to take along and it fills up the empty space in fridge  ... peace out and stay cool

5 hours ago, johng said:

You are correct!!