Huge electricity bills in April? PEA explain why you're at fault not them!

webfact

Simple addition of a check meter or a power/cent-a-meter in your house (or simply get off your ass and read the meter) and a couple of quick calculations should keep you informed of your usage.

The argument that "there must be something wrong with the meters" or " they're ripping us off" is almost as old as electricity supply itself.

What a bunch of whining moaning old cronies.

• Like 2

I dimly recall getting a 5 Baht monthly electricity bill back about 43 years ago.  I used a light bulb or two and had a cassette player.  Much of the time, the voltage was not enough to light a fluorescent bulb if you turned it on after dark. 220 Volts was more like 150. Had to have a multi-tap step-up transformer. About every 20 minutes in the evening, you had to turn it down a notch when the over voltage alarm would buzz. Charming. 

9 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I dimly recall getting a 5 Baht monthly electricity bill back about 43 years ago.  I used a light bulb or two and had a cassette player.  Much of the time, the voltage was not enough to light a fluorescent bulb if you turned it on after dark. 220 Volts was more like 150. Had to have a multi-tap step-up transformer. About every 20 minutes in the evening, you had to turn it down a notch when the over voltage alarm would buzz. Charming. 

'Dimly recall?' ????

11 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

For that type of consumer I think it became free some years ago. There are different tariffs for those with a below 5 amp meter

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

For that type of consumer I think it became free some years ago. There are different tariffs for those with a below 5 amp meter

I'm in the USA now.  I have 300 Amp service (320 Amp meter) and a gas line for heat.  Gotta love kilowatts.  My garage alone has a 100 Amp panel for welders and boy tools. 

Over here, the antique 5 Amp meters are incorporated into table lamps just because they are cool. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

This is Thailand, Colin. Nothing is as it seems. A reverse logic. One of the mysteries of the orient. Well, in Thailand anyway. Open mouth. Shove foot in it!.????

As usual the core of the thread, electricity bills, gets hijacked by the negative nellies.

Bottom line is, bills were as the norm but nobody is forcing you to understand that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

March 387 units = 113 baht 

April 617 units = 2617 baht 

I obviously received the govt discount in March, but i can’t see anywhere on my bill that displays the unit charge, or shows a government discount. 

The unit charge is the top figure on the bill divided by number of units. Your total unit charge for April was 4.26 which is about normal. Base is around 4.14 which is then adjusted and taxed.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As usual the core of the thread, electricity bills, gets hijacked by the negative nellies.

Bottom line is, bills were as the norm but nobody is forcing you to understand that.

'Bills are the norm.' But so is the misinformation to which I was referring. Understand?

29 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

'Bills are the norm.' But so is the misinformation to which I was referring. Understand?

Yes, I fully understand that ignoring the main point is the norm.

Why acknowledge the fact of the matter when you can make a huge issue out of any ancillary comment.

If things are so bad, wouldn't it be better to close the door on the way out.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Can you actually turn the A/C on WITHOUT the fan? I think not.

One can turn the AC Fan on Low And use a Standup Fan  to circulate the air in the room and keep the AC on a High Temp setting .

It will save you a Few $ 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The doctor at a Pattaya hospital said it was an STD!  He showed me photos he got from the internet!

I must admit that I have heard comments from a so called doctor in a clinic here that widened my eyes as I though 'what!'

On 5/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, nchuckle said:

"fridges were packed with food making them need more electricity to keep it all cool. "

In that statement alone it exposes the poor IQ of so many officials. The Thai Thick gene ???? 

Sorry, but for a change that statement is nothing but true:

16 hours ago, bluejets said:

Simple addition of a check meter or a power/cent-a-meter in your house (or simply get off your ass and read the meter) and a couple of quick calculations should keep you informed of your usage.

The argument that "there must be something wrong with the meters" or " they're ripping us off" is almost as old as electricity supply itself.

What a bunch of whining moaning old cronies.

Spot on.

I keep a record of the PEA bills going back some 8 years so I can clearly see the normal seasonal variance. I also, read the meter every 3/4 days so that I can easily spot any unusual power usage and use that to project my month end cost. It's really not difficult.............!!

My bills tend to range between 3.5k and 8k baht/month so well worth the minimal effort.

Currently I am down on my normal consumption as one of the bedroom AC's recently gave up the ghost and I haven't replaced it as yet. But regular checks mean I am well aware of what to expect come bill time. Never fails and the April bill was exactly in line with what I was expecting. All this talk about inflated bills in Pattaya (and probably elsewhere) to my mind is just that, talk!!

Edited by dabhand

On 5/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, johng said:

I thought the "conventional wisdom"  was to keep the fridge stuffed with as much as possible as it reduces the amount of new air having to be cooled each time the door is opened...obviously  it does take energy to cool the food down  but once cooled it will also act as a reverse heat sink keeping the inside cool.

Correct, in NZ the government pays a winter allowance to the pensioners and welfare beneficiaries. 

The prices don't go up. 

In Thailand summer causes higher use of power, so it is just greed to increase power prices in the summer, someone with leadership should be stepping in here not stepping on the people causing more expenses. 

What are you supposed to do, run one light bulb and sleep in one room with a fan, I know that's how hard it is for some to have power, all year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Correct, in NZ the government pays a winter allowance to the pensioners and welfare beneficiaries. 

The prices don't go up. 

In Thailand summer causes higher use of power, so it is just greed to increase power prices in the summer, someone with leadership should be stepping in here not stepping on the people causing more expenses. 

What are you supposed to do, run one light bulb and sleep in one room with a fan, I know that's how hard it is for some to have power, all year. 

To my knowledge the price per unit of power does not increase seasonally in Thailand. 

The price of power per unit is ‘banded’ i.e. use more and the price per unit is slightly higher in ‘greater use brackets’.

The government actually did step in for much of last year electricity bills were significantly lower than they usually are. 

4 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

so it is just greed to increase power prices in the summer,

That is not what has happened here though.... 

Unit prices are based on consumption level, and there is talk of a previous Covid discount being discontinued. 

So no 'greed' involved and you are deriding them without foundation. 

For those who are antagonized by this, consider a solar panel system to cover most of your consumption.... when it is at its hottest, the sun is usually out.