Pattaya A Dead or Dying City?

Pilotman

The sad part are that this scenes of desertion and emptiness should have been brought about from the onset of the virus running amok without a care in the world to stop it and all the while allowing Songran festivities to go on as normal with millions would be Covid carriers are let to roam the whole of the country unimpeded and unchecked... and this IS the price Thailand is paying now...

1 minute ago, at15 said:

over 2000 km in the past month

On Thai roads.....how do you cope!

I used to do around 40,000 miles a years, but that was on sedate, UK motorways........4,000 miles a year in Thailand would be more than enough for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

On Thai roads.....how do you cope!

I used to do around 40,000 miles a years, but that was on sedate, UK motorways........4,000 miles a year in Thailand would be more than enough for me.

Yes, i know what you mean its rough. But its an old five speed honda i dont care about and so i can drive it hard and have fun. I do truly understand why thailand driving is some of the most dangerous in the world. Anyone out there please be very careful.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

It will likely bounce back somewhat. There's millions of men around the world who haven't had a <deleted> for over a year. Many will hurry back to Pattaya once they can.

It amazes me why they pay 50K for the flight, 20K or whatever for the hotel to get a cheap night out with a bar girl, and from what I have read recently - they are no cheaper than in other countries.

There are plenty of other places nearer home.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, petedk said:

It amazes me why they pay 50K for the flight, 20K or whatever for the hotel to get a cheap night out with a bar girl, and from what I have read recently - they are no cheaper than in other countries.

There are plenty of other places nearer home.

Not as beautiful tho, or haven.t you read that either!? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, I remember how after the tsunami wiped all the accommodation off Phi Phi they rebuilt the same <deleted> <deleted> as it was before, so I have no hope the council will take the opportunity to improve Pattaya. A golden opportunity

They might have the money but not the imagination or the skill to do it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

It was late morning and it looked like I remember UK towns to be on a Sunday in the 1970s, closed and shuttered, hardly any traffic to speak of and hardly any people walking about. I had read the reports of course,  but it still came as quite a shock to see first hand.

Just cos the girlie bars are closed doesn't mean Pattaya is a ghost town... Why don't you try taking a drive down Sukhumvit road in the morning between 7.30 and 13.00... still plenty of traffic and to me traffic means life... but maybe not in the red light district.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was being sarcastic with my comment that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

The 3 week lock down turned out to 12 months. We won't see normal for a long time I am afraid. There is more of the unexpected to come I believe.

im prepared for the next 2-3 years of on and off restrictions, mask requirements, restaurant and gym closures etc, its getting very bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, at15 said:

come on thai girls are very very low on the world beauty ranking

Beautiful when young, then look like fat sows when they had a few kids and get up their in age... somewhat like the latina mamas...

Funny I was just thinking about that this morning...

Pattaya was dying for years already before covid even started, so yeah, it will never return to be the same again. Just like most cities, we are fooled with large amounts of group tour Chinese. The real tourists are gone since the coup started while Vietnam is that busy, it looks like khao san in the old days. I used to travel there for business every quarter and can tell the differences.

Large amount of shop owners were losing or only open thanks to mass credit available in the first place, the problem once opening will be that there is actually nothing to come back for (i Mean they didn't even make drinks or girls cheaper during the short whiles we did open domestic, says it all).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. IMO the bar scene was dying before corona because the clever girls had gone on line. They have no reason to return to being bored in a bar pretending to like farangs.

Agreed pattaya is finished,but i would think  resurrected as something else.Life as it was pre 2019 is not coming back no matter how much you wish it.A precedent has been set for future viruses....masks,social distancing,vaccines and lockdowns.No matter how many vaccines you have there will always be another mutant,another strain."do not let a good opportunity go to waste"...so the saying goes and big pharma can see a lot of future money to be made.

2 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Beautiful when young, then look like fat sows when they had a few kids and get up their in age... somewhat like the latina mamas...

Funny I was just thinking about that this morning...

Yes, you climb into bed with a beauty, and wake up next to her mother when she has a dreaded birthday, or you sober up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Pattaya was dying for years already before covid even started, so yeah, it will never return to be the same again. Just like most cities, we are fooled with large amounts of group tour Chinese. The real tourists are gone since the coup started while Vietnam is that busy, it looks like khao san in the old days. I used to travel there for business every quarter and can tell the differences.

First trip was in 1993......place was hopping.........magical, for a single guy at least!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

First trip was in 1993......place was hopping.........magical, for a single guy at least!

First trip was 2013, place was also still hopping and as the good old stories, it changed quickly after that in 2014 ish coup. Happy I did get the chance to experience it in my 20s, I knew it wouldn't last forever (partly as the new generation doesn't seem to be into paying for girls).

Well there is still the ABC hotel in Angeles City left for us hehehe.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

No Pattaya is not dead yet but with some effort on the part of the government to keep the businesses shuttered, no seating at restaurants or alcohol if they allow them to open again, quarantining tourists who visit Thailand, and making the tourists go through as much effort as possible, they might soon be successful in killing it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J Town said:

Curious, whatever happened to that Indian Walking Street that was being built in the Avenue complex?

Covid happening might have something to do with change in plan. 

No tourist / travel stopped.  Just a wild guess.

9 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Not really... maybe 30 years ago... take a good look around nowadays...

I live here and while there certainly are more fat bints, there are still many easy on the eye. 

• Like 2