Thailand road carnage: Ducati split in two as young fitness trainer dies

webfact

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Another instance of the bike having more ability than the rider.

I had ridden motorcycles since I was 17 and thought I knew everything. 

When I was in my 40s, my home state promised a 50% cost reduction for mandated insurance if a rider had taken an approved motorcycle safety course: a full two day course by a certified instructor on a closed circuit, not a classroom course. 

I knew I'd be bored because I already knew everything but took the course anyway for the insurance savings.

I quickly learned I did not know how to properly brake, especially on a downhill or wet or twisty or all of the above  road.  I learned my situational awareness sucked. I learned my steering method was the opposite of what it should be.  I learned how to look into a corner and how to ride in a circle about 20% tighter than I ever had before.

It was a truly humbling experience but I was able to then ride for an additional 25 years without killing myself or anybody else and never laid a bike down again.*

* Except the time I was somewhat behind a pick-up truck carrying six 10 gallon cans of house paint with the tailgate down. He accelerated too hard just as he hit a bump. The cans of paint shot off the back and opened, making a huge puddle of housepaint.  I saw it too late.  It was as slippery as grease and down my beautiful, red Yamaha 750 Seca went, sliding through the paint with me sliding alongside.

My Seca and my riding suit were never again quite the same.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Excel said:

Why on earth Thai males are ever allowed to buy and/or ride a proper bike whilst they are under 40 I'll never know.   110 Honda waves should be the limit in my opinion

So right, males of other nationalities under 40, wherever they are, don't have fatal bike accidents, do they?

You do know that more Thais die riding 110s than do riding "proper bikes", yes?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So right, males of other nationalities under 40, wherever they are, don't have fatal bike accidents, do they?

Pure number game, more 110s on the road than higher powered machines. Matter of financials as well

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pure number game, more 110s on the road than higher powered machines.

Exactly!  More Thais die in accidents on smaller bikes than they do on bigger bikes. 

What was your point, just that if there were fewer small bikes on the roads there'd be fewer deaths on those bikes?   Of course, that would be the case but, so what?    There'd still be more deaths involving "110s" than bigger bikes!   

Statistically, because of the very small ratio of big bikes to small bikes here, even getting all the Thai big bike riders on to 110s would make no significant difference to death numbers, over all, as a result of bike accidents.

• Like 1