Prosecutor seeks hate crime charges, death penalty in Atlanta spa shootings

https://abcnews.go.com/US/prosecutor-seeks-hate-crime-charges-death-penalty-atlanta/story?id=77627001

A Georgia district attorney will seek the death penalty and hate crimes charges against Atlanta spa shootings suspect Robert Aaron Long.

Long is accused of killing eight people, including six Asian women, in a spree targeting three Atlanta-area spas on March 16.

Long was indicted Tuesday on murder and other charges stemming from the shootings.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis filed a notice regarding the hate crime charges and the death penalty on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm against the death penalty. Life in prison is worse.

I'm against the death penalty as well (but likely not for the same reason(s) you are) but the death penalty is much worse. 

Why do you think life in prison is worse than death? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm against the death penalty as well (but likely not for the same reason(s) you are) but the death penalty is much worse. 

Why do you think life in prison is worse than death? 

If you're young, and looking at life in prison with NO possibilityofparole, I'd rather be killed. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

If you're young, and looking at life in prison with NO possibilityofparole, I'd rather be killed. Just my opinion.

I have heard that quite often, yet the guys on death row typically do not share that opinion. 

Why is it everyone seems to fight so vigorously to get their death sentences commuted to life?

Why are there so few people doing life that commit suicide? 

Being in jail is really not that bad in the US, certainly better than death. Just my opinion, and one that is shared by virtually everyone doing life or on death row... 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I have heard that quite often, yet the guys on death row typically do not share that opinion. 

Why is it everyone seems to fight so vigorously to get their death sentences commuted to life?

Why are there so few people doing life that commit suicide? 

Being in jail is really not that bad in the US, certainly better than death. Just my opinion, and one that is shared by virtually everyone doing life or on death row... 

Another reason for life in prison is the costs.  The legal fees to execute someone are massive.  Cheaper to just leave them in jail.

You should see some of the reality shows of life in prison.  It's bad.  Really bad.

https://www.thebalance.com/comparing-the-costs-of-death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-4689874

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Another reason for life in prison is the costs.  The legal fees to execute someone are massive.  Cheaper to just leave them in jail.

You should see some of the reality shows of life in prison.  It's bad.  Really bad.

https://www.thebalance.com/comparing-the-costs-of-death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-4689874

Rather than answer the questions you change the subject.

Again, I am against the death penalty, but I don't think saving money is a good reason to not apply it. You could use the same argument to just make them promise to not do it again and let them go. Think of all the money we could save. 

Reality shows like what, "Orange is the New Black"?

You claimed (as many people do) that life in prison is worse than the death penalty, but your claim is not supported by the people on death row or the people doing life. Virtually none of the people doing life are trying to be put to death, while virtually everyone on death row is fighting  to get their sentences commuted to life. The reason putting people to death it costs so much is because it's fought so vigorously. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Rather than answer the questions you change the subject.

Again, I am against the death penalty, but I don't think saving money is a good reason to not apply it. You could use the same argument to just make them promise to not do it again and let them go. Think of all the money we could save. 

Reality shows like what, "Orange is the New Black"?

You claimed (as many people do) that life in prison is worse than the death penalty, but your claim is not supported by the people on death row or the people doing life. Virtually none of the people doing life are trying to be put to death, while virtually everyone on death row is fighting  to get their sentences commuted to life. The reason putting people to death it costs so much is because it's fought so vigorously.

As a tax payer, it's a great idea to me.  Never said anything about releasing them, but prisons are a huge business in the US.  Many run by private companies.

Please show me then someone who's on death row and thinks life is good.  This should be interesting.  And no, Orange is the new Black is not a reality TV show.  It's pure fiction.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

As a tax payer, it's a great idea to me.  Never said anything about releasing them, but prisons are a huge business in the US.  Many run by private companies.

Please show me then someone who's on death row and thinks life is good.  This should be interesting.  And no, Orange is the new Black is not a reality TV show.  It's pure fiction.

As a tax payer you think what is a great idea, prisons being privatized? While they do represent a huge cost savings, I do not think it s good idea. I believe something less than ten percent of the total number of people incarcerated are  in "private" prisons. 

Most of the immigrant detention population (~80%?) are in private prisons and they represent (I think) about a third of the total number of people held in "private" prisons. Sealing the boarder would save a lot of tax money.

You say "...show me then someone who's on death row and thinks life is good.". I'm not sure what you are asking. People on death row clearly think life is better than death, or they would not fight so hard to live. That said, I don't doubt they would rather be somewhere else. 

What are some of "...the reality shows of life in prison..." do you think I should see? 

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Honestly, I've been several times.  To say it's not bad is BS.  It's beyond horrible.

I guess that speaks a lot to you and what you're used to. 

What was so bad about it? 

You still have not provided the names of any of  "...the reality shows of life in prison..." you recommended I watch. I'm still guessing "Orange is the New Black" it what you base ally your claims on...

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I guess that speaks a lot to you and what you're used to. 

What was so bad about it? 

You still have not provided the names of any of  "...the reality shows of life in prison..." you recommended I watch. I'm still guessing "Orange is the New Black" it what you base ally your claims on...

Smoking a joint at a Santana concert.  4 days in jail.  Fell asleep outside my girl friends house with a joint visible in the ash tray.  Another 4 days in jail.  It was beyond horrible.  If you've never been, you have NO idea.

You keep talking about fictional TV shows.  Look at the documentary shows that are about real life in jail, not the fantasy portrayed by "orange is the new black". LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Smoking a joint at a Santana concert.  4 days in jail.  Fell asleep outside my girl friends house with a joint visible in the ash tray.  Another 4 days in jail.  It was beyond horrible.  If you've never been, you have NO idea.

You keep talking about fictional TV shows.  Look at the documentary shows that are about real life in jail, not the fantasy portrayed by "orange is the new black". LOL

Again, what was so bad about it? Doesn't seem all that bad to me. 

On 5/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, Jeffr2 said:

I'm against the death penalty. Life in prison is worse.

Worse than killing 8 people? He will be looked after, fed and sheltered at the US taxpayer expense for how many years/decades, yet the families of his victims will have to face the fact that he is still alive, while their relations are dead.

Execute him if he is found guilty straight after the trial. No appeals allowed. Never mind what the woke generations might say.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest objection is the narrative that this was somehow an Asian hate crime.  The guy didn't single out Asians.  That's just the way it worked out when he went looking for sex workers to murder and the Asian "massage parlor" was the obvious choice. 

But the MSM has to hoist it up as an Asian Hate Crime.  He didn't hate Asians.  He hated sex workers.

Fry the guy, for sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Worse than killing 8 people? He will be looked after, fed and sheltered at the US taxpayer expense for how many years/decades, yet the families of his victims will have to face the fact that he is still alive, while their relations are dead.

Execute him if he is found guilty straight after the trial. No appeals allowed. Never mind what the woke generations might say.

I'm against the death penalty for 2 reasons.  One, several executed criminals have recently been found to be innocent.  Mistakes do happen, and with the death penalty, there's no going back.

Two, it costs a LOT more financially to go after the death penalty.  IMHO, put them to work.  Make them pay for their incarceration.  I shouldn't have to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm against the death penalty for 2 reasons.  One, several executed criminals have recently been found to be innocent.  Mistakes do happen, and with the death penalty, there's no going back.

Two, it costs a LOT more financially to go after the death penalty.  IMHO, put them to work.  Make them pay for their incarceration.  I shouldn't have to.

Several out of how many?

How many people have died from covid vaccinations? 

Either option sound pretty bad to me.  Guess I'll not take someone else's life and deny that person any further options.  Strange worldwide response to murder. Anders Brievik slaughters 77 people for his political beliefs and gets 21 years, meanwhile Leslie Van Houten now in gaol for 51 years for 1 murder and despite 4 recommendations for parole the decision is reversed ...for political reasons.

2 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Either option sound pretty bad to me.  Guess I'll not take someone else's life and deny that person any further options.  Strange worldwide response to murder. Anders Brievik slaughters 77 people for his political beliefs and gets 21 years, meanwhile Leslie Van Houten now in gaol for 51 years for 1 murder and despite 4 recommendations for parole the decision is reversed ...for political reasons.

The one person Van Houten murdered isn't getting out either.

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

How about you do a Google search, and find how many people have been on deathrow, but were later found innocent?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1