Thailand, 47% of hotels expected to close in the next three months

webfact

thailand-travel.jpg

By Joe Cusmano 

Guest Writer

The surge of the pandemic in Thailand is beginning to start lining up some bigger casualties. Thailand was preparing to start opening up to international tourism and the new surge of Covid-19 could potentially set the plans back.

According to a recent survey of Thailand’s hotel industry, nearly half of all hotels could close in under three months. According to a study published by The Nation Thailand, 47% of hotels have enough cash to last no longer than three months.

The survey is focused on the Bank of Thailand’s April 2021 trust index of hotel business operators, which surveyed 188 hotels nationwide from April 12-26. Thirty of the hotels are alternative state quarantine (ASQ) facilities, according to the survey.

Full story: https://www.traveldailymedia.com/thailand-47-of-hotels-expected-to-close-in-the-next-three-months/

TD.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Due to the new Covid-19 surge, 56 establishments recorded a 20% drop in liquidity compared to the previous month, while 47% said their liquidity situation could keep their hotels open for less than three months.

In addition, 46% of hotels were open as normal, while 13% had temporarily closed their doors, according to the survey. The majority of the hotels that have closed are in the southern area and catered to international visitors.

I guess there is a difference between closed and out of business.

Seems to me about over 50% closed now.

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

And the other half will be filled with Chinese group tours.

I'm taking my tent the next time I go on holiday.

And how many will be bought up by Chinese gangs?

I know they go for the property market here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

And the other half will be filled with Chinese group tours.

I'm taking my tent the next time I go on holiday.

Why not...they've got a strong currency and a burgeoning middle-class; things that are declining in most of the West.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

I think that the the government is backstopping a lot of the big money and I believe that for certain individuals in crony capitalism that loans have been frozen.

You talking about the Bank of Thailand or the US Federal Reserve?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

The Baht will get stronger, they do not print money like the FED or ECB here aka massive increase of money supply = inflation. Good thing.

Yep...makes all my baht based assets more valuable and makes travel cheaper when I visit benighted Europe or the US.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Why not...they've got a strong currency and a burgeoning middle-class; things that are declining in most of the West.

Some countries with more sense of protecting their own have stopped the Chinese buying property eg New Zealand. Unfortunately they stopped all foreigners doing it. When I sold my house in Hamilton I was not able to buy another due to the ban brought about by the Chinese trying to buy everything up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

About 6-8 months ago, stats said around 80% of budget places have closed down, I am guessing new 40% would be from the rest standing . Leaving only international chains standing .

so question is, once thailand opens where would tourists stay and at what price 

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

About 6-8 months ago, stats said around 80% of budget places have closed down, I am guessing new 40% would be from the rest standing . Leaving only international chains standing .

so question is, once thailand opens where would tourists stay and at what price 

Dont forget the staff thats needed who wont have been vaccinated 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Dont forget the staff thats needed who wont have been vaccinated 

They're doing a pretty good job of jabbing staff in Phuket and Samui.  Many.  And have started in Pattaya also.  Front line workers and those in the hospitality biz are first up.  Along with the elderly....

18 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a recent survey of Thailand’s hotel industry, nearly half of all hotels could close in under three months. According to a study published by The Nation Thailand, 47% of hotels have enough cash to last no longer than three months

Shame Thailand doesn't have a vaccine programme... it could have been reopening by now... 

But hey, Prayut has an in-house plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1