Thailand, 47% of hotels expected to close in the next three months

webfact

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good post.

The Sinovac 50% efficacy figure is misleading a lot of people. 

Sinovac has 50.4 % efficacy against Covid-19 (i.e. 50% of people do not contract Covid-19 at all)

Sinovac has 78 % efficacy against mild Covid-19 cases

Sinovac has 100 % efficacy against moderate to serious Covid-19 cases

your statement that 50% of people do not contract Covid-19 at all is completely inaccurate.  You are mixing efficacy up with effectiveness.  They are not the same thing.

During testing assuming half the test subjects get the vaccine and the other half don't, the efficacy calculation is (1 - (# who were vaccinated who got COVID/# who weren't vaccinated who got COVID)).

In the Pfizer trials, there were 43,660 test subject, half of which got the COVID shot. Out of those who got the shot, 8 got COVID. Out of those who didn't get the shot, 162 got COVID.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, placeholder said:

Do you actually believe that tourists are going to want to come to a place that is experiencing covid running rampant? 

It's beyond belief to think that anyone would want to come to Thailand when COVID is everywhere and hardly anybody is vaccinated.  

I am sorry, it is simply not going to happen.  Thailand right now is not a safe place.  It's health care system is under strain and the chances of it collapsing if numbers keep around the 4-5000 mark is very high.  

Thailand needs vaccines, pure and simple.  

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

To our Mainland Chinese friends:

Quickly now! Stampede to the all-you-can-shovel-onto-your-plate-and-subsequently-leave-behind-uneaten shrimp buffets while you still can! Time's running out!

Unfortunately for Thais they have seen the last of the Chinese for a long time.

They are perfectly happy in China (where by the way they aren't renewing passports) under restrictions.  They won't be here for many many many years.  And I'm sure China likes it that way.  

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Went to a wedding reception there.

Guests had to change rooms due to roof leaks allowing water to pour into villas.

So it had been going downhill for a good while

Photos of the place looked great though!

On 5/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

"No one will come" as Thailand posted record tourist numbers year after year pre-covid, regardless of the value of the baht. It seems like most members just post the first thing that comes into their mind.

Indeed bruv ????. Those figures were massaged (they're good at that), counting border-bouncers, in-transit traffic etc. In reality tourism has been in decline for a number of years. Loads of Chinese, for sure, while large amounts of local travellers can make places look busier.

Notwithstanding, very sad to see all this. Sorta with Richard on just opening the place up... the generals have seriously missed a trick by not vaccinating all early.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

the generals have seriously missed a trick by not vaccinating all early.

How exactly were they to do this? The West has hoarded most of the available vaccine supply to date? Is there another middle income country with Thailand's population that has vaccinated their population already...I can't think of any.

41 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

How exactly were they to do this? The West has hoarded most of the available vaccine supply to date? Is there another middle income country with Thailand's population that has vaccinated their population already...I can't think of any.

Here is the link to prove the point.  It is shameful that those that could afford the vaccine horded it while still not utilizing it all.

https://www.aninews.in/news/world/europe/high-upper-middle-countries-with-53-pc-population-received-83-pc-worlds-vaccine-who-chief20210511105811/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:
3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

the generals have seriously missed a trick by not vaccinating all early.

How exactly were they to do this?

Very simple, I'll tell you again........they should have accepted India's offer of AZ last December.

If they had done that instead of waiting for the company that's owned by 'you know who & Co', to produce the vaccine, we would all be in a good situation right now.

But no, due to their brain dead, idiotic decision , we are now in a world of s@#t.

Criminal decision that's going to cost many people their lives.

I hope 100% of the Thai public are made aware of this.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is the link to prove the point.  It is shameful that those that could afford the vaccine horded it while still not utilizing it all.

https://www.aninews.in/news/world/europe/high-upper-middle-countries-with-53-pc-population-received-83-pc-worlds-vaccine-who-chief20210511105811/

And yet they all like patting themselves on the back for being so "woke."

32 minutes ago, Suua said:

Very simple, I'll tell you again........they should have accepted India's offer of AZ last December.

If they had done that instead of waiting for the company that's owned by 'you know who & Co', to produce the vaccine, we would all be in a good situation right now.

But no, due to their brain dead, idiotic decision , we are now in a world of s@#t.

Criminal decision that's going to cost many people their lives.

I hope 100% of the Thai public are made aware of this.

You mean like India is in a great position now...Thailand wouldn't be getting any vaccines from them now under any conditions. And there's a lot to be said for vaccine self-sufficiency and Thailand is fortunate to have companies that are able to license and manufacture its own supplies.

14 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You mean like India is in a great position now...Thailand wouldn't be getting any vaccines from them now under any conditions. And there's a lot to be said for vaccine self-sufficiency and Thailand is fortunate to have companies that are able to license and manufacture its own supplies.

I'm guessing you didn't do so well in school......never mind.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Suua said:

I'm guessing you didn't do so well in school......never mind.

Maybe grab a flight to India for your vaccine. Do you think any contracts for vaccines with India would be honored right now...and then where would Thailand be...no vaccines and starting from square one to produce their own now.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Photos of the place looked great though!

The place is/was very beautiful. Peeked into the Royal suite - Nice !

but routine maintenance seems to have fallen by the wayside before we arrived.

dd.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The place is/was very beautiful. Peeked into the Royal suite - Nice !

but routine maintenance seems to have fallen by the wayside before we arrived.

dd.jpg

Wonder what the daily upkeep cost would be for such a place.  Wasn't there an article awhile back saying they wanted to sell it for 100 Million Thb.