Well pump and water storage tank plumbing schematic (low mains water pressure)

RetroGTAndrew

Can anyone provide or point me to a schematic illustration of how a domestic mains water well pump and water storage tank should be plumbed please?

We have a previously installed water storage tank and well pump at our place in SamutPrakan, and the exterior plumbing is somewhat of a jumble with pipes and taps going here there and everywhere!

The pump has died, probably just old age and the diaphragm in the tank gone or there's a leak somewhere (last time we were there we were having to turn the pump on as required as otherwise it would run too long).

So when we get back there we're going to need to get a new well pump and I'd like to rip out all the crappy plumbing and re-do it in a more logical manner checking for leaks at the same time.

I think I've got a better pic, I'll try and find it later......

Regards,

Andrew

185202752_313463130146505_8524244556330077967_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Something like this:-

Which is very similar to a diagram I drew a few years ago...

616448445_HouseWaterSupply600.jpg.d8c2bc595aa9eed2b181d2284dcd913b.jpg

When the "City Water" pressure is high enough, the pump doesn't switch on and the house gets "City" water at a good pressure.

When the "City Water" pressure is low, the pump switches on and the house gets "tank" water at a good enough pressure.

• Like 2

Hi, that was quick, thanks!

We're on mains water (suburban SamutPrakan).

I wasn't sure if there should be a float valve on the tank input, seems logical that there should be, I'll need to have a look in the tank when we get back.

I'm not sure that there's enough mains water pressure to fill the tank (top is ~2M above ground level).

I wonder if some of the extraneous plumbing is to enable the pump output to be redirected to tank filling if the mains pressure is too low?

Regards,

Andrew

Just now, RetroGTAndrew said:

I wasn't sure if there should be a float valve on the tank input, seems logical that there should be, I'll need to have a look in the tank when we get back.

????  Yes, my tank drawing is not detailed enough! There is a ball-cock type valve inside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

I'm not sure that there's enough mains water pressure to fill the tank (top is ~2M above ground level).

Things are better now, but when we first moved in the tank would only fill at night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

I wonder if some of the extraneous plumbing is to enable the pump output to be redirected to tank filling if the mains pressure is too low?

Two of my neighbours have the same problem! My tank is below ground - in a hole in the garden with only 6 inches showing above ground. It gets whatever water is left in the pipes from the city, no matter how low the pressure! ???? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Something like this (it's for mains not well, but you get the idea):-

976386584_pumpsetup2.jpg.98076e7f85c487ad6ffdaf966287255f.jpg

Thats pretty much all you need but I would add a valve just before the non return valve on the towns water bypass line.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Hi, that was quick, thanks!

I got b*gger all else to do today! ????

You might also consider getting a float device that cuts the power to the pump when the tank is nearly empty. You can see the orange float in this old picture I have:

833982909_OpenTankIMG_20210311_132557b.thumb.jpg.0a0f9dabd9fb3e7b9b61f673b8c7542e.jpg

The float is buoyant, but heavy, and is attached by a piece of string to a microswitch. When the level is low enough, the float hangs on the switch and then turns off the power.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

I was fairly sure it should be quite straightforward.

I'm sure I've got a wider picture of the tank and it's plumbing but for the life of me I can't find it at the moment.

It appears that the wifes son (him and daughter have small places on the property) has b*ggered about with the plumbing while we're stuck in the UK and the tank is empty so it should be easier to pull everything out and start again.

Thanks again,

Andrew

• Like 1