New Leo beer variant: 'Leo No. 8'

Tapster

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Me? Tiger or Tsingtao or...

Tsingtao: Thats a blast from the past for me. Last time I had a few bottles of Tsingtao, it was in a chinese restaurant in Kendal (UK) near The Stonecross Manor hotel. That was in 2005/2006 ish.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

14 hours ago, johng said:

Such a shame that Thailand  reneges on its  trade deals  to protect a couple of mediocre beer producing families

and deprive us all of the chance to enjoy cheap booze from  ASEAN counties  which includes Australia,  a bottle of Aussie wine  3 times as much  as it is in the UK !!! 

As a wine drinker I find it particularly galling especially as there is supposed to be a free trade agreement with Australia.

I suspect they get around it by giving the taxes a different name.

Unfortunately Thailand seems to have a history of ignoring agreements until pressure is applied

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Been around for a while now.

I must admit I quite like it, certainly more so than the regular Leo.

Yes it has been around a while, and like you quite like it, not as sweet as the normal Leo. I took that as being the reason they call it "strong" rather than alcoholic strength, also helps the marketing.

I thought the Cheers in the red tin had gone, but that has come back in a revamped tin. That is a bit stronger.

I also think the Chang Expresso(coffee flavour) makes a nice change.

14 hours ago, johng said:

Such a shame that Thailand  reneges on its  trade deals  to protect a couple of mediocre beer producing families

and deprive us all of the chance to enjoy cheap booze from  ASEAN counties  which includes Australia,  a bottle of Aussie wine  3 times as much  as it is in the UK !!! 

I suspect they get around the issue by giving the taxes a different name, however Thailand seems to have a history of ignoring its obligations until international pressure is applied.

As a wine drinker I find it particularly galling.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

For some time now, the Chang and both Leo Beers have been tasting just like chemical Water. Or  Cats P!!$.

There has obviously been a shift, first at Chang, and then the Leo Brewery's toward making the products cheaper.

Dont drink either now, awful stuff.

I agree with your sentiment. But while I can kind of relate (not from personal experience) to your knowledge of the taste of chemical water I shiver at the thought how you came to experience the taste of the other..... ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maybole said:

Leo No8 is too sweet for me. I usually drink Tiger because it is the best of a poor lot. It is 56 Baht per 630ml bottle from Big C

Same here. It is usually Tiger or San Miguel for me.

I have been drinking this for three months. I like it and so does my wife.  It has a reasonable "tang" of beer about it and is favoured by me over so-called "beer" which is actually lager.

The day may come when Thai breweries make some real beer that I am sure the Thais would like. A call for a campaign for real ale is needed - CAMRA in UK

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is. My wife came home with a box of the stuff when we feared a lockdown. Everyone should have a wife like that.

Is she a heavy drinker?

Was she thinking about her lovely husband when walking around the "alcohol isle" or rather thinking about herself.

11 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Is she a heavy drinker?

Was she thinking about her lovely husband when walking around the "alcohol isle" or rather thinking about herself.

Your comment could be considered offensive by some, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The answers are no, yes and no.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your comment could be considered offensive by some, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The answers are no, yes and no.

Just joking. BB, you know how we joke with each other????

Good lady.

Edited by AlfHuy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is. My wife came home with a box of the stuff when we feared a lockdown. Everyone should have a wife like that.

My wife went one step further and bought a case of it paid for with free Government money.

I had the onerous duty of having to drag it indoors!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I suspect they get around the issue by giving the taxes a different name, however Thailand seems to have a history of ignoring its obligations until international pressure is applied.

As a wine drinker I find it particularly galling.

I guess Australia should be applying some pressure now that China has wacked a HUGE new import tariff on Australian wines. Virtually closing its biggest export market. 

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I guess Australia should be applying some pressure now that China has wacked a HUGE new import tariff on Australian wines. Virtually closing its biggest export market. 

I understand that a lot of the wine that was destined for China has been redirected to the UK.

As far as Thailand is concerned on the charts I was looking at they are not even listed separately but suppose they come under “others” 

From that  assume compared with other markets the percentage is small.

I understand that the issue of tax has been raised but until firm action is taken Thailand will ignore it.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Been around for a while now.

I must admit I quite like it, certainly more so than the regular Leo.

It's all pather-<deleted>.  This country is incapable of making a good beer, and taxes those imports that have some flavor to high heaven. Monopolies despise competition. 

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I understand that a lot of the wine that was destined for China has been redirected to the UK.

As far as Thailand is concerned on the charts I was looking at they are not even listed separately but suppose they come under “others” 

From that  assume compared with other markets the percentage is small.

I understand that the issue of tax has been raised but until firm action is taken Thailand will ignore it.

Well I have friends in Oz (wine makers and growers ) who had a great business exporting huge bladders of red wine to China then re~bottleling there. Years of traveling to China and establishing importers and agents etc. Pretty sure they can just divert their wine to the UK.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, clivebaxter said:

Leo is the worst beer I have ever tried and this new one is no better, an extra 0.1 percent is not worth the bother, it's just a marketing gimmick.

Which beer do you drink?

Singha, Heineken, occasionally Federbrao, Beer Lao, and San Miguel. Won’t touch Chang or Leo anymore. As for the rest of beers you can buy, 7-11 does have a couple others that are palatable, but not in big doses of drinking. The imports are way too spendy to drink in volume except from time to have a nice flavor. But I will go try Leo 8 just to say I did. 

Edited by holy cow cm

On 5/12/2021 at 5:26 PM, johng said:

Australia is not in ASEAN.