COVID-19 vaccination: The sooner the better

snoop1130

08b02e0c0ae0a0bc81bb28a6982f564a_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Although doctors have repeatedly stressed that the benefits of a COVID-19 vaccination outweigh any risks, some people are still concerned about having an adverse reaction. Professor of Pediatrics of the Division of Infectious Diseases of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Prof. Dr. Kulkanya Chokephaibulkit, who is an expert in COVID-19 vaccines and their side effects, has provided information about the vaccines developed by Sinovac and Astrazeneca. The AstraZeneca vaccine is the country’s primary vaccine against the virus.

Prof. Dr. Kulkanya said the Sinovac vaccine has potential mild side effects, such as fever, fatigue, headache and nausea. The side effects are safe and they don’t last for more than three days. After Sinovac doses were administered to some 1 million people in Thailand, 82 out of 1 million recipients, or 0.008 percent, suffered from fatigue. Twelve out of 1 million recipients, or 0.0012 percent, had serious adverse reactions.

Reported side effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine include fever, fatigue, headache and nausea. Sixteen out of 1 million recipients, or 0.0016 percent, had serious adverse reactions. In other countries, four out of one million recipients suffered from blood clots. There have been no reports of blood clots among recipients in Thailand.

As for COVID-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, 50 to 80 percent of the recipients developed fever and fatigue. In the United States, one case per 100,000 people, who received the Pfizer vaccine, developed a serious allergic reaction.

In Thailand, mild reactions, such as fatigue and headaches, are more common among young vaccine recipients. Nonetheless, unvaccinated people, who have tested positive for COVID-19, may suffer more serious complications.

The physician added that having vaccine options is beneficial because it can reduce concerns as well as side effects. However, all brands of COVID-19 vaccine can help reduce the severity of the infection and chance of death. Therefore, people should not wait to receive their ideal vaccine. The sooner people get vaccinated, the sooner they are protected. Besides, the outcomes will not differ significantly.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-05-12

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Although doctors have repeatedly stressed that the benefits of a COVID-19 vaccination outweigh any risks, some people are still concerned about having an adverse reaction.

I never see them providing us with graphs, just so so many dead, and so so many infected, where is the balance so we can make an informed decision ?

42 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I never see them providing us with graphs, just so so many dead, and so so many infected, where is the balance so we can make an informed decision ?

The article gave plenty of information including 4 cases of blood clots out of 1 million.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The article gave plenty of information including 4 cases of blood clots out of 1 million.

yes, but only basics of numbers of reactions.

IMHO to be valuable to aid in decisions I would want to see more specifics of the reactions and see detailed comment on how easily/quickly the reactions were relieved. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, that in itself speaks volumes.

Bigoted much? Here's a bit of information about the organization that's running the covid studies in Brazil:

Instituto Butantan

Instituto Butantan (in modern Portuguese, Instituto Butantã,[1] pronounced [ĩʃtʃiˈtutu butɐ̃ˈtɐ̃]) is a Brazilian biologic research center located in Butantã, in the western part of the city of São Paulo, Brazil. Instituto Butantan is a public institution affiliated with the São Paulo State Secretariat of Health and considered one of the major scientific centers in the world.[2] Butantan is the largest immunobiologicals and biopharmaceuticals producer in Latin America (and one of the largest in the world). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto_Butantan#cite_note-2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The way numbers are thrown around these these days, by just about everyone......I honestly think no one has any idea what the risks are....

Yea I hate it too, when the confuse the issue with facts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

No, not really. If China had shut its borders and airports when they found it rather than celebrating New Year then the deaths would probably be a lot less - millions less. Why on earth would I trust a vaccine from country that failed the world so badly in the first place ? 

After this covid debacle I would not trust anything that come from China. too.

I suggest you throw that Chinese made toaster of yours and anything else Chinese made, out the window, and do it fast before something bad happens. 

But please, in the spirit of safety,  make sure to yell "LOOK OUT BELOW" as you do. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

We all now it's a lot more than that worldwide, but they keep saying the risks outweighs the benefit, too me that's like saying; cross the freeway to save yourself going 20 kilometres around to get to the other side, no thanks, I will take the 20 kilometre route.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

there are barely 3mln sinovac and less than 3mln of AZ sometimes in June.

That is far below needs of 16mln senior and patients, on top of this many more millions of medical and emergency personnel. 

No point of encouraging people step up, if not much can be offered.

Those figures for the vax not available now in thailand are pointless. When those become available there would be choice and comparison and discussion would make sense. Now there is not any choice.

But there is no real urgency the entire government and senior military have been vaccinated already.  The rest can wait.

47 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

We all now it's a lot more than that worldwide, but they keep saying the risks outweighs the benefit, too me that's like saying; cross the freeway to save yourself going 20 kilometres around to get to the other side, no thanks, I will take the 20 kilometre route.

Who exactly is the "We" who "all now it's a lot more than that worldwide". And I'm guessing you meant to say they keep saying the benefits outweigh the risks". Which they do. So your freeway analogy makes no sense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

No, not really. If China had shut its borders and airports when they found it rather than celebrating New Year then the deaths would probably be a lot less - millions less. Why on earth would I trust a vaccine from country that failed the world so badly in the first place ? 

Even if they had been absolutely forthcoming it would have been too late given the reality of high volume international travel. And given how negligently most governments reacted to the threat at first, why would it have made any difference if the Chinese had been open and forthcoming about it? Ya think Trump, Johnson, Bolsanaro, Amlo, etc. would have reacted differently?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Professor of Pediatrics of the Division of Infectious Diseases of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Prof. Dr. Kulkanya Chokephaibulkit, who is an expert in COVID-19 vaccines and their side effects, has provided information about the vaccines developed by Sinovac and Astrazeneca.

Yeah ok... another expert.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I had two doses of the AZ, no issues.

I simply do not trust any vaccine coming out of China - the country that exported the virus in the first place. The proof of Sinovac will be found in the coming months and years in 'my' opinion. Very Very Happy to be proved wrong. 

Vaccines are not as complicated as you try to made out to be. Simple choice of death from covid versus life. Prejudice is not part of the decision making. I will be happy too if anyone can provide scientific evidence that link vaccination and deaths of any vaccine type. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Same comments re the USA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xmas said:

I have found many Thai friends are choosing not to have the vaccine as they are scared of the side effects. Unfortunatley rumours abound in Thailand regarding these sought of issues. Looking at the stats coming out of the UK after so many persons have been vaccinated it appears the rate of serious illness and deaths is falling quickly. If Thailand want to protect their people and open the country they need to convice the polulus and step the vaccinations

It's the same here in the village in Isaan where I live. My wife says no one will have it because "it's dangerous". I showed her the numbers from UK too but...