Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Poor Biden has enough problems that he can't solve, as a US Vietnam Vet. I am happy to  wait for the vaccines to come in like everyone else. Take a deep breath the vaccines will be here soon.

With Covid variant on the rise and no vaccines on the near horizon, I wouldn’t suggest taking a deep breath without the aid of a mask

• Like 1

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

Who is they? The embassies of which countries? Is the Thai Red Cross meant to be coopted in the interests of expats? Has it no other functions to perform?

But it is not the Thai Red Cross. It is part of the entire Red Cross organization... not a separate entity.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Chair of Democrats Abroad..... Enough said. What he means is please can I take part in your clinical trial with your emergency use only jabbb from a disease I have 99 percent of not dying from so I can look all virtuous and blame Trump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

The strong arguement in favor of Americans living abroad is that they pay taxes on their worldly income and are obliged to live by the USA regulations. It's a two street: pay taxes, receive benefit.

I know two who don’t perhaps they don’t receive enough income.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's right of course, embassies should be doing this for all foreigners but won't because they spend all day avoiding work

british embassy renowned for doing just that their view is you got yourself here get yourself out do everything yourself 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

But it is not the Thai Red Cross. It is part of the entire Red Cross organization... not a separate entity.

"The Thai Red Cross Society is a national charitable organization undertaking humanitarian activities in keeping with the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This organization, dynamic and innovative, has a vision to move forward to excellence and strictly follow its core values/missions – grievance relief, quality of life promotion, disease treatment and suffering eradication. It serves public benefit and can be relied upon by the public."

https://english.redcross.or.th/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

"The Thai Red Cross Society is a national charitable organization undertaking humanitarian activities in keeping with the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This organization, dynamic and innovative, has a vision to move forward to excellence and strictly follow its core values/missions – grievance relief, quality of life promotion, disease treatment and suffering eradication. It serves public benefit and can be relied upon by the public."

https://english.redcross.or.th/

Exactly what I said!

12 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

It’s not the case with the Australian Embassy either always had good service.

Our Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai is great, since Covid the Outreach Visits from  Bangkok have been suspended but Ron has been receiving such things as passport renewals saving a visit to Bangkok.

Ron is good value, I found him to be very professional when renewing my passport pre-COVID.

• Like 2

they said the number is 8 million.  maybe more.  definitely more.  can't just do billy bob.....gotta do all 8 million.

how could this change?  if, say, ONLY Thailand ex-pats really start dying.   then it makes news.  then there's the priority.  then they get the vac.

nobody in America is going to care about expats.   EX pats.  EX pats.   they think expats are super rich anyhow.

little do they know most expats have been using the same mask for over a year, dipped in his 20 baht soup over 28,000 times.  hahahahhaha

the worst pandemic of our lifetimes........over 15 months and still no solution for the expats....   amazing how slow this world works.  

i'm amazed some idiot created the wheel, computers, anything really...

i was told this thing would be under control in May, 2020!!!!  hahahahahhah

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

American exceptionalism ignored the virus, with horrific consequences. Still the world's highest death toll.

Now the same exceptionalism is saying their diplomats should be converting embassy staff into healthcare providers.

At the same time the Republican and Democrat posters are taking potshots on this thread at each other, I would have thought a united front would be desirable in this situation.

Honestly, on TV I sometimes don't know whether to laugh or cry.

deaths per capita, where are you from?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Given that it's Trump supporters who constitute the vast majority of vaccine refuseniks, yours seems a case of false even-handedness.

IMO you just validated what I posted.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Its better for this issue to be led by democrats abroad because democrats are in power now. So don't look a gift donkey in the mouth.

I have an idea. Expats could contact their stateside friends and relatives and ask them to contact their representatives. We all know out of sight out of mind but stateside people command more attention.

Or you could write to them directly by email, or call them on the phone yourself!

I'm an Australian & I've constantly been in touch w/ AUS Embassy + AUS Foreign Affairs Minister & Australian Dept of Foreign Affairs, asking will vaccine be available & have they contacted Thai Gov't about vaccine for foreigners. Had no positive 

responses!!

They really don't care about citizens abroad, as anor correspondent commented, "...They look for ways to avoid work..." V true!!

They're a bunch of overpaid, taxpayer funded, bludgers !!

Edited by eggers
  • Like 1

Just now, bunnydrops said:

If it makes you feel more comfortable to base your thinking on that statistic, that's your choice. 579,000 deaths in the USA is still leading the world. I'm from Australia, 910 deaths.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

American exceptionalism ignored the virus, with horrific consequences. Still the world's highest death toll.

Now the same exceptionalism is saying their diplomats should be converting embassy staff into healthcare providers.

At the same time the Republican and Democrat posters are taking potshots on this thread at each other, I would have thought a united front would be desirable in this situation.

Honestly, on TV I sometimes don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Dear God, sometimes I wonder if people can actually understand data.

Total deaths of course is the highest just because of population, but deaths per 1M of population is not.

USA; 1,797

UK: 1,872

Italy: 2,046

France: 1,638

Belgium: 2,155

...the list goes on

So just get over yourselves and this self righteous sanctimonious belief that anything American must be bad.

Very few Governments have covered themselves in glory throughout this, but in fairness, I don't think there was a playbook to play by.

As for the US Government supplying vaccines to overseas citizens. 

No, the choice to live overseas is a personal choice. We all accept that our medicare health benefits don't travel with us, so why on earth a covid shot would baffles be.

Your choices are wait for your country of residence to vaccinate you, or you can choose to get your a**ss on a plane and get it done in the US 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

In the days that I was selling machinery in Asia we lost countless orders due to US Embassies around Asia treating our customers with total disrespect. 

You've reminded me of the film "Johnny Goldfarb, please come home" where the American ambassador presents a Muslim prince with pigskin suitcases. Apparently based on a true story. Apologies if off topic.

• Like 1