Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies

snoop1130

Just now, Brierley said:

And those people who are neither tax nor work and pay income tax, should they be treated equally as fairly?

Are you saying they are the selfish ones?

7 minutes ago, Misty said:

Between 300-350k Thais are estimated to live in the US.  Pretty sure they have all access to vaccinations by now and did not have to "stand at the back of the line." At a very basic minimum, reciprocity should be required.

Every day now more Thais are flying into LAX to get US vaccines.

It's not the fault of Thai citizens abroad if the Thai govt doesn't understand what's in its best interests. In the US it is understood that everyone benefits when more residents are vaccinated. That said, some states are still making it difficult for undocumented aliens to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

Just now, Misty said:

Unfortunately your original statement wasn't clear.  Who is being selfish, in your opinion.

Mine was a general statement that was not specific to a single nationality, just an observation. You however seem to have said that as long as US people are paying taxes here they should be treated the same as Thai's. My follow up question was about those foreigners' who don't work or pay tax, should they be treated the same way or not?

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic..

Like they Said they Never applied Health care to their  people not in the country .

I would say they won't do it now. 

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

Americans cherish the notion that they are a 'can do' peoples.

Finding local clinicians in Bangkok and importing a few tens of  thousands of doses of vaccine should be within their grasp. It's really more a matter of motivation. 

Extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures. 

Expats here aren't expecting Healthcare, just a 30 second needle jab. 

I recently met a renowned USA military virologist serving a 3 year tour with USAMD-AFRIMS. He lives and works in a medical compound in Bangkok and told me that America had been working closely with the Thai government for decades on infectious diseases. I suspect he is qualified to give injections and am all but sure he and his family have alresdy gotten the Moderna vaccine he recommended I wait for. 

There's a way if there's a will. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/bangkok/us-agencies/usamd-afrims/

Read their mission statement and tell me why they couldn't help; this is what they live for. I know I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Bangkok. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they already have a vaccine stockpile. A single word from their Comnandet-in-Chief would do the trick. Who knows? 

That said, one of the reasons I live here is decreased expectations of support from my own government at home, much less from the embassy in Bangkok. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's right of course, embassies should be doing this for all foreigners but won't because they spend all day avoiding work

I wish Australia would wake the hell up and send vaccines over! Whats the big deal????????????

It's NOT rocket science!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Logistically not feasible

why? Logistically simple and a contracts with one of more local hospitals to administer the vaccine. It could be done easily they just cant be arsed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In this article, it states that Aaron Kruse, is living in South Africa w his South African fiancée due to the virus and cannot leave to get a vaccine.

How is it that some international schools in Thailand are able to get TEACHER’S from South Africa to work here IF these two can’t leave?

IF they can’t leave how can those SOuth African teachers come here??????

Brown envelope ? 

4 hours ago, Chris888 said:

Only a Democrat would think that US Embassies around the World would supply a vaccine. Always wanting something free.

Typical Republican arrogance!  The democrats feel that it is our right as Americans to expect some concern and action from our government.  No one mentioned anything about free.  Anyone who has ever dealt with the US embassy knows that nothing is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why? Logistically simple and a contracts with one of more local hospitals to administer the vaccine. It could be done easily they just cant be arsed. 

does not need to be a hospital A Clinic can do it.   They could contract VFS Global to oversee the roll out or the host of Medical pannelists that are already regstered with the Embassies and provide health check for visa applicants.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

I am guessing you work for the US embassy then.  Don't ask why your embassy should help you, ask why they should not. The British Embassy is just as bad, a bunch of useless sycophants sucking up to the Thai regime. BTW, they have all been vaccinated.

Your guess is just wrong. I do not work for the Embassy (if I did, I would be vaccinated, as you insist), I am a retired expat with no connection to the Embassy. 
I think you read whatever you wanted into to my post, but none of what you imply is related to what I said. 
my post was regarding the professionalism and promptness of the embassy’s response to my questions. 
while you insist the Embassy staff are “useless sycophants”, my experience over the last 7 years has been quite to the contrary. My every interaction (and there have been many) with American Embassy staff has always been professional, respectful and efficient. 
I am disappointed that the State Department is seemingly abandoning American citizens living abroad in relation to the Covid vaccines, but the Embassy staff is not to blame. 
Perhaps your experience with Embassy personal is related to your own expectations and attitude. 

34 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I am an American living in Thailand.  As an American citizen, I am REQUIRED to file my income taxes every year as well as the foreign bank notice which meant that AMERICAN  citizens without a home in the US are not supposed to have a US bank account though I know many use a relative's address or have international dialing which rings in Thailand if the bank calls the US number but this is just not really the intent of the law.  As such, since many here are not US citizens their country doesn't make them pay taxes on their income - some have changed laws too so that in order to retain certain privileges in their home country they have to pay a fee.  However speaking as an American I feel that since I have to pay taxes always, that I should be represented - after all we had a revolution because of taxation without representation 245 years ago.  Since my tax dollars have gone into the rapid rise of vaccines in the US, why shouldn't I and my fellow Americans be given shots?  Most US embassies have a medical staff but also why can't local nurses be hired for diplomatic missions to give the shots.  All we would need to do is register, get an appointment, show up and get the shot.  They admit they already sent vaccines to 200+ missions around the world.  Why should I have to wait while the local govt hems and haws about possibility of my getting a shot, especially since most the locals are getting are not even approved by the US govt?

I have a US Bank account my 401 deposits directly into it my wife's and my ss deposits into our thai bank and have not had a problem 

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Logistically not feasible.  What would an embassy do?  Set up a mass vaccination site on embassy grounds?  Not likely.  Security to enter any US Embassy(especially now) is cumbersome.  Also, the embassy would then have o set up a process to register, verify and book time slots for the vaccination.  Could the embassy hire local medical staff to vaccinate only it's citizens?  It could turn into a diplomatic nightmare.  If it got really bad in any country the only real assistance the embassy would provide is emergency evacuation(anyone remember those flights from Japan to Travis Air Force Base in 2020?).  Of course even embassy operated evacuations are not free.  As I recall the US Embassy charged each evacuated person from Japan approximately $4400.  

This is issue is Dead on Arrival.  

However they actually did manage to set up a vaccination service for their own employees and relatives!

Edited by Xonax

46 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Mine was a general statement that was not specific to a single nationality, just an observation. You however seem to have said that as long as US people are paying taxes here they should be treated the same as Thai's. My follow up question was about those foreigners' who don't work or pay tax, should they be treated the same way or not?

Got it.  Since this thread is called " Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies" I thought you were referring to far Flung US citizens as being selfish and as not being fair or sharing.  My point was that those far-flung US citizens who pay shedloads of tax in both countries may think they have in fact been fair and shared and not been selfish all along. They may think their embassy should work to get some form of reciprocity, especially since their gov't is planning to give vaccines away.  But I didn't realize you were talking about all foreigners on this thread, and I wasn't commenting on all foreigners.

• Like 1

The Embassy could setup shop in Nana Plaza. Open air, covered and a lot of room in the middle. 
every time I’ve used ACS, sometime very important stuff, they were outstanding. 
No one, especially Americans should disparage them in any way. ????????

35 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Americans cherish the notion that they are a 'can do' peoples.

Finding local clinicians in Bangkok and importing a few tens of  thousands of doses of vaccine should be within their grasp. It's really more a matter of motivation. 

Extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures. 

Expats here aren't expecting Healthcare, just a 30 second needle jab. 

I recently met a renowned USA military virologist serving a 3 year tour with USAMD-AFRIMS. He lives and works in a medical compound in Bangkok and told me that America had been working closely with the Thai government for decades on infectious diseases. I suspect he is qualified to give injections and am all but sure he and his family have alresdy gotten the Moderna vaccine he recommended I wait for. 

There's a way if there's a will. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/bangkok/us-agencies/usamd-afrims/

Read their mission statement and tell me why they couldn't help; this is what they live for. I know I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Bangkok. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they already have a vaccine stockpile. A single word from their Comnandet-in-Chief would do the trick. Who knows? 

That said, one of the reasons I live here is decreased expectations of support from my own government at home, much less from the embassy in Bangkok. 

I too have wondered about AFRIMS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Chair of Democrats Abroad..... Enough said. What he means is please can I take part in your clinical trial with your emergency use only jabbb from a disease I have 99 percent of not dying from so I can look all virtuous and blame Trump.

Did you just skim the article or did you just ignore the fact that the Republicans abroad have also co-sponsored this effort? Really take some time and get informed before lashing out with your misguided views

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is he not wearing a mask so that he can show his face! Well if you want a jab that bad go to the clinic, book in, pay and get it. Fairly simple process, in actual fact I will give you mine as I don't need nor want it.