Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies

snoop1130

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

They don't need the time and training to turn themselfs into a health clinic , If Amerika just sends the vaccines they can get Thai medical personal to administer the jabs . 

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

They don't need the time and training to turn themselfs into a health clinic , If Amerika just sends the vaccines they can get Thai medical personal to administer the jabs . 

I've advocated for the American govt sending a generous donation of vaccines with the stipulation that Americans be allowed access to the Thai covid vaccination system.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, d2b2 said:

I did contact the American embassy by email in this regard. I received a form reply that was the same as the information provided on the website. I replied to the email asking for further clarification and promptly received a professional and polite phone call from the embassy. The answers were not what I had hoped for, but they were responsive to my requests for information. The embassy staff had not yet been vaccinated at the time of the call and they did not expect any change in State Department policy regarding American taxpayers living abroad. They were hopeful that Thailand would soon be able to provide Americans with vaccine choices soon. Again, they were responsive, polite and professional.

My qeustion is , what does this have to do with Americans that live abroad paying taxes or voting . You mean if they don't pay tax or vote in your mind they cannot get vaccinated by their own country if there was a chance to do so if vaccines get shipped here ? They hold an American passport don't they( paying taxes or voting or not)? So if America can send vaccines to India(or wherever) to help them out , they cannot send them to American passport holders living abroad that don't vote or pay tax ? I find that a bit strange. 

Vaccines could be provided to U.S. citizens through U.S. embassies and consulates, in particular as many are now re-opening for U.S. citizen services," said Marylouise Serrato, executive director of the advocacy group American Citizens Abroad.

The group last month wrote to the U.S. Congress and the State Department saying overseas Americans who file taxes and vote should have the same access to vaccines as U.S. residents.

Same her the executive director finds it so important to say , Americans who file taxes and vote!! 

You'r an american when you hold an American passport and has nothing to do with voting or paying taxes . They should help all their citizens .

America land of the free , but if you don't pay taxes or vote you are not alligable to get vaccinated . 

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's right of course, embassies should be doing this for all foreigners but won't because they spend all day avoiding work

Playing Tennis is physically demanding, I'll have you know!????

How about using U.S. AID to handle the whole process across the world? I have worked with them in Mongolia. Their job is helping some of the poorer countries with American money. Also the US military. I went into Pakistan and Afghanistan after 9/11 and the US military paid for around ten 40 foot containers of wheelchairs and crutches, winter blankets, medicines, etc for the refugees fleeing into Pakistan to escape the bombing in Afghanistan. The military has deep pockets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

not going to happen, however giving away surplus to other country, while forgetting your own taxpayers is propostorous

Especially where the payment for the vaccines have been paid for by the American taxpayer.

8 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

My qeustion is , what does this have to do with Americans that live abroad paying taxes or voting . You mean if they don't pay tax or vote in your mind they cannot get vaccinated by their own country if there was a chance to do so if vaccines get shipped here ? They hold an American passport don't they( paying taxes or voting or not)? So if America can send vaccines to India(or wherever) to help them out , they cannot send them to American passport holders living abroad that don't vote or pay tax ? I find that a bit strange. 

Vaccines could be provided to U.S. citizens through U.S. embassies and consulates, in particular as many are now re-opening for U.S. citizen services," said Marylouise Serrato, executive director of the advocacy group American Citizens Abroad.

The group last month wrote to the U.S. Congress and the State Department saying overseas Americans who file taxes and vote should have the same access to vaccines as U.S. residents.

Same her the executive director finds it so important to say , Americans who file taxes and vote!! 

You'r an american when you hold an American passport and has nothing to do with voting or paying taxes . They should help all their citizens .

America land of the free , but if you don't pay taxes or vote you are not alligable to get vaccinated . 

Voting does not seem relevant, except as a reminder that expats do play a role in seating those elected officials who received the letter. Taxes, however are what have paid for both the development and distribution of the vaccines stateside and pointing out that expats have contributed to that expense every bit as much as those stateside and their contribution should be worthy of receiving the same lifesaving dividend.. I don't think anyone is suggesting that those with no tax liability or dependants or non voters should be passed over for vaccines.

• Like 1

Exactly! I’d expect this from the last administration, but not the current one.

You can’t even call the embassy unless someone has died or been kidnapped!

When I did call months ago I got that BS line “your health care is your responsibility”.

Really Joe? You should’ve told me that before I voted for you and I wouldn’t have bothered.

This isn’t just healthcare, it’s a pandemic.

Make vaccinating us a priority or it just proves you don’t really care about us.

Where am I now you ask? In the USA. I had to risk my life to get vaccinated, despite a heart issue and being 63.

It warms my heart you plan to send vaccines all over the world. BUT HOW ABOUT US? We pay taxes and we vote.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

If every CVS, Rite Aid,.Walgreens, and Costco are giving vaccines then the USeless,  I mean , US Embassies can do it . They are even use to processing thousands of Visa seekers a day. Put visa issuance on hold. As most are probably just going to USA to get a free vaccination anyway, and process American Citizens thru for shots. I heard China was providing shots for its own citizens living in Africa. Are we less capable than them?

• Like 2

I think expats should be protected by being vaccinated in the country of actual residence.

The Thai Government agrees with this and has offered covid vaccination service to all foreigners, at the same time recognising this is more than beneficial to the protection of their own citizens.

The deposition to the US is partly about believing that, where there are circumstances such as delayed rollout of vaccines and other uncertainties related to if, when, how, where and at what cost, such as in Thailand, US citizens here feel their own country should support them in the need to vaccinate without avoidable delay.

I sympathise with that view and am in agreement here.

Edited by ChrisKC
added
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Appointment system?  How long is the wait now for s simple service at the US Embassy or Consulate.  For passport renewals the US Embassy has been pushing mail in in order to discourage people from coming to the embassy for in person services

The wait is long because for years, at least since 2015, the embassy has been steadily making it more difficult to come in for services. When I first arrived here 11 years ago, no appointment was needed for anything. You just walked in during service hours Mon-Fri. When I renewed my passport less than two years ago, all that had changed. You could only do passport renewal on certain days at early hours. Other services were restricted to later in the day. And Friday was a holiday for ACS and no services were given whatsoever. Not to mention they no longer do income letters and you cannot come to the embassy to get a new passport, you must have it mailed to you. I think they have a lot of free time on their hands.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"We have not historically provided private healthcare for Americans living overseas, so that remains our policy," Psaki told reporters. "But I don't have anything to predict in terms of what may be ahead."

If the USA gives in to the demand ! What next ,Medicare for all eligible expats ! Its been long established, ya got to be in the states(+territories) to enjoy medical assistance from the feds!

Edited by riclag

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

Where would & to whom would the negligence documents be filed when the first expat dies from complications? Minefield oder? 

4 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Of course he/she is, unless they think the virus is a hoax and the vaccine is deadly.

It isn't only free for U.S. citizens stateside, it is free for everyone regardless of citizenship...even Thai Nationals. 

• Like 2