Far-flung U.S. citizens clamour for vaccines from embassies

snoop1130

This would sure be a great service, if they were to offer it. From a practical point of view, there are many clinics they could likely contract with, who could do the actual work. And most of us would be happy to pay for a real vaccine, like Pfizer or Moderna, instead of being offered the Sinojunk, which I would not take if it were the last vaccine on earth. 

But, will it happen? It is a long shot, at best. And waiting for Prayuth or Anutin to show us some leadership and competency is a frustrating exercise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In some states not for undocumented aliens.

Which states? The federal policy is to try to vaccinate everyone. Failure to do so will prevent achieving herd immunity. It is in every state's and every person's s best interest to vaccinate as many as possible.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This would sure be a great service, if they were to offer it. From a practical point of view, there are many clinics they could likely contract with, who could do the actual work. And most of us would be happy to pay for a real vaccine, like Pfizer or Moderna, instead of being offered the Sinojunk, which I would not take if it were the last vaccine on earth. 

But, will it happen? It is a long shot, at best. And waiting for Prayuth or Anutin to show us some leadership and competency is a frustrating exercise. 

Doesn't Jusmag already have a retiree office for US military retirees in Thailand? Why can't that be coopted? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Logistically not feasible.  What would an embassy do?  Set up a mass vaccination site on embassy grounds?  Not likely.  Security to enter any US Embassy(especially now) is cumbersome.  Also, the embassy would then have o set up a process to register, verify and book time slots for the vaccination.  Could the embassy hire local medical staff to vaccinate only it's citizens?  It could turn into a diplomatic nightmare.  If it got really bad in any country the only real assistance the embassy would provide is emergency evacuation(anyone remember those flights from Japan to Travis Air Force Base in 2020?).  Of course even embassy operated evacuations are not free.  As I recall the US Embassy charged each evacuated person from Japan approximately $4400.  

This is issue is Dead on Arrival.  

It was somehow feasible to vaccinate thousands of embassy employees and their dependents with Pfizer.
It was somehow feasible to vaccinate hundreds of millions of domestic citizens in a few short months.
Surely someone is smart enough to figure out how to get a few hundred citizens jabbed at the embassy each day. (Maybe fewer, given all the anti-vaxxers that seem to have washed up here.)
You are aware that the place if filled with logistics experts?

Edited by pathologix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d2b2 said:

Voting does not seem relevant, except as a reminder that expats do play a role in seating those elected officials who received the letter. Taxes, however are what have paid for both the development and distribution of the vaccines stateside and pointing out that expats have contributed to that expense every bit as much as those stateside and their contribution should be worthy of receiving the same lifesaving dividend.. I don't think anyone is suggesting that those with no tax liability or dependants or non voters should be passed over for vaccines.

What are you saying ? They are Americans tax or not maybe they have spend their lives in America and spend their hard earned money there for most of their lives just because they don't pay tax doesn't mean they didn't contribute to the society . So sending vaccines to India makes more sence to you then sending it to an American abroad ? I think the American expats here in thailand wouldn't mind paying for the vaccine America sends over as long as they have a choice to wich one they can take . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Always looks a little odd when you see an older guy with a young son or daughter, but they look happy. I am tossed on if the Embassy should help out or not. But technically the USA could bring in the vaccine under diplomatic immunity and when at the Embassy in BKK or Consulate as in CM, it is USA property and Thailand cannot say anything. Even Mr. Congenial who masquerades as a Health official.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't know what countries you're referring to, but I've been to the US embassy a few times and it didn't look like anyone was slacking off to me. I did get prompt, polite and consistently intelligent service and assistance from the employees. Same experience with the consulate.Just maybe, they don't have the time  or training to turn themselves into a health clinic.

Or they could just arrange the payment for their citizens to get vaccinated in a private hospital.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Abmong said:

That will depend on whatever arrangements the US cares to make.

There are no vaccines in the private hospitals. And most expats aren't complaining about being charged to get vaccinated. It's being unable to get vaccinated.

• Thanks 2

"We have not historically provided private healthcare for Americans living overseas, so that remains our policy," Psaki told reporters.

This is dumbest answer ever:  setting aside the fact that the US govt doesn't provides private healthcare to anyone, including those in the USA - a vaccination is not healthcare but a potentially life-saving prophylactic.  And, as been highlighted above, there are numerous examples of the US govt providing vaccines in the past.  Furthermore, they have vaccinated local Thai citizens (contractors, etc) of which the govt also does not provide any healthcare to (nor receives taxes from!).

As said, taxation is a two way street.  If the govt is going to accept my taxes, they should provide benefits. 

I ask Americans in this forum who lives overseas to provide me examples of ANY benefit they have received from paying their taxes (that, of course, you don't pay extra for: e.g., passports, notary at the Embassy, etc...).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Doesn't Jusmag already have a retiree office for US military retirees in Thailand? Why can't that be coopted? 

It would be a very easy thing to do if they wanted to. I have always felt that the US govt. considers us to be a form of traitors, for having the audacity to leave the "beloved nation". It is #1 after all. LOL. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Logistically very feasible.  How many expats from the US do you think there are in Thailand?  No need to enter very far onto the grounds.  Set up a big tent outside of the buildings.  Safer for unvaccinated people to not congregate inside of buildings anyway.  Appointment system?  Are you kidding?  This is so easy to do.  Easy to automate confirmation emails.  Military medics can be brought in to administer vaccines if needed, but local nurses could also be hired."

1) The exact number is unknown.  Could be at least 25,000?

2) US Embassies, in order to enter, have probably the tightest security protocols.  "A big tent"? On Wireless Road? 

3) Appointment system?  How long is the wait now for s simple service at the US Embassy or Consulate.  For passport renewals the US Embassy has been pushing mail in in order to discourage people from coming to the embassy for in person services

4) Nothing is "easy" when it comes to anything involving the US Embassy

5) Military Medics? From where?  The nearest US Military base with medics is probably in Japan or S. Korea.  The embassy reports to the State Department and Military Medics are under the control of the Defense Department.  This would require cooperation between DOS and DOD(sometimes not so much)

6) Local Nurses?  How would the Thai Government feel about that?  

7) The odds of an Embassy that charges $50 for a Notary stamp and no longer issues income letters taking on  this type of mission is Slim and none.  

As an American who has lived in several countries I have always felt rather unwelcome whenever I went to US Embassies.  This includes Thailand, Kuwait, Haiti, Kabul and Baghdad.  

Obviously this would happen only on explicit orders from Washington. The American Embassy staff would then have to perform or get negative points, possibly posts to challenging places! It would help having the understanding of the Thai government. Maybe the Thai ambassador in Washington would be a better way to communicate on this subject than the Bangkok embassy.

Instead of pointless military exercises allowing thousands of military personnel in to the country to  superspread, lesser sums of taxpayers money could be spent restricting the navy ships to humanitarian vaccination exercises for US Expats using military medics. Ditto for the UK sending it's Navy to SE Asia for obscure activities linked to attempts to join Asean!?!

I often question how useful embassies actually are but I certainly don’t see them as MASH units for citizens who have decided to live outside of their countries????If you have chosen to live in a foreign country you have chosen to leave certain rights and comforts so I suggest you deal with it????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

It would not have not even crossed my mind to ask or expect my country's consulate/embassy to provide me with a vaccine. 

I live in Thailand, I'll get one when Thailand makes them available and according to any waiting list etc. 

It definitely isn't up to the UK Government to make sure I get vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

It would not have not even crossed my mind to ask or expect my country's consulate/embassy to provide me with a vaccine. 

I live in Thailand, I'll get one when Thailand makes them available and according to any waiting list etc. 

It definitely isn't up to the UK Government to make sure I get vaccinated. 

This topic isn't about the UK. So, no need for you to worry.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Logistically very feasible.  How many expats from the US do you think there are in Thailand?  No need to enter very far onto the grounds.  Set up a big tent outside of the buildings.  Safer for unvaccinated people to not congregate inside of buildings anyway.  Appointment system?  Are you kidding?  This is so easy to do.  Easy to automate confirmation emails.  Military medics can be brought in to administer vaccines if needed, but local nurses could also be hired."

1) The exact number is unknown.  Could be at least 25,000?

2) US Embassies, in order to enter, have probably the tightest security protocols.  "A big tent"? On Wireless Road? 

3) Appointment system?  How long is the wait now for s simple service at the US Embassy or Consulate.  For passport renewals the US Embassy has been pushing mail in in order to discourage people from coming to the embassy for in person services

4) Nothing is "easy" when it comes to anything involving the US Embassy

5) Military Medics? From where?  The nearest US Military base with medics is probably in Japan or S. Korea.  The embassy reports to the State Department and Military Medics are under the control of the Defense Department.  This would require cooperation between DOS and DOD(sometimes not so much)

6) Local Nurses?  How would the Thai Government feel about that?  

7) The odds of an Embassy that charges $50 for a Notary stamp and no longer issues income letters taking on  this type of mission is Slim and none.  

As an American who has lived in several countries I have always felt rather unwelcome whenever I went to US Embassies.  This includes Thailand, Kuwait, Haiti, Kabul and Baghdad.  

I'm not flying to Bangkok just for a vaccine.  See, it gets even more complicated then people think or want.  Without Thai governmental assistance or approval.  The US can't just run right in to our rescue and do what they want.  It can be a very complicated and lengthy process or simple solutions might be arranged if there really such an emergency fir some that just can't wait.  The US Embassy has already sent out STEP notifications to follow Thai government processes.

• Like 1