International Driving Permit (Open ?)

alyx

Hello 

I want have an international driving permit issued in Bangkok

I have tried to call their department but no reply

Does anyone know whether the Transportation Department in Morchit Bangkok is open ?

Thanks

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

The DLT website states that all services related to driving licence are suspended until the end of the emergency decree. 

So... Its not looking good - that said, the announcement states ‘from March 2020’ and there have been reports on this forum of people receiving new licences since March of last year.

Thus, if you have a 5 Year driving licence, and not a 2 Year Temp licence the only option I see is to go down to DLT Mor Chit and try. As with a lot of these things, it depends how and to whom you plead your case. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The DLT website states that all services related to driving licence are suspended until the end of the emergency decree. 

So... Its not looking good - that said, the announcement states ‘from March 2020’ and there have been reports on this forum of people receiving new licences since March of last year.

Thus, if you have a 5 Year driving licence, and not a 2 Year Temp licence the only option I see is to go down to DLT Mor Chit and try. As with a lot of these things, it depends how and to whom you plead your case. 

Thanks . I am aware of it hence my question in case someone had been there 

8 hours ago, alyx said:

Thanks . I am aware of it hence my question in case someone had been there 

I’m sure somebody has... its just a matter of keeping the thread exposed so that such a person with recent experience of visiting the DLT in Morchit (or even the one opposite Sukhumvit 62) has a chance to read and reply. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m sure somebody has... its just a matter of keeping the thread exposed so that such a person with recent experience of visiting the DLT in Morchit (or even the one opposite Sukhumvit 62) has a chance to read and reply. 

Quite right 

let's keep our fingers crossed

Thanks 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Funny how they update their websites NOT!

Of course they were open sometime from March 2020 to now.

But currently there are services suspended.

The offices are NOT closed (that's for sure).

Sorry I am not up-to-date but such a simple bureaucratic procedure (no test, so sit in) should be possible.

Granddaughter proudly presents her new car DL, issued 11 May 2021.

Before questions arise: issued through a driving school.

Visit at DLT just for taking picture and print license.

S__12197891.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

But currently there are services suspended.

I again checked their Facebook page.

And clearly the offices are open for services that do not require test, tutoring, sitting in rooms together (tax payment, car registration and the like).

No new Thai DLs can be issued.

For Thai people there is possibility to extend their DLs by doing some online e-learning course (seemingly not available for foreigners).

Issuing an IDP based on your 5 year Thai DL is a simple formal procedure (identifying, application, pay and receive on the spot or by postal mail).

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I again checked their Facebook page.

And clearly the offices are open for services that do not require test, tutoring, sitting in rooms together (tax payment, car registration and the like).

No new Thai DLs can be issued.

For Thai people there is possibility to extend their DLs by doing some online e-learning course (seemingly not available for foreigners).

Issuing an IDP based on your 5 year Thai DL is a simple formal procedure (identifying, application, pay and receive on the spot or by postal mail).

Thank you for this precious information 

i will go there this coming week ( hoping for a 3 year IDP) and if it is closed it will be fine as I didn’t want to go there with a feeling that they were closed

thanks again ( congratulations to your granddaughter)

have a great week 

thanks also to @richard_smith237who made me keep this thread “alive”

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, alyx said:

Thank you for this precious information 

i will go there this coming week ( hoping for a 3 year IDP) and if it is closed it will be fine as I didn’t want to go there with a feeling that they were closed

thanks again ( congratulations to your granddaughter)

have a great week 

thanks also to @richard_smith237who made me keep this thread “alive”

Pls post back the results. I'm planning to go to the one opposite Suk 62 later this week for a IDP - 3 years would be great, but would accept 1 year if it's available.

Just now, Misty said:

Pls post back the results. I'm planning to go to the one opposite Suk 62 later this week for a IDP - 3 years would be great, but would accept 1 year if it's available.

Of course 

I am waiting for the certificate of residence issued by my embassy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alyx said:

i will go there this coming week ( hoping for a 3 year IDP)

Looking forward to your report.

The three year IDP (1968 convention) has been introduced just shortly in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks. Very useful report!

So you have the choice between the one year (1949 convention) and the three year (1968 convention) IDP.

Kind of strange that they issue two IDPs for car and motorcycle while other countries will stamp both categories in one document.

But who cares.

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

one year in Canada

Thanks: that would be the same case in Thailand but the point is to get a 3 year IDP in Thailand: one IDP per category

22 hours ago, alyx said:

Hey 

I am currently at the department of land transportation at Morchit and it is fully operational.

i did a 3 year driving permit at 505 Baht but please note that one needs to have a different driving permit per each category ( in my case one for the car and one for the motorcycle) 

The one year driving permit is still proposed and that is 505 Baht for all categories ( as usual ) 

have a great day 

9706ED9A-C74E-4AA6-9175-E2196A32435F.jpeg

ECAA0A02-C4ED-4056-90DF-12C9F3637AF1.jpeg

C05DFD94-06B4-45B0-9406-82068BF2BAA8.jpeg

C44C5BB0-CD0C-48D0-AAB6-8441C7DE5E36.jpeg

Thank you - I'm going to the office opposite Suk 62/1 this morning.  That's interesting about getting two separate permits for driving and motorcycling -- just checking my last international license from Thailand received several years ago - at that time they stamped both in one.

Will post back how it goes.

15 minutes ago, Misty said:

Thank you - I'm going to the office opposite Suk 62/1 this morning.  That's interesting about getting two separate permits for driving and motorcycling -- just checking my last international license from Thailand received several years ago - at that time they stamped both in one.

Will post back how it goes.

2 sets of photocopies - and required documents  4 x 2 inch pictures and 1010 baht ( they are still doing one year with all categories in the book )

1 hour ago, alyx said:

2 sets of photocopies - and required documents  4 x 2 inch pictures and 1010 baht ( they are still doing one year with all categories in the book )

This had to be a new record for that DLT office (across from Suk 62/2) - I was in and out within 15 minutes with a new 1 year international license. It was Bt505 and they stamped both driving and motorcycling inside the same one - so whether they give you two separate ones or two stamps in one must be an office specific thing.  I prepared in advance: - signed copies of passport, work permit, and two Thai licenses, plus two photos.  They kept one photo and used one for the license.

Just now, Misty said:

This had to be a new record for that DLT office (across from Suk 62/2) - I was in and out within 15 minutes with a new 1 year international license. It was Bt505 and they stamped both driving and motorcycling inside the same one - so whether they give you two separate ones or two stamps in one must be an office specific thing.  I prepared in advance: - signed copies of passport, work permit, and two Thai licenses, plus two photos.  They kept one photo and used one for the license.

Forgot to add:  they DLT ground floor was maybe 1/4 - 1/3 full, and it looked like they were doing the physical exams and showing the video inside.  There was an additional waiting area outside presumably for overflow, but only a few people were in it

On 5/20/2021 at 10:36 AM, Misty said:

Forgot to add:  they DLT ground floor was maybe 1/4 - 1/3 full, and it looked like they were doing the physical exams and showing the video inside.  There was an additional waiting area outside presumably for overflow, but only a few people were in it

That's really surprising particularly for "dark red" Bangkok.

Update on the land of transport: although my report stated that this administration is up and running, I must admit it is only for a few services like the Driving Permit I got last week.

Trusting my experience, one of my friend went to Morchit in order to renew his 5 year driving license.

He was turn away as the video rooms, where the applicants must sit for an hour or so watching the Land of Transport video, are closed.

Therefore no renewal until 30 of June at the earliest as stated on the picture taken on site PHOTO-2021-05-27-14-56-24.jpg

• Thanks 2