How do the current 60 day covid extensions work?

Hello everyone, a few questions about the current covid extension (assuming they continue to be offered) if anyone would be so kind:

• Can you switch to them from any visa inside Thailand?

• Do you have to wait until your visa expires?

• Are there any circumstances/visas where they won't allow a change to covid extension?

• Can you change from a covid extension onto another visa (e.g. non-b), or is it still the case that you will have to leave Thailand to change visas?

Many thanks.

Edited by BangkokReady

You can apply for a covid 19 extension (it is not a visa) with any type of visa entry or the extension of it.

Your visa issued by a embassy or consulate does not have to be expired to apply for any extension of stay.

You can apply for the extension during the last 2 weeks of your current permit to stay.

You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration if you entered on a tourist visa or got a visa exempt entry that has been extended.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration if you entered on a tourist visa or got a visa exempt entry that has been extended.

So say someone had switched from visa amnesty to another visa/extension, they wouldn't be able to use the covid extension to move onto a non-b?

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So say someone had switched from visa amnesty to another visa/extension, they wouldn't be able to use the covid extension to move onto a non-b?

Visa applications and extension applications done at immigration are 2 completely different things.

There has not been a amnesty for when a permit to stay (it is not a visa) ended for some time now. They started doing the 60 day covid 19 extensions after the amnesty ended.

If a person entered the country with a non immigrant visa of some kind and had extended the 90 day entry from it they could possibley apply for a extension of stay based upon working (it is not a non-b visa).

You could apply for a 90 day non-b entry at immigration based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon working or teaching if you entered on a tourist visa or visa exempt and had gotten a a 60 day covid 19 extension.

24 minutes ago, Baricello said:

ubonjoe, What is the 90 day non immigrant visa enfry you're referring to, at the end of your first reply to this Topic?

It can be done if you can qualify for certain extensions of stay. It is a change to a non immigrant visa that will allow a 90 day permit to stay.

There is a partial list of them here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

Edit: A complete list in Thai is here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/change_visa/

Edited by ubonjoe

ubonjoe, I have checked on the links you kindly provided, and it appears I might qualify as a person who supports a Thai citizen, namely my ten year old daughter!

I cannot however find the necessary document requirements, other than the TM forms and Passport information!

Can you please advise.

28 minutes ago, Baricello said:

ubonjoe, I have checked on the links you kindly provided, and it appears I might qualify as a person who supports a Thai citizen, namely my ten year old daughter!

I cannot however find the necessary document requirements, other than the TM forms and Passport information!

Can you please advise.

This is the requirement for the non-o visa or being the parent of a Thai.

https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/07.pdf

You must be the legal father of you child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood that can be done at a Amphoe since she if over 6 years old.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day your apply.

After getting the non-o visa you could then apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa.

I lost my job due to covid cutbacks. I've been on 2 month covid extensions for the past 6 months. Now finally I got a job offer so I went to immigration and said can I apply for a non B visa. They said no problem provided you have 2 weeks left on you present extension. I do. I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Andrew45 said:

I lost my job due to covid cutbacks. I've been on 2 month covid extensions for the past 6 months. Now finally I got a job offer so I went to immigration and said can I apply for a non B visa. They said no problem provided you have 2 weeks left on you present extension. I do. I hope this helps.

That's really interesting.  I saw on Richard Barrow's twitter that he's going from a covid extension to a non-b, eventually, as he accidentally let his work permit expire and that cancelled his visa.

But it could be the case that you can only do that if you went from a non-b onto the covid extension, which is not what I would be coming from.

Certainly worthy of further investigation.

Do you know if they will still expect a recent criminal record check from your home country when you make your new application?

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

That's really interesting.  I saw on Richard Barrow's twitter that he's going from a covid extension to a non-b, eventually, as he accidentally let his work permit expire and that cancelled his visa.

He would be applying for a new extension of stay based upon working not a non-b visa. He could not apply for a non-b visa at immigration since he entered on on some time ago.

Just the typical confusion caused by calling a extension of stay a visa.

You situation is different since you entered on a tourist visa and would be applying to a 90 day non-b visa entry based upon working.

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you know if they will still expect a recent criminal record check from your home country when you make your new application?

No

On 5/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, BangkokReady said:

But it could be the case that you can only do that if you went from a non-b onto the covid extension, which is not what I would be coming from.

Certainly worthy of further investigation.

They just asked me for the criminal check in Bangkok which will be posted to the school. Cannot collect yourself as before. Takes 3 weeks.

40 minutes ago, Andrew45 said:

They just asked me for the criminal check in Bangkok which will be posted to the school. Cannot collect yourself as before.

That would be a Thai police clearance certificate.

He was asking about one from his home country and he may be applying to work for a company not as a teacher.

Some immigration offices will let you do the covid 60 day extension up to 1 month before your expiry of permission to stay,  it's best to ring up the office where you intend to extend first and ask them before hand as their rules very from office to office.

The time before last, I was asked a for copy of the housemasters ID card and their housebook. God knows why when they already have those details already on their TM30 system.  It doesn't hurt carrying a copy of those documents too just incase.

Edited by Almudena