Strange and surprising YOUTUBE channels that you subscribe to

My favourite channel is The Royal Institution.  Along with physical exercise each day, I like to get a mental workout too, and this is one of the resources I use.  Lectures and demonstrations by some of the world's leading experts in their fields.  This is from the home page, showing the most recent talks, and some of the topics on record:

image.png.45547a9ecdc08b94ce5874ce050cf3c3.png

Because of the multiple presenters / subjects it's hard to give one video example, but here's a favourite of mine giving one of his typically explosive chemistry talks.  No real mental workout here, just a lot of fun:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, timendres said:

It is a good thread. YouTube's recommendations are quite narrow. Hoping we get dozens of pages to skim for those times we would like some fresh content ideas.

I think it depends a lot on what we search in YouTube. Then maybe after we found our favorite channel about [whatever you like] then YouTube will recommend similar videos. And maybe we will find another favorite channel or two. Most of the channels which I watch regularly are about things I searched for - not just "the algorithm". 

Channel: Marshall Powell 

Boy wonder Gringo unleashed.

My how he's grown!

On the way to Latin American travel vlog super stardom.

Before  2017

Cheap Charly

Now 2021

Making friends 

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, timendres said:

Channel: Serpentza

This guy spent over 10 years in China, and reports some very interesting insights. He has ridden his motorcycle all over the country and has seen things few foreigners ever see. Married to a Chinese doctor. You know he is reporting serious stuff, since the CCP has spent serious effort attacking his efforts.

Yeah watched him several times before. I think he just got out in time and then was doing pod casts with his close friend who got out as well. He talked about Chinese authorities always coming to his apartment at all hours of the night to inspect his credentials and stuff. I like how he calls it, and he loves the country but not the communist government and literally can never go back ever again. 

Edited by holy cow cm

Here are two that are podcasts on YOUTUBE that only have audio but no video.

But really just another way to listen to podcasts but as they're on YOUTUBE I still think they fit here.

First is the very very famous podcast of Marc Maron. So famous that he got President Obama to visit him in his garage.

Channel: <deleted> with Marc Maron Podcast

Channel: Al Franken

Former U.S. Senator and comedian hosts guests to talk politics

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

More from the AwakenwithJP channel

Airalee,

I appreciate your participation in this topic but this is now the THIRD post here with sample videos from that same channel.

That is not the idea of this topic at all. The idea is to recommend entire channels and then to post a sample video from that channel or maybe two on the recommending post.

For example I love Randy Rainbow but I'm not going to keep posting his new videos. Instead readers can go to YOUTUBE If a sample video from a channel appeals to them and subscribe to it on their account.

Thanks for your attention. Cheers.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Airalee,

I appreciate your participation in this topic but this is now the THIRD post here with sample videos from that same channel.

That is not the idea of this topic at all. The idea is to recommend entire channels and then to post a sample video from that channel or maybe two on the recommending post.

For example I love Randy Rainbow but I'm not going to keep posting his new videos. Instead readers can go to YOUTUBE If a sample video from a channel appeals to them and subscribe to it on their account.

Thanks for your attention. Cheers.

There is no need to berate me.  I will humbly back out of your thread.  That being said...

• Sad 1

On 5/13/2021 at 7:30 PM, ballpoint said:

I like to get a mental workout too

I get my daily mental workout from the "Cracking the Cryptic" YT channel... 

2 new videos everyday usually featuring Sudoko style puzzles though they sometimes do  Cryptic Crosswords & other logic puzzles... 

One great feature of the channel is they include a link to a Webapp that allows you to (try to) solve the puzzle... e.g. you can try the puzzle in the video below by going to https://app.crackingthecryptic.com/sudoku/gFgtmMjPRm

• Like 1