Thai Corrections Dept. confident it can control Covid-19 spread as 2,835 prisoners infected

webfact

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

The department said, however, that it has imposed proactive and preventive measures, including the isolation of new arrivals for at least 21 days, during which they are subjected to two tests before they are moved into cells with other prisoners.

21 days ? Seems a little extreme 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Corrections Department has reported a total of 2,835 COVID-19 infections among inmates in prisons across the country, but it is confident that the situation is under control.

Doesn't really look like it ??

• Like 2

6 hours ago, timendres said:

The only hope of "controlling" this situation is vaccination.

Apparently Thailand isn't going down the "controlling road" but going for the natural herd immunity approach except for a few Hihoes sorry I spelt HiSos wrong again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The real question that needs to asked, is how the Virus entered the prisons.

There are 3 main pathways that the Virus could have entered.

1) The prisoners themselves being infected and passing it around upon their entrance to the prison.

Highly unlikely, as the Correction Dept states that each prisoner has to undergo a 21 Day Quarantine. Unless of course this practice is not being done efficiently.

2) Transmission by Visitors

Most unlikely as the Visitors have been stopped from entering Prisons for some time now.

3) From the Prison Staff such as Guards , Admin Etc.

These people are the ones free to come and go each and every Day for their work, potentially bring in the Virus with every shift they work.

This is the most likely cause of the Prison outbreaks due to lack of control / training with Sanitation, work practices Etc

And yet, there are non of these people mentioned as being Infected.

Very strange that only the Prisoners are affected by the Virus.

I have done a couple of visits to prison as a visitor in Thailand, they were behind glass panels with iron bars across and that wasn't high security

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im amazed there hasn't been a few outbreaks before this, throwing 50 in a cell,

Fifty in a cell???????????? When i got locked up in Buriram prison, there were 103 others in that 1 cell.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Fifty in a cell???????????? When i got locked up in Buriram prison, there were 103 others in that 1 cell.

A guy I know lay next to a dead body for 3 days in CM prison

• Like 1
  • Sad 1