Thai court clears Finnwatch human rights researcher Andy Hall of all charges

webfact

5 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

why not throw human rights group a bone, since he done a runner anyways

Can’t say I would have blamed him. Doing the right thing can be seriously harmful your health. 

However in this case he left after the Supreme Court had dismissed the criminal charges against him. 

https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/en/case/criminal-civil-cases-against-andy-hall

He still faced the danger that the harassment would continue and left to avoid this. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

Yes, you're right. Better to do nothing at all, sweep it under the carpet and just hope that it magically fixes itself, correct? That's the true path of righteousness.

Wow some people surely  get in a  big  huff don't  they. I am ASKING if there  has been any changes.

26 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Wow some people surely  get in a  big  huff don't  they. I am ASKING if there  has been any changes.

Oh, sorry, looked to me like a snarky comment. 

No, there have not been any changes. Check back again in 25 years, likely to be the same.

41 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

He is a hero and the world should be banning this product until the wrongs are right through human rights watch.

All of us living in Thailand benefit everyday from the Thai migrant labour laws.

The houses we live in, the food we eat, the transport, the transport we use, the malls we shop in etc.

Calls to ban these products will just end up costing the workers their jobs that are not available in their own third world countries. 

It won't affect the very rich owners lifestyles one bit.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  wonder has this  actually  done  anything for migrant workers  rights  in Thailand?

Yes, it's highlighted the issue abroad, the required first step.

How else are you going to go about it as an outsider?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

How about clearing two Burmese lads on death row of all charges????

Same legal team as Andy, and personally speaking if they could not get the kids off then no one can. They were railroaded. Travesty of justice at best. Would love to know who was pulling the strings as in how high up for face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

You obviously have internet. Feel free to research.

You're pretending to ask a reasonable question when you're really undermining the work of those who wish to change things for the better long term. Move right along then, nothing for you to see here.

You're "we've all profited from the Thai labour laws..." comment tries to make everyone complicit when in fact expats have zero say in this matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reduce profits by paying a living wage, provide adequate housing, pay cost of quarantine and then more Thais would get jobs, infection rates would reduce and the consumer would pay the correct price for the product be it pineapples or fish. Whilst your about it reduce the prison population density by building more prisons and reducing the profit from enormously overcrowded prisons. IE make the top 1pc of Thai Society meet the true cost of their greed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Anyone that tries to expose anything unsavoury here that affects the ruling classes and corrupt officialdom will have to do a runner sooner or later. Journalists, human rights activists, etc. They will either kill you or lock you up. They don't like locals or foreigners airing their dirty laundry in public. 

Yep. Easy to disappear or be hurt or killed, and the funny thing would be there would be no CC tv working anywhere and so they could not find the perpetrators. Anyway, Andy fled for his safety as fast as he could and it was all under secret hush hush to airport and out. I do know a little bit about this and his defending team.. 

• Like 1