Britons living abroad for more than 15 years to be given right to vote

webfact

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think most of us would much rather have our pension increases.

There, I've said it!

Are there pension increases in-country that you don't get if you're living overseas, or is the problem pension increases, in general?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This.

It's actually worse than that because if you live in some countries you DO get the increases, Thailand is one where you do not. 

Ah. Now I get (and agree with) the gripe. You're right. That's worse. Thanks for the feedback.

17 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I have not lived in England since 1978 and am I interested in voting there...........NOPE

If they really want to give us something, As Crossy says sort out the discrimination with the pensions.

Would you still cadge a pension after not living there for over forty years? ????

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would you still cadge a pension after not living there for over forty years? ????

Well as a minimum you would have to have had 10 qualifying years. So starting work in 1968 or before would thus make it possible, albeit at a reduced rate.

• Like 1

The way I see it is, having the vote gives us expats leverage to get the government to change the rules which affect us such as pensions. If people here don't give a toss about their vote but they care about their pensions then they are missing the point of having the vote! Don't you  wonder why politicians don't give a toss about you or your pension. You are not their constituent. It ain't rocket science!

• Like 2

Well, if you had the right to vote in your country of residence, I guess it would make some sense, why should a person have two votes. Failing that, I don't see the problem. The pensions frozen thing is a different problem entirely. it's economic. You want your pensioners spending their money at home, not swanning off to some destination that gives them geographic arbitrage. It is public money, after all, the State Pension, that is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Also bear in mind, you might have self exiled due to the state of the government. We had 15 years of tories so not really much choice but to stay away then until things changed. Honestly speaking though, it was Blair and his rights removing government who took away my vote. Not as if we have any voting rights here is it? Being disenfranchised is not democratic and if knowledge of current affairs in Blighty is the excuse, then sorry, they should take away the vote of all those idiotic working class tories who are exploited by Murdoch and co. They obviously don't vote in their self interest so one can only assume they shouldn't be given the right to vote!

I hope this includes being able to vote in the Scottish poll to separate/stay in the Union.  I am Scots by birth and educated in Scotland.  I served in the Armed Forces and then the MOD as a Civil Servant and all my pensions are tied up to those employments and don't want the "Poison Dwarf" bankrupting Scotland and loosing my pensions.  Has anyone read how as a Solicitor she was found Guilty of three issues?  Failing to take out a Protection Order for a Woman being harassed, failing to submit her legal aid application and then lying about it.  She was found Guilty on all three accounts, at which point she became a MP for the SNP.  She said she "forgot" about submitting the application.  Where have we heard that her defense in a subsequent legal case was "forgot" and also failed to protect members of her fellow gender.  Scotland.....Wake up.  She is a dubious conniving liar and you deserve a more honest and less self interested person to lead you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I hope this includes being able to vote in the Scottish poll to separate/stay in the Union.  I am Scots by birth and educated in Scotland.  I served in the Armed Forces and then the MOD as a Civil Servant and all my pensions are tied up to those employments and don't want the "Poison Dwarf" bankrupting Scotland and loosing my pensions.  Has anyone read how as a Solicitor she was found Guilty of three issues?  Failing to take out a Protection Order for a Woman being harassed, failing to submit her legal aid application and then lying about it.  She was found Guilty on all three accounts, at which point she became a MP for the SNP.  She said she "forgot" about submitting the application.  Where have we heard that her defense in a subsequent legal case was "forgot" and also failed to protect members of her fellow gender.  Scotland.....Wake up.  She is a dubious conniving liar and you deserve a more honest and less self interested person to lead you.

And yet she has just been returned as the First Minister of Scotland.

If the Holyrood elections were run the same as Westminster elections then Sturgeon and the SNP would have taken 88% of the seats in the Scottish parliament.

Seems many feel she is doing a good job after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Gives a chance for those Scots who want to vote 'leave'..

I am Scottish and pro independence but I feel it would be wrong for me to be voting in a referendum.

Its surely up to the people who actually live in Scotland to decide their own future.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nausea said:

Well, if you had the right to vote in your country of residence, I guess it would make some sense, why should a person have two votes. Failing that, I don't see the problem. The pensions frozen thing is a different problem entirely. it's economic. You want your pensioners spending their money at home, not swanning off to some destination that gives them geographic arbitrage. It is public money, after all, the State Pension, that is.

You mean by being in the UK we will be claiming a multitude of benefits and leaning on the National Health Service using public money that was contributed by the likes of me in taxes and National Insurance contributions. No. Those benefits go to many who contributed nothing. I didn't swan off. and never ponced off the government. I had a good reason. 

• Like 2