Britons living abroad for more than 15 years to be given right to vote

webfact

Actually there are other points beside pension, which I grant is the top issue if there was a vote on that, and that is having an MP to write to. A while back I received a general letter from the scientific institution that I subscribe to, asking members to write to their MP regarding a certain issue. Unfortunately the 15 year limit excluded me.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, tyga said:

The way I see it is, having the vote gives us expats leverage to get the government to change the rules which affect us such as pensions. If people here don't give a toss about their vote but they care about their pensions then they are missing the point of having the vote! Don't you  wonder why politicians don't give a toss about you or your pension. You are not their constituent. It ain't rocket science!

It's extremely unlikely voting would change that. Now, if all the expats returned en masse. Claimed their full pension, which they would get automatically. Claimed bus passes, winter and heating allowances in addition to all the other add on's, Fell upon the NHS, which would make the waiting periods for treatment much longer and add cost to the Service. The powers that be would realise that it would be more more economical to keep us out of the UK.  

• Like 2

While not being British (American living in Thailand) I feel that people should have the right to vote in their home country.  Government decisions do affect their citizens living in other countries.  

• Like 2

'No taxation  without  representation!' Yanks might remember  this? Having been in  Thailand for 8 yrs do I get a tax rebate? No because I  could vote. I didn't because I  cannot  vote in local elections and my vote was wasted on general elections  because I  am registered in a staunch Tory seat.  The only Vote that counted was the Brexit referendum  and we all note what  a mess that got us into. I won't get a vote in any independence referendum as I am English so in effect unless expats  are able to vote for their own representative (yes some countries  have this)  no progress will be made on frozen pensions. So thanks but no thanks Bozo! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And neither should you have to pay income tax to said country in that case, then, of course.

Of course.

I’ve always paid income tax according to the laws of the countries I’ve lived and worked in for the last 25 years. 

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I have not lived in England since 1978 and am I interested in voting there...........NOPE

If they really want to give us something, As Crossy says sort out the discrimination with the pensions.

Giving us the vote doesn't make it compulsory that we should vote. It gives the right to those who want to. Nothing wrong with that. Asking for the pension thing is a total waste of time as many, many years of campaigning including by the Daily Telegraph has and will achieve absolutely nothing. Giving us the right to vote costs nothing. Giving us our rightful pension increases doesn't, even if in the big picture it barely ripples the surface.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

While not being British (American living in Thailand) I feel that people should have the right to vote in their home country.  Government decisions do affect their citizens living in other countries.  

They also affect the family I still love and care about who live there ...

And maybe I might one day wish to return ... and hope that my vote or lobbying might make the place a slight bit better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Well, if you had the right to vote in your country of residence, I guess it would make some sense, why should a person have two votes. Failing that, I don't see the problem. The pensions frozen thing is a different problem entirely. it's economic. You want your pensioners spending their money at home, not swanning off to some destination that gives them geographic arbitrage. It is public money, after all, the State Pension, that is.

There are more than 1 argument to this as if you are no longer there you are also freeing up housing and the health service etc. The problem occurs when you develop something chronic or life threatening and scuttle back with your tail between your legs for the free health care. I'm all for pension increases no matter where you live, however there should be reciprocal health agreements in place, or you literally sign off the national health system and go with your chosen country. If it wasn't for family ties then it would be a damned good idea to ship all the oldies off to a nice warm country where the Government could maintain them at a much cheaper rate than the UK, they could even supply hospitals and carers at a much cheaper rate to the UK taxpayer..................and therein you have the main problem.................the good old labour government instituted the policy of spending pension contributions instead of investing them right from the getgo so its the current tax payers paying your pensions.........sad really. There are no "outside of the box" thinkers in the civil service either so the likelihood of them coming up with a retirement paradise is zero ????

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

A Tory promise that Brits living abroad for more than fifteen years will be allowed to vote.' What about- 'Brits living abroad will receive the same pensions as those living in the home country?' -We payed our dues and some served Queen and country. A country that was supposedly built on fairness, but in reality does not practice what it preaches. Unless you are one of the upper class privileged of course. A vote? What party would address the iniquity of expat pensions? I raised the question many years ago and Nigel Ben replied 'Its not on the Government's agenda.' It seems like it never will be. Vote? For what. Our years in uniform count for nothing. 

Why did you ask Nigel Benn, the well known World champion middleweight boxer?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think most of us would much rather have our pension increases.

There, I've said it!

I totally agree, I don't give a toss about voting but as a tax payer we should enjoy the same rights to our state pension as the rest and not be penalised because we choose to live outside the UK whilst subsidising through our tax contributions facilities we can't access.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

they get 40 quid a week emergency payments not listed as benefits, 3 star hotels, health care and phone access

I was randomly watching some UK news clip on youtube recently where they were talking about immigrants getting into the UK and it come up that the 40 quid a week benefit is being stopped. I think it was actually 37 or 38 quid by memory, to be pedantic.

I admire Harry Shindler's pluck and determination, but it's too late for me. The only thing I was interested in was Brexit and that's done and dusted. The rest I couldn't care less about.

26 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Why did you ask Nigel Benn, the well known World champion middleweight boxer?

Having a senior moment.???? Nick Clegg! Nigel Ben might have been a better bet. Clegg was as much use as a one legged man in an ar-sorry. mustn't say it, backside kicking contest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would you still cadge a pension after not living there for over forty years? ????

He would have paid taxes and National Insurance premiums (to pay for NHS and Pension) when he was there, therefore he should be entitled to something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

they get 40 quid a week emergency payments not listed as benefits, 3 star hotels, health care and phone access

To be clear about the nomenclature: you are referring to "Asylum Seekers", who may admittedly form a partial-overlap with the population of "Illegal Immigrants". 

Edited by andersonat

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Well as a minimum you would have to have had 10 qualifying years. So starting work in 1968 or before would thus make it possible, albeit at a reduced rate.

I get £50 a week,started work in 66 left in 77.living in the Netherlands I get the increase but I'm not sure how long that will last it's part of the withdrawal agreement.I would love to vote,being a life long labour voter and guardian reader with an annual Subscription! I might change the habit of a lifetime and vote green or libdem.Hopefully the greens,Lib-dems and labour will finally get their act together and stop dividing the opposition to the Tory's.One thing is for sure they will never get my vote.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adammike said:

I get £50 a week,started work in 66 left in 77.living in the Netherlands I get the increase but I'm not sure how long that will last it's part of the withdrawal agreement.I would love to vote,being a life long labour voter and guardian reader with an annual Subscription! I might change the habit of a lifetime and vote green or libdem.Hopefully the greens,Lib-dems and labour will finally get their act together and stop dividing the opposition to the Tory's.One thing is for sure they will never get my vote.

Well that's ok for 11 years work but hardly a living pension but guess you have others. As for being a Guardian reader I always wondered who that person was, now I know ???? Stopped voting when Screaming Lord Sutch died. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Use the vote strategically, find an MP who works tirelessly for expats to have their pensions upgraded annually and sell your vote/soul to them, I know I will ????

Where would you find one of those? Fairyland?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Where would you find one of those? Fairyland?

Personally I have no idea, but on different sites independent of TVF that I have visited they do exist & work extremely hard for the likes of yourself and me, I'm not going to spoon feed you links, Google is your friend, use it, rather than bash someone giving input to a valid and serious problem.

• Like 1