Pattaya police continue to crack down on “social” gatherings, mask-wearing, and public drinking

webfact

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

yes, the UK led the world in the genetic identification of strains - driven by the impetus of unnecessary rampant disease rates on an island that didn't know enough to close it's own doors..

Nah, they just have the best minds in the world working on this stuff.

And even they are guessing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

150,000 just in the UK where the massive concentration of infections allowed the UK strain to develop.

Which is now killing hundreds of thousands more and causing over 90% of infections here in Thailand.

127k actually not 150, quite a difference. The UK strain was first identfied back in Sept and had been brewing there when cases were averaging 1000 a day only. Facts always help rather than baseless outbursts full of nothing but hot air.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMo said:

Just don't break the rules to start with and there will be no fine

But the main complaint is the real rules are not known, they are made up on the spot by the police.

Baht 6,000 fines quoted on here for not wearing a mask on a motocy, when I know people that have been fined Baht 500.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scammed said:

<deleted> ? i get fined 5000 baht if i buy a beer from 7/11 ?

and do i get a 6000 baht fine if i drive a scooter without mask ?

Sorry to hear

Whether  agreed or not , these are rules to follow to contain the spread of the virus.

if you follow the rules, you do not have to worry about the fine amount.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Generally I don't think the police are heavy handed here, although they are of course corrupt and after money. But to deliberately cause them to lose face here is a risky game.  

Hence, they are perhaps suited to another profession if their face is hurt. Having worn a uniform and having my feelings/face hurt? What a laugh. Then again, training and the law dictated how I reacted to such things.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although I do not know what rule that breaks. Is there a ban on alcohol consumption in public?

Does there need to be a ban or law, if as an official you can just make up the rules on the spot as it pleases you?

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Hence, they are perhaps suited to another profession if their face is hurt. Having worn a uniform and having my feelings/face hurt? What a laugh. Then again, training and the law dictated how I reacted to such things.

You are not Thai nor in a position to appreciate how they feel,

8 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

This sounds fair to me. Unfortunately, the judgment will be that, "ignorance of the law is no defence"

Exactly stop your whinging and have a drink in your condo. What is your problem.

Police have initiated 3 interactions with me in the past week.  A Thai policeman has never initiated any contact with me over the course of 4 decades, excluding traffic road blocks.

The police were friendly, polite, cordial and did not fine me.

My activities were normal routine everyday  type things.  

While ordering takeaway coffee a police car drove up with sirens blazing speaking thai on a megaphone.  I didn't understand but locals said you have to go.  Luckily coffee had just arrived and been paid for.

While walking to the market a policeman on a motorbike pulled up to me, started the standard type police questioning, then pulled away when another more important call came in.

The third one was walking on the beach after going to the market, I ran into a friend and we were talking on the beach.  Again a policeman rode up on a motorbike and warned us.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think walking along the street drinking a beer is uncouthed so yes 5000 baht fine and also you wouldn't be wearing your mask if drinking a beer

Not if he uses a straw slipped up under the mask ????

2 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Police have initiated 3 interactions with me in the past week.  A Thai policeman has never initiated any contact with me over the course of 4 decades, excluding traffic road blocks.

The police were friendly, polite, cordial and did not fine me.

My activities were normal routine everyday  type things.  

While ordering takeaway coffee a police car drove up with sirens blazing speaking thai on a megaphone.  I didn't understand but locals said you have to go.  Luckily coffee had just arrived and been paid for.

While walking to the market a policeman on a motorbike pulled up to me, started the standard type police questioning, then pulled away when another more important call came in.

The third one was walking on the beach after going to the market, I ran into a friend and we were talking on the beach.  Again a policeman rode up on a motorbike and warned us.

Why would they stop you from buying take away coffee 

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But the main complaint is the real rules are not known, they are made up on the spot by the police.

Baht 6,000 fines quoted on here for not wearing a mask on a motocy, when I know people that have been fined Baht 500.

Somewhere else I read that it was up to the police what to charge because of the poor 

10 hours ago, thaisabai said:

another sample: (witnessed by a friend)

A mother, her son and his girlfriend stop their truck on Sukhumvit road to sell some fruit to overcome the covid situation.

My friend and his Thai wife stop to buy some fruit from them.

There comes the City police, 2 men in spotless shiny uniforms, boots well polished and fined the Thai family 500 baht (which they didn't have yet bc they were just starting selling).

My friend gave the family 500 Baht and pointed out to the police officers the many holes in the walkway, asking them if they need the money for repair of these?

No answer and they walked away.

Millions of Thais with no money, no work or on reduced salaries; can you blame them to try to get some extra income? But then there come the "important" members of the government trying to look important by denying poor Thais a survival.

My friend bought 3000 Baht worth of fruit from the Thai family after the incident and gave the fruit away in his neighborhood.

thaisabai

Good thing the cops didn't see that they would have gone back and increased the fine 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thaisabai said:

another sample: (witnessed by a friend)

A mother, her son and his girlfriend stop their truck on Sukhumvit road to sell some fruit to overcome the covid situation.

My friend and his Thai wife stop to buy some fruit from them.

There comes the City police, 2 men in spotless shiny uniforms, boots well polished and fined the Thai family 500 baht (which they didn't have yet bc they were just starting selling).

My friend gave the family 500 Baht and pointed out to the police officers the many holes in the walkway, asking them if they need the money for repair of these?

No answer and they walked away.

Millions of Thais with no money, no work or on reduced salaries; can you blame them to try to get some extra income? But then there come the "important" members of the government trying to look important by denying poor Thais a survival.

My friend bought 3000 Baht worth of fruit from the Thai family after the incident and gave the fruit away in his neighborhood.

thaisabai

Carts I've seen can't hold 3000 baht of fruit.

14 hours ago, RobMuir said:

150,000 just in the UK where the massive concentration of infections allowed the UK strain to develop.

Which is now killing hundreds of thousands more and causing over 90% of infections here in Thailand.

There have not been 150,000 deaths in the UK, and the current figure of 128,000 is generally acknowledged to be a sustantial over estimate, largely as a consequence of counting all deaths within 28 days of of a covid diagnosis as covid deaths (even if run over by a bus).

Also there is  no evidence is that the so called UK strain developed in the UK as a result of a concentration of infections there.  Rather it was identified in the UK as a consequence of world leading scientific skills in genome sequencing; in this case at Porton Down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaigirlwatcher said:

As of today in the United States those who are fully vaccinated can now go maskless indoors and outdoors per the CDC. 

The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and in congregate settings such as homeless shelters, as well as prisons or jails.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/13/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases#cdc-masks-guidance