Pattaya police continue to crack down on “social” gatherings, mask-wearing, and public drinking

webfact

23 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I think you might find that it is the result of a pandemic that is killing millions of people and now worse than ever in Thailand with the UK variant.

This OP also destroys the often repeated myth from many members that " the police only get money from farangs and not the Thais".

There is a serious pandemic occuring currently, please follow the guidelines and stop complaining.

Your last sentence may well be justified, but it would be helpful to all if the guidelines we clear and unambiguous. In my area there are different rules almost from street to street and depending upon the police officer who stops you. When and if, the rules are posted both in Thai and English and the police are clearly instructed as to their actions in given situations, then and only then can we mere mortals follow the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Your last sentence may well be justified, but it would be helpful to all if the guidelines we clear and unambiguous. In my area there are different rules almost from street to street and depending upon the police officer who stops you. When and if, the rules are posted both in Thai and English and the police are clearly instructed as to their actions in given situations, then and only then can we mere mortals follow the rules.

The rules ARE clear and unambiguous. Wear a mask whilst outdoors. Drinking a beer is not an excuse for not wearing a mask. Drinking water whilst static will likely be overlooked.

Once people stop acting like petulant children it might begin to make sense to them. Always looking for loopholes and then crying when their attempt to find a loophole fails.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:01 AM, Amdesign said:

Most of these 'fines' are illegal, even from Thia law. In developed countries the people will just refuse to pay 'fines' on site and ask police officers to file the cases to court...

Wrong!!! This fines are LEGAL!!! And YES, you have the right to refuse them and go to court. 

But I am sure you wait to next morning or longer in the monkeyhouse or must pay bail of minimum 20.000 THB. I am also sure that the court will confirm the fine. But this could then be 20,000 THB instead of 5,000 THB.

22 hours ago, smedly said:

totally agree, I have been unable to find any such rule except concerning beaches.

I suspect a challenge in court would see such a fine thrown in the bin

" Is there a ban on alcohol consumption in public?"  If there is not then there should be.

There should also be a ban on the  " big titties" brigade going shirtless in public.

19 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

not if you but it...its if you drink it..and yes masks to be worn on motor bikes don't want covid getting you speeding along at 90 km an hour now do we..

Wearing a mask and no helmet to me seemed very stupid, I saw my wife doing just that, and started laughing at her. She said she cannot be bothered taking her mask of and on every time she stopped for something, and the same would apply if she wore a helmet.

This seems sensible to me when you think about it, but it would be different if she was not just riding around our village/small town.

20 hours ago, Rolander said:

The China virus is ineffective against healthy people.

There is no asymptomatic transfer of the virus as well.

The old and unhealthy can take precautions , the rest of us must be free to live our lives.

Unfortunately Rob ,as in your case there's no cure for stupidity.

I see where you are coming from here, but is this Chinese virus really ineffective against healthy people? It would seem that you are partly right here when the vast majority of people who get it do recover after about three weeks.

There will always be exceptions here when you read reports about a certain person in their thirties or forties either dying from it or have developed seemingly permanent health problems, when it is said they had no previous health problems at all.

I understand people can have health problems with no, or very little symptoms. and catching this Chinese virus seriously  affects their future health.

19 hours ago, MrMo said:

As far as the "offences" are concerned, they all seem to be in breach of the regulations with perhaps the exception of two people on a balcony.   

As to the level of fines imposed, that is another matter.

Just don't break the rules to start with and there will be no fine.

What rules? Oh! You mean rules that are made up on the spot by police or IO officers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

The rules ARE clear and unambiguous. Wear a mask whilst outdoors. Drinking a beer is not an excuse for not wearing a mask. Drinking water whilst static will likely be overlooked.

Once people stop acting like petulant children it might begin to make sense to them. Always looking for loopholes and then crying when their attempt to find a loophole fails.

Then the rules should be followed and applied by the police correctly, not at their whim and fancy. But, i suppose the person who never made a mistake, never made anything.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, pattjock said:

Maybe if they made the current rules public it would be easier to follow them. I have looked everywhere for first hand information but have not found much and pretty much nothing in English.

How can you penalize people if you don't make the exact regulations public?

Yes i agree .this poor bloke was by himself .is it just alcohol u can't drink? When i go for a walk i always have mask  with me but obviously not waering when i drink my water so is that illegal  as well

On 5/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, Victornoir said:

In this period I left my hotel and settle in a large comfortable condo facing the sea.

XXL  home cine, full fridge and freezer, every evening sunset, a good homemade dish made with passion, the little woman languorous in the big bed, exposing her tempting body.

I have known worse.

Happy chapzpy in paradise ????????

1 hour ago, Gilltom said:

Yes i agree .this poor bloke was by himself .is it just alcohol u can't drink? When i go for a walk i always have mask  with me but obviously not waering when i drink my water so is that illegal  as well

Children....it takes seconds to remove mask, drink water, replace mask. Do you need to be told?

Clearly this person had their mask removed for a prolonged period because he is special. He thinks drinking beer exempts him from mask wearing. He knows now that it does not.

• Like 1

It's too late. 

The preverbial genie is out of the bottle.

There is no such thing as full quarantine. 

Mathematicslly imposdible.....   being extorted monetarily is not going to end, and Covid laws will replace the legalized corrupted society we all choose to live .... instead of big business and hospitality. 

They need the revenue from some where....

Speak Easy's will undoubtedly begin to pop up throughout the Kingdom 

5 hours ago, snowgard said:

Wrong!!! This fines are LEGAL!!! And YES, you have the right to refuse them and go to court. 

But I am sure you wait to next morning or longer in the monkeyhouse or must pay bail of minimum 20.000 THB. I am also sure that the court will confirm the fine. But this could then be 20,000 THB instead of 5,000 THB.

Quote it, if such law exists.

The only law is emergency decree. And speaks only about actions that create threats of infection. Other than that is just interpretations.

PS Yes of course they can place any foreigner in monkey house, but then the Embassy will get involved, with all power of media. I am sure they don't want such PR in internatioanl media, especially when they are trying to buy vaccines abroad.

9 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

PS Yes of course they can place any foreigner in monkey house, but then the Embassy will get involved, with all power of media. I am sure they don't want such PR in internatioanl media, especially when they are trying to buy vaccines abroad.

Sure hasn't stopped them putting about 14,000 foreigners in their jails!

5 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The rules ARE clear and unambiguous.

There could be many reasons to be outdoors without mask for some period of time, including but not limited to changing a mask, drinking water, taking a medicine, etc. All these 'rules' are nonsense if they are not based on common sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sure hasn't stopped them putting about 14,000 foreigners in their jails!

Well, if we talk about criminals, yes. And if we talk about arresting a foreigner for sitting on the beach with beer? And if they guy got infected with COVID in their monkey house? Will be great PR for Thailand, and probably the last day in service for the officer who did it, and for his boss.

Edited by Amdesign

1 minute ago, Amdesign said:

There could be many reasons to be outdoors without mask for some period of time, including but not limited to changing a mask, drinking water, taking a medicine, etc. All these 'rules' are nonsense if they are not based on common sense.

None of those things were happening with a beer in his hand.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:55 AM, scammed said:

<deleted> ? i get fined 5000 baht if i buy a beer from 7/11 ?

and do i get a 6000 baht fine if i drive a scooter without mask ?

Only applies to foreigners. Where I live Every night 10-15 Thais aged 20 to 40 are partying . drinking, shouting, smoking (weed) usually ends up arguing and fighting amongst themselves. Police?????? Drive straight past.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

So are all these 'excuses'.......

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

If this happens to me, I would immidiately say 'I took off the mask to call ambulance!' Then take the hospital card and start dialling...

What a crock!

• Haha 1