Thailand reports 4,887 COVID-19 cases, 32 new deaths 

webfact

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Missed that bit about spreading it in the home community, was that bit on the poster?

I saw the bit that said people should stay at home, I would take that as all the people in the house no?

You also missed the bit about what happens to people who live in shared living arrangements and cannot isolate from them. What happens if that elusive community pro active testing van fails to turn up especially if they are unaware of a local outbreak as nobody has been tested and are at home.

But hey if you want to follow the new advice given, ie if you think you have the virus but show no symptoms then sure, do not go to hospital, do not take a test, instead stay at home, work from home and wait for a community pro active testing unit to appear near you before taking a test. 

Go ahead, its the government advice.

We can't argue with the government so I won't argue with you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

Why would you hope for such lack of action?

Selfishly: Because I have would like the freedom to assume the risk/reward tradeoff to live as normal a life as possible, and also because I have a major exam to write in late May that I don't want cancelled (postponed twice in 2020 already because of Covid).

Unselfishly: Because I believe that stricter regulations than these would be an overreaction at this time. The spike in cases in Thailand's prisons is at minimal risk of causing a massive surge outside the system, and new case counts excluding prison cases have been broadly stable. The damage to the livelihoods and well beings of ordinary folks would not necessarily be best served by a stricter lockdown based on the information that we have at this time.

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you will find that was the standard instruction from western governments.

It is good to see such a practical approach rather than hauling in asymptomatic positive cases.

Hospitals are for sick people.

We are in Thailand, if they prefer now not to test people who think they have the virus but show no symptoms then so be it, I wonder why they have a policy of hospitalizing all confirmed case then? 

Must want to save on beds and positive case counts I guess.

Had we been in the west I also agree on the advice but we are not.

• Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You also missed the bit about what happens to people who live in shared living arrangements and cannot isolate from them. What happens if that elusive community pro active testing van fails to turn up especially if they are unaware of a local outbreak as nobody has been tested and are at home.

But hey if you want to follow the new advice given, ie if you think you have the virus but show no symptoms then sure, do not go to hospital, do not take a test, instead stay at home, work from home and wait for a community pro active testing unit to appear near you before taking a test. 

Go ahead, its the government advice.

We can't argue with the government so I won't argue with you.

Would you prefer someone who thinks they have Covid to get out there in the community? How do you suggest they get to the hospital? Take a taxi, jump on the bus, risk infecting someone else and asking for a lift? Then when they get there, risk infecting more staff on arrival?

Or staying at home, getting a test from a community testing unit in controlled conditions and following the correct health advice from there on and keeping the risk of infection to a minimum?

Just now, sungod said:

Would you prefer someone who thinks they have Covid to get out there in the community? How do you suggest they get to the hospital? Take a taxi, jump on the bus, risk infecting someone else and asking for a lift? Then when they get there, risk infecting more staff on arrival?

Or staying at home, getting a test from a community testing unit in controlled conditions and following the correct health advice from there on and keeping the risk of infection to a minimum?

You missed my last two sentences:

"Go ahead, its the government advice."

"We can't argue with the government so I won't argue with you."

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"the situation is under control"

I seem to remember our PM using exactly the same words a couple of months ago when the daily infections were in the teens/ hundreds rather than thousands!

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"the situation is under control"

I seem to remember our PM using exactly the same words a couple of months ago when the daily infections were in the teens/ hundreds rather than thousands!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I never knew that prisoners were the only ones in prisons. I always was under the assumption there were people called guards and also other personnel. These could easily catch it too and spread it. Do you really think they would not get it.

I'm sure they know after over a year to wear a ???? and keep 2m distance (which they probably do anyway (you know, shives and the like). Do you know of any outbreaks among prison guards or administrators? 

• Thanks 1

Endgame. Whose endgame?

Intensifying vaccination drama in Thailand is taking place against an intriguing international backdrop featuring an apparent race between the West on one side and a Chinese-Russian alliance on the other to pump vaccines into the third world, which is being threatened seriously by COVID-19 at the moment.

Call it a subplot in the main theme if you will. Thailand is caught in a peculiar situation where Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is baring his arm in public, like American and other world leaders, to receive a jab and encourage hesitant but high-risk people to get vaccinated in the process whereas the country is still far from getting enough supplies for the entire population.

Prayut and the Public Health Ministry are virtually begging people deemed eligible by great risk factors _ old ages and diseases that make them susceptible to the virus _ to register for vaccination. At the same time, a lot of Thais are waiting for vaccines with more and more scare and less and less patience. Through all this, the parliamentary opposition and the anti-establishment movement have been drumming up criticism against what they dub ineffective vaccine management to add to their uproar over other issues. Female protest leader Panusaya Sithijirawattanakul has been infected, and while it remains unclear as to where and how, the number of cases in prisons nationwide have become hair-raising.

Read more:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/endgame-whose-endgame/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm sure they know after over a year to wear a ???? and keep 2m distance (which they probably do anyway (you know, shives and the like). Do you know of any outbreaks among prison guards or administrators? 

Maybe contained within the 2,800 cases confirmed today? If not then we will have to trust the government on this one that there just happens to be absolutely none....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I honestly hope so.

I've been banging the drum since Songkran that they just need to have a full hard lock-down & strict curfews as it was only inevitable that cases would keep rising. 

Now please just implement them right now before Thailand becomes like  India

I've got my wine, I've got my bagels, I've got my internet connection.

Lock this mother down! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-revenue-dept-denies-imported-covid-19-vaccines-are-double-taxed/

Thai Revenue Dept. denies imported COVID-19 vaccines are double taxed

Thailand’s Revenue Department has refuted an allegation that it will levy double taxation on COVID-19 vaccines imported by the private sector, resulting in higher charges for inoculations.

Sommai Siriudomset, spokesperson for the Revenue Department and tax collection strategic advisor, confirmed today (Thursday) that the double taxation allegation is misleading and inaccurate.

She said that only 7% tax or VAT is charged, not 14%, as widely misunderstood, adding that importers are also eligible to have their VAT refunded or deduct it from their sales tax.

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

I've got my wine, I've got my bagels, I've got my internet connection.

Lock this mother down! ???? 

You forgot that you have your ThaiVisa membership. Life can be so good.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

News headlines. Almost 3000 prisoners and officials.

• Like 2

the number of cases are still probably under reported, probably not enough tests being done

here in Europe we are cruising and doing great with 20,000 cases a day ????

Virus spreading nicely, making sure everyone has it before ending its natural course ????

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You missed my last two sentences:

"Go ahead, its the government advice."

"We can't argue with the government so I won't argue with you."

You seem to argue with the governments advice most days.........why not now?

So, in your opinion then;

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand’s Total COVID Case Count Now Exceeds That of China?

Statistics Used by the Government Say Yes, Reality Says Likely No

Famous American author Mark Twain once made the now well-known observation – “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.”

That’s probably an aphorism worth remembering today with the news, depending which source is used, that Thailand’s official tally of total COVID cases, now at 93,794, has either surpassed or soon will surpass the comparable official cumulative COVID case total from China.

If it seems too improbable to be true that Thailand, a smaller country of only 70 million people, would somehow exceed the total COVID case count of China, the world’s most populous country with 1.4 billion people where the pandemic began, that’s probably because in all likelihood despite the statistics, it’s simply not true.

Even so, several widely quoted gatherers of officially reported COVID statistics tell a different story. The U.S. tracking company Worldometer as of Wednesday had China with 90,799 cumulative COVID cases, a total Thailand far surpassed with the 4,887 new cases reported Thursday to reach a total of 93,794.

Worldometer happens to be the outside source the Thai government uses for its own publicly issued reports of how the country is faring with COVID cases compared to other world countries. Prior to Thursday’s update, Worldometer had China and Thailand ranked 96th and 98th, respectively, among 200+ countries worldwide for total COVID cases.

Meanwhile, the more widely cited Johns Hopkins University of Medicine in the U.S. has its stats for the two countries that suggest Thailand is less than a week away from equaling or surpassing China. That’s because Johns Hopkins has a higher tally of nearly 103,000 total cases for China compared to Worldometer.

In real life, the two countries present an odd and usual contrast in COVID experiences. China became the poster country for COVID after getting hit hard at the outset and then apparently recovering. Thailand, on the other hand, was largely regarded as an almost miracle country for largely avoiding COVID, until a major outbreak began last month and is continuing now.

As for the comparative statistics, researchers have long maintained that China’s official stats on COVID cases and deaths have likely been massively undercounted, in part due to government suppression and also to the public chaos that hit China and especially Wuhan at the start of the pandemic.

“Nobody believes China’s numbers,” said one researcher as quoted in the U.S. news outlet Time last year. Varying estimates have suggested that China’s real toll of COVID cases since the beginning could be anywhere from three to ten times higher than the official numbers.

Unlike last year in Wuhan China, there’s no indication that crematoriums in Thailand are running around the clock to dispose of dead bodies, nor have there been public spectacles of masses of sick people overrunning Thai hospitals, though available hospital beds in Bangkok lately have been increasingly hard to find.

Whereas China’s official COVID case counts exploded in early 2020 and then quickly dropped off and have remained low, Thailand went through most of last year with comparatively few cases and deaths until a so-called third wave outbreak hit at the beginning of last month.

Just since April 1, Thailand has officially recorded more than 60,000 of its 90,000-plus COVID cases and 392 of its 486 deaths through Wednesday. While China lately has been reporting about a dozen new cases per day, according to Worldometer, Thailand lately has been averaging about 2,000 cases per day.

Even with that, there are some locals who wonder whether Thailand too has been failing to identify and record all of its COVID cases due the lack of a widespread, nationwide testing program and other impediments. Thus, what largely remains to track the COVID pandemic in Thailand are…the statistics.

As reported above, Thailand today officially passed China in terms of total COVID cases reported since the start of the pandemic -- at least according to the Thai government/MoPH's own publicly issued reports, as follows with today's update. Thailand now ranks 95th among 200+ world countries in total COVID cases.

05-13-21i.jpg.01634b484754994a6a374d06f4ac7c6f.jpg

05-13-21h.jpg.c210b646b4fdf5629753c59a7aaabc38.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/324182682533396/

To jab or not to jab? Here’s why the answer should always be yes

To get vaccinated or not to get vaccinated is a question many Thais are still asking themselves, even as the COVID death toll rises each day.

Deciding whether to get the jab becomes even more difficult when information is unavailable or confusing.

Hence, medical experts from three medical universities have stepped forward to share their knowledge on available COVID-19 vaccines, so Thais can make an informed decision. Below is a summary of their interview on the Rama Channel

Read more:.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/to-jab-or-not-to-jab-heres-why-the-answer-should-always-be-yes/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommers said:

We can all see how the figures are misleading and will continue yo be presented in such a way that it is impossible to get the true picture. There are hundreds in Chiang Mai prison who have not been included and probably the same in plenty more cities across the country. So getting uptight about what is really occurring is not the answer. I am only concerned about my ability to access a top quality vaccine at my expense, and until that happens it is just a matter of hunkering down. We are all on our own in this and must simply accept that.

Yes some good points! we all know the military controllers figures are questionable at best and that their has been miniscule testing over the last year.

The real covid numbers and situation in Thailand will not be revealed without extensive testing and transparency, neither likely with the current regime.

We are on our own as are the thai people who have been thrown under a bus by the greed and stupidity of the few.

Perhaps they can now buck the trend and move mountains not envelopes to role out a vaccine program immediately?, we can but hope!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Not good.

I said it 6 months ago and no one will ever know how many is a government cover up. Go check the temples they are becoming overwhelmed with new cremations. 
time the thais got off their butt and vote a real government 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This should raise Thailand to number 94 on the covid worldometre. No more look at us we are great stuff now. Bear in mind the almost 3,000 prisoners make the numbers because they were found out hiding them after Ms Panusaya release. These prisoners are NOT from yesterday's numbers. They were being swept under the carpet.

Very interesting that Thailand has not been updated on worldometer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1