600,000 teachers and school staff set to be vaccinated ahead of the start of term on June 1st

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: ThaiPBS

An official at the education ministry said that the small committee of the CCSA had agreed to vaccinate 600,000 teachers and other school workers before the start of the school year.

The start of term has been delayed to June 1st because of the third wave of the pandemic.

This week the names of all concerned will be gathered ahead of the rollout that will be nationwide for all staff in state and private schools, said Suphat Jampathong. 

The rollout will begin first in Bangkok where the names of those due to be vaccinated are just about ready. 

The authorities will have two weeks to make good on their aim, reported ThaiPBS.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-13

14 minutes ago, keith101 said:

18 days to do 600,000 vaccinations their dreaming again , that's an average of just over 33,000 per day 7 days a week .

More than that as they won't be starting until next week by the look of it

• Like 1

1 week or shorter before school opens will not work. Total effect will be reached 3 or 4 weeks weeks after the second jab.. So 6 weeks in total... today 13 May school opens 1 June is not 6 weeks I think. But of course I wrote already many times here to put teachers in the frontline, but who cares.. 

I'm sure they're making the vaccine roll out plan up as they go along. Every day these are going to be done, next day so many thousands here to get it. It's obvious they don't have a coherent plan in place which can only lead to a poorly executed program.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

An official at the education ministry said that the small committee of the CCSA had agreed to vaccinate 600,000 teachers and other school workers before the start of the school year.

What a novel idea... 

3 hours ago, Preacher said:

My non-government school regsitered me yesterday to get the vaccine. I understood it will be Sinovac.

heard this from a friend working at a government school too (today)

sounds like they're trying to offload sinovac asap

sinovac is in the thai news every morning for being more dangerous and expensive, so it's far more likely to be used on people under 60 with no underlying health issues

Sinovac doesn't seem to be unsafe. From reading some articles the problem is more that it is less effective in preventing than the Western vaccines. But even if not as effecitve inpreventing getting Covid, if you get it you do get milder complaints. That is why it is advisable to still get it. (And maybe get the seond shot with another vaccine).

Note that there is also another Chinese vaccine by Sinopharm. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tingtong said:

Anyone think about that 1 shot a few days before school start will only give a false illusion of protection for the teachers?

Yes, Sinovac requires 2 shots, 0 + 14 days to develop anti-bodies protection.

But this is what someone from the ministry of education have said, I wonder if it's already coordinated and agreed with other ministries and people in charge.

yes, its all just another pipe-dream/propaganda/sales-pitch as all the posters have pointed out, they would need to have already have had their first jab realistically. Also you shouldn't jab someone that is infected, something that doesn't seem to concern them and perhaps may explain why all those nurses got sick. You can surely rest assured that the Government has the populations health in safe hands, its all just a matter of how safe relative to their normal standards ???? On another note when you consider the Thai education system as a whole, taking a few months or a year out wouldn't really affect it much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of points. Rushing the second dose may be counterproductive given a new study in the UK which suggests that a wait of 12 weeks more than triples the response.

Also, protecting teachers is great but what about all the other staff that help the school run, not to mention the children and their families?

5 minutes ago, John435 said:

A couple of points. Rushing the second dose may be counterproductive given a new study in the UK which suggests that a wait of 12 weeks more than triples the response.

Also, protecting teachers is great but what about all the other staff that help the school run, not to mention the children and their families?

They said it will be all school staff not just teachers.