Sent Cash to Wrong Person - Krung Thai

Went through this very recently, same amount but with True Wallet. Mrs sent it to wrong number.

Telephoned the wrong number, lady claimed she didnt know how to send it back ! True required a copy of the first transaction, a Police report to be made explaining what happened. Sent both Police report and transaction slip to the True office, money back in the account 2 days later.

• Like 1

This happened to us recently my wife transferred 1,800 baht to an account we used to deal with.

I told her the money was lost but being the persistent person she is the matter was pursued.

The bank required her to file a police report, which she then took the bank and the money was re credited to our account in two weeks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I and my wife check the bank and the number a couple of times. 

Definitely correct and actually when my wife sent the cash from her phone, the correct name appeared, very strange. 

Do you have it set so that a copy of the final page(confirmation page) is saved in your gallery?  If so take a look at that.

If it was a valid transaction but to the wrong person the bank will probably contact that person explain what happened and ask for their permission to reverse it.  If they don't give their permission you are probably out of luck.

Edited by rwill

20 hours ago, blackcab said:

Did the transfer show the name of a recipient?

We have transferred money to the wrong account number before, but the account number did not exist.

The money was automatically reversed and it appeared back in it account a few days later.

Reminds of the time last year I sent 2mil baht to the wrong bank! SCB and Standard Chartered Bank mix up ????????‍♂️

48 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

I was on the receiving end of botched PromptPay transfer earlier this year.  I was sitting on the sofa reading a book late on a Sunday evening  when I got a call purporting to be from a bank call center (name starts with "K").  The young lady claimed that one of their customers had accidentally transferred 60,000 baht into my account via PromptPay (she was one digit off with the phone number and clearly didn't check the name before pushing the fire button).  I checked my online banking app and lo and behold, yep, an unexpected deposit for 60K.  So I confirmed to the "K" lady that I had received it.  She then asked me to send it back, at which point I got a bit suspicious.  I said no, let me talk to my bank in the morning (it was 11pm at this point) and determine what the correct procedure was.  She said she understood my reluctance and that the proper procedure was for the sender to go to the police station, get a police report, and then take that to her "K" branch...she was just hoping to take a short cut, as the money was rent on a commercial property.

In any case, about 2 weeks later I received a registered letter from my bank with all the transfer details and instructing me to go to the branch and authorize them to return the money.  This I did the next day and about 4 hours later I got a call from the grateful sender (who remembered the number she had accidentally entered) who thanked me profusely for my honesty: I guess she was half expecting me to spend the money and ignore the letter from my bank.

One thing my bank told me was that the "K" bank call center staffer was wrong to ask me to return the money directly - always use the official process , time-consuming as it might be.  Lots of scams out there.

I appreciate your comment. My personality type is that of a ‘pleaser’ so my instant instinct would be to immediately return and bask in the warmth of a good deed done. Something which could obviously backfire horribly. 
Your comment will assist me to step back and take the correct course to action in the future if ever needed 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You cannot "cancel" the transaction as it is already in the recipients account.  Your bank can contact that person (if it's their customer also) or the other bank, and tell them the mistake but they cannot be forced to send money to you if they don't want to.   

Sure, but it's also possible your bank has a policy to not get involved because they haven't made a mistake. Can't really blame them if it's your mistake.

On the K bank internet banking site, just before you click to confirm the funds transfer transaction you have set up, it reminds you that it's your responsibility to check all details before you confirm the transaction. It also states that the bank will not be responsible for mistakes made by customers. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Neeranam said:

Is there anything I can do from home to correct this or cancel the transaction?

The only thing would be to contact the person/company and say it was sent by mistake and ask if they would return it.  Once authorized, there is nothing the bank can do to force the other party to return it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, but it's also possible your bank has a policy to not get involved because they haven't made a mistake. Can't really blame them if it's your mistake.

On the K bank internet banking site, just before you click to confirm the funds transfer transaction you have set up, it reminds you that it's your responsibility to check all details before you confirm the transaction. It also states that the bank will not be responsible for mistakes made by customers. 

I know. I agree.

Sh*t happens – but 600 baht is $20 only, and can be afford to be lost, and enjoy the thought of that you might have made someone very happy now where 600 baht might be huge benefit...????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Sh*t happens – but 600 baht is $20 only, and can be afford to be lost, and enjoy the thought of that you might have made someone very happy now where 600 baht might be huge benefit...????

Indeed, I was thinking that. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dexxter said:

If I am about to send a large amount to a new recipient, I always send a token amount of a couple of dollars first and confirm they received the money. Then I send the full amount to them.  You have to realise that the recipient might also make a mistake with their number, not just the person sending or his wife.

I did the same thing. Instead of sending 50,000 to a person, I sent 1,000 and phoned them. They were quite upset until I sent the other 49,000. 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, Neeranam said:

Just called the bank and they said I need to get a report from the police station and then take it to the bank. It could also be done online, but still need the police report. 

Some lucky person just got 671 baht ???? 

Cheers and Many Thanks, for the box of beer ????

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, Dexxter said:

If I am about to send a large amount to a new recipient, I always send a token amount of a couple of dollars first and confirm they received the money. Then I send the full amount to them.  You have to realise that the recipient might also make a mistake with their number, not just the person sending or his wife.

Ok Dexxter, let's start with a token amount. I will let you know straight away if all went smoothly.

Trust me, all will be fine. Spare us the time and hit the "large amount" button.

17 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I did the same thing. Instead of sending 50,000 to a person, I sent 1,000 and phoned them. They were quite upset until I sent the other 49,000. 

I wouldn't be upset with 1000.

Please, go ahead.

Yes sir. I learnt the not so hard but very stressful way. All transactions are thoroughly checked and tested now 

On 5/14/2021 at 3:49 PM, Thomas J said:

The only thing would be to contact the person/company and say it was sent by mistake and ask if they would return it.  Once authorized, there is nothing the bank can do to force the other party to return it. 

Sure, but don't be surprised if the receiver says 'I will check with my bank first'.

Why?

Because there are so many scams, I wouldn't blame anybody who was wondering 'is this a scam of some sort?'

Example;  my daughter in laws' younger sister started an online shopping site for kids clothing. First day she got a call from a 'distraught' woman who said she had transferred 2,000Baht in mistake to DILs sister and asked for the money to be sent back to her within a few minutes because if her husband found out he would beat her up.

DILs sister is a naive and very caring person, she quickly got some further information and in panic transferred 2,000Baht to the caller. 

She called the bank she had transferred the money to and gave the account number.

Bank called back later to say 'it's a very old account, a/c holder is deceased, address is very confusing and until recently there had been no transactions for many years, however same day the several deposits into the account had been made they had been cleared out at a distant ATM in one withdrawal, sorry we can't help you.  bye'.

Later same day she checked on-line banking deposits to her own account, 2,000Baht never went into her account. She called back to the 'distraught lady', no answer for many days, she gave up.

Edited by scorecard

Would point out the recipient's name appears on your phone before the transaction is completed.

If you can't read the Thai name, that's really your problem.

I just transferred 150,000bht to my builder, he gave me the account number, I typed it into my phone, showed him my phone screen with his wife's name on the account, and asked him if he was happy before pressing the 'confirm transaction' button.

Couldn't be easier and I have an electronic receipt of payment.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Later same day she checked on-line banking deposits to her own account, 2,000Baht never went into her account.

She didn't see that 2,000 baht had been deposited into her account before she transferred it to the other person.  A friend of mine use to call that sort of loss " A Stupid Tax"  charged for being stupid. 

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

She didn't see that 2,000 baht had been deposited into her account before she transferred it to the other person.  A friend of mine use to call that sort of loss " A Stupid Tax"  charged for being stupid. 

Well you're so perfect, so I guess you've never made a mistake.