Can anyone recommend a non drowsy allergy pill? One a day preferably

Kenny202

Hi all. Get pretty bad allergy this time of year, sneezing, itchy eyes. Pretty miserable. I used to take Cetrizen which is a generic brand of Zyrtec which is supposed to be non drowsy but last 2 years I have taken it feel like a zombie all day. It does relieve the symptoms but can't get anything done. Does anyone know of anything else?

I posed the same question to my pharmacy and they recommended these, I take one in the morning and they work fine for me. No drowsiness.

Loreze.jpg

Edited by ImageDude

3 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I posed the same question to my pharmacy and they recommended these, I take one in the morning and they work fine for me. No drowsiness.

Loreze.jpg

I tried Loratadine last year and found it made me even more drowsy. I will try the brand you suggest here as I think some contain Pseudo and some don't. Loratadine is generic Clarityn

Both the above are second generation and should cause drowsy symptoms for fewer people - but most any drug can for some.

The active ingredient in Zyrtec is cetirizine. In Claritin, it’s loratadine. Both cetirizine and loratadine are nonsedating antihistamines.

I took Cetrizin for 2 years here because it didn't make me sleepy. Just started having that effect last year. it's like you are running on half power. Certainly clears up the allergy but I need something I can take everyday for the next month or two without being out to it

The most up to date generation after Zyrtec is Telfast. The generic in Thailand is Fexofenadine or Fenofex. In the U.S. it is called Allegra. Look it up on Drugs.com. It is highly effective and non-drowsy.

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Aerius is a third generation antihistamine, one at night and it stops my allergy, and after about a week I don't take it and all is well, for some reason!

I take Aerius, basically one a day indefinitely. Contains desloratadine. Generally non-drowsy-making.

• Like 1

They banned the most effective non drowsy drug a few years ago.

I believe it's the pseudoephedrine which does the work in this one. They work perfectly even if you might need to take 2 capsules instead of 1 to completely get rid of any hayfever symptoms (I know I need 2 of them as 1 does nothing).

UK Product which can be hard to find unless you order it :

image.png.b19972a690d57fc95a9e264102427b1e.png

Pseudoephedrine is the ingredient that they banned.

They banned it because people were stealing truck loads of the stuff from hospitals and using it to make 'meth' - this is why you can't have a proper working cold / allergy medication when you need it.

Nothing else in the non drowsy range seems to work for me. I have found that 'CliniCold' which is widely available in Thailand makes me very tired but does work.

Edited by ukrules

Lorratadine and clarityn are the easy ones.  Cetrizin is strong as hell. I to walked as a zombie 15 years ago and told the doctor to <deleted> of. Then I got my threatmen for 3 different allergies and now I'm as good as allergy free. Most of the treatment you nowadays get in tabletts as whereas I had to go 3 years to get my shots

44 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I take Aerius, basically one a day indefinitely. Contains desloratadine. Generally non-drowsy-making.

Also a very good one I agree. Didn't have any side effects on me

2 minutes ago, sead said:

Lorratadine and clarityn are the easy ones.  Cetrizin is strong as hell. I to walked as a zombie 15 years ago and told the doctor to <deleted> of. Then I got my threatmen for 3 different allergies and now I'm as good as allergy free. Most of the treatment you nowadays get in tabletts as whereas I had to go 3 years to get my shots

As far as I know Cetrizin is generic Clarityn?

3 hours ago, Brierley said:

Fenafex 60mg. non-drowsy, inexpensive.

thats the local, generic, but 60 mg is twice per day, they also have 180mg , which is slow release and its once per day.

Another local generic is Vifas, same ingredients as Fenafex

• Like 1

Cetrizine, loratadine and fexofenadine are all antihistamines that usually do not make people drowsy but there are people who nonetheless react that way. Sounds like you are one at east as regards cetrizine. You can try the other two if you have nto already.

Otherwise you may need a combination drug that combines an antihistamine with pseudoephedrine (psudeoephedrine itself is a decongestant but not an antihistamine).

Unfortunately these can no longer be bought over the counter, have to get at a hospital.

Just now, Sheryl said:

Cetrizine, loratadine and fexofenadine are all antihistamines that usually do not make people drowsy but there are people who nonetheless react that way. Sounds like you are one at east as regards cetrizine. You can try the other two if you have nto already.

Otherwise you may need a combination drug that combines an antihistamine with pseudoephedrine (psudeoephedrine itself is a decongestant but not an antihistamine).

Unfortunately these can no longer be bought over the counter, have to get at a hospital.

I took a Loratadine last night before bed and no drowsiness today. I do remember they were a lot more slow acting than the Cetrizine but I figure if I take before bed and they are 24 hour the worst of the drowsiness will wear off and its during the day I have allergy issues anyway. See how it goes. I have some gel capsules the other guy suggested on order too.