Thailand grants emergency use approval for Moderna COVID-19 vaccine - official

webfact

2 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Moderna developed in the most advanced country has to wait for Thailand to grant emergency clearance but Chinese garbage vaccine is widely available.  And they really believe that they’re intelligent 

That’s why we love LOS is very entertaining 

Every western country has the equivalent of the Thai Food and Drug Administration and has to follow the approval process as it is required by legislation.

Australia had to do the same with vaccines and any other new drug even if approved overseas.

The so called “Chinese garbage” had to follow the same process as I understand did the AstraZeneca which I and several friends are booked to receive early in June

Whether you or I think it’s intelligent is irrelevant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

Utter tripe or at best not entirely true

If Australia cant get theres to 2021/22 whats armys boys chance

They can outbid the Aussie. Moderna only for private hospitals and they charging 3,000 B per jab. Enough cream at the top to pay top dollar and secure the vaccines. 

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Nothing is official on this forum - you need to follow the Gov web sites.

What government website?  I basically see the same thing here as is announced on the government websites I follow.

Moderna might be here by the end of the year.  There's a huge scramble for this jab and Pfizer.  Lots of demand, little supply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

Unless Thailand can get it through COVAX.  Australia doesn't really qualify for COVAX.  Also, I'm sure for the right price Thailand can get it sooner.  I doubt they would be willing to pay it though.

Thailand is not part of COVAX.

Moderna is not purchased by Covax.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Moderna developed in the most advanced country has to wait for Thailand to grant emergency clearance but Chinese garbage vaccine is widely available.  And they really believe that they’re intelligent 

That’s why we love LOS is very entertaining 

I am reminded of the saying attributed to President Diaz of Mexico. “So far from god, so close to the United States” of course I am thinking more about so close to China, in this regard ...

6 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Great. But Australia has just secured an order for 25 million doses. Expected delivery? End of 2021 and into 2022. Thailand meanwhile hasn't even secured an order so the chances of it being here anytime this year are zero.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57095035

You are exactly right, If Thailand would have started  authorization for Pfizer and Moderna and then placed orders say right after the out break at the Shrimp market, we would be looking at a 2021 delivery, but instead they are buying the cheapest vaccine on the market Sinovac from China and producing 60 million doses of AZ here in Thailand in less then 6 months. 

Great. But Australia has just secured an order for 25 million doses. Expected delivery? End of 2021 and into 2022. Thailand meanwhile hasn't even secured an order so the chances of it being here anytime this year are zero.

More lip service from this government. Like when they got approval for J&J and Pfizer and never placed a order.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

No, that is not how it will work.  Moderna vaccine is made in USA and subject to export control.  Before Moderna can sell to anyone else it must satisfy its existing contracts, You know, like the 300 million doses it must provide to US government before June 30. Then it must take care of  backorder.  Who do you think has more value to USA , Thailand or Australia?  There are 20+ countries in line for Moderna vaccine. What will happen is that as countries satisfy need with Pfizer vaccine they will cede options to strategic allies or purchase on their behalf. 

I am afraid you are right. I was being sarcastic. Still I am banking and hoping Moderna to ramp up production and be in a position to supply Thailand at the shortest possible time. Below extract of financial news from InvestorPlace which breakdown their forward orders and Moderna commitment to increase production. 

The orders have been piling up for the company ever since. As of the end of February, the tally included:

• The European Union: 310 million doses, with option to buy an additional 150 million in 2022
  • United States: 300 million doses with the option to buy another 200 million
  • Japan: 50 million doses 
  • Canada: 44 million doses
  • Republic of Korea: 40 million doses

The list continues, but the point is Moderna will be able to sell every drop of vaccine it can manufacture. The company says it is boosting global manufacturing capacity with the target of 1 billion doses for 2021 and up to 1.4 billion doses in 2022. 

• Like 1

If you are correct, and Thailand won't get it for at least a year. Seeing as they have only given emergency approval for one year, The approval will have expired by the time they get it.

i can't see that happening. Pretty sure they must  have secured some supply. Even if only a small amount.

Got to love the irony. All highly paid doctors in private hospitals either studied or worked in western country but then it takes months and an emergency approval for a vaccine developed in the West , tested , tried and in use 

Just now, club said:

Expect that to move to 2022

I think of you were prepared to pay you would be able to get it before most thai from a private hospital but for a freebie might have to wait for indefinite time 

Just now, BestB said:

I think of you were prepared to pay you would be able to get it before most thai from a private hospital but for a freebie might have to wait for indefinite time 

I will be in USA in November, get it then for free. Probably Pfizer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

They can outbid the Aussie. Moderna only for private hospitals and they charging 3,000 B per jab. Enough cream at the top to pay top dollar and secure the vaccines. 

Reputable companies like Moderna do not do "bids".  They take orders and deliver in the order taken.  Thailand is once again late to the party, so we all suffer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Thai 'government' certainly does a splendid imitation of complete incompetence ...

Having spent most of my adult career as a federal bureaucrat in Oz, I'm startled to discover this late in life how near to perfection we actually were!

2 hours ago, Megascott said:

What exactly does “Approved for Emergency use” mean? Anybody? Bueller?

all jabs are only approved for emergency use only,
what it means is because a country is in a "state of emergency" they can bypass normal protocol
(such as animal testing)

if the countries are not in a "state of emergency"
these jabs would not be approved for emergency use,
and would need to go through all the normal saftey testing protocols.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, club said:

You are exactly right, If Thailand would have started  authorization for Pfizer and Moderna and then placed orders say right after the out break at the Shrimp market, we would be looking at a 2021 delivery, but instead they are buying the cheapest vaccine on the market Sinovac from China and producing 60 million doses of AZ here in Thailand in less then 6 months. 

Those countries getting supplies delivered now ordered way back at the trial and research stages and already put up prepayments. I doubt even if Thailand had ordered during the last outbreak they would be getting any now, probably late this year. 

Yeah yeah with a  blah-blah-blah and a blah. I would like to know about the use of Pfizer here for a certain few that was at the forefront of Thai Social Media last week and this week. We as foreigners did not openly see or hear about it, but if you have Thai family then you could hear all of the gossip. Seems like it is maybe lip service and a smoke screen pushing attention away from that. On the Moderna note, it may have an emergency approval, but the red tape of registering to import it is another story. I bet that will take up to 1/2 a year to get through the red tape alone, and then send a PO another 6 months waiting in que, then game over as everyone is back to staring at the wall. Nothin g is face value here, only them trying to maneuver left and right with lip service to temporarily dupe everyone to save face.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Reputable companies like Moderna do not do "bids".  They take orders and deliver in the order taken.  Thailand is once again late to the party, so we all suffer.

Singapore approved Moderna in early Feb and got their delivery in March. You right Thailand's junta government always behind the curve in almost everything. The wrong man is leading the country. 

• Like 2

Guess the wife and I were lucky to get caught on this side of the rock we have had both jabs + the 2 week waiting period and they have dropped the mask mandate for those fully vaccinated it’s liberating feels great I’m praying all in Thailand can join in this soon I think Biden dropped the patent rights to it 

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is the vaccine I will be ordering as soon as it's available.

If it's this year then that's nice, if not then I'll wait.

You could die waiting… Comparative risk my friend,comparative risk..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They act like they are doing moderna a favor, as it is already accepted in many parts od the world already. I've had it, no issues. Take care of your people Thailand, they are running out of patience

• Like 1