Thailand grants emergency use approval for Moderna COVID-19 vaccine - official

webfact

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Unless Thailand can get it through COVAX.  Australia doesn't really qualify for COVAX.  Also, I'm sure for the right price Thailand can get it sooner.  I doubt they would be willing to pay it though.

Thailand decided against being a member of COVAX. You will know the reason when you look up whose very important person is shareholder in Siam Biotech. 

• Like 1

When it is given approval for emergency use it does so because it has not passed all trails clinical or human, so by doing this you are nothing more than Lab rats why are you getting vaccinated for something that has a 99.7% survival rate, the so called vaccine which by its own definition is supposed to benefit, All vaccines administered between 1997 and 2013 there was a total of 53 deaths total world wide from this so called vaccine alone there is nearly 4,000 in America, wake up people, and if you are vaccinated why should you care that people choose not to be, OH that's right because you can still get it and still spread it, the CEO of Phyzer has stated you will probably need a 3rd jab and then every year

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/moderna-cuts-covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-to-canada-u-k-amid-european-supply-struggles

Moderna cuts COVID-19 vaccine deliveries to Canada, U.K. amid European supply struggles

There will be plenty to go around in the month to come.

Once the US have received its last 100 million batch in June/July, Moderna will start taking our dollars, well baht I guess.

Moderna has previously estimated it could provide between 600 million to 1 billion doses of vaccine globally by the end of 2021 thanks to its work with Lonza. However, the Swiss CDMO's chief warned in late January that it could take a couple of months to get the company's three plants up to "cruising speed." 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, WingFat said:

Moderna and Pfizer BioNTech...these are the best performing vaccines...get them if you can. Pay for it if you have to.

I agree, but you will not see them here in 2021. They missed the boat in ordering. They have 20 countries ahead of them. Even if they did order today, you might see them in second quarter of 2022. By then most people here will be vaccinated with that cheap <deleted> from China or AZ  

8 hours ago, Willy333 said:

Ok. When? And how much?

Why are you bothering to ask on TVF?

Nobody here knows or has the authority to speak for the government and the country.

Your guess is as good as mine and anybody elses.

The government will make the final decision after reversing itself a few more times yet.

As I understand it the price will be about 3,000 baht for 2 doses at private hospitals.

What they didn't say that was just the vaccines, then you have to add on the doctors fee, the nurses fee, administration fees and anything else that can charge for.

The final charge for the 2 shots maybe as low as 5,000 baht or as high as 10,000 baht, depending on which hospital you choose.

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

all jabs are only approved for emergency use only,
what it means is because a country is in a "state of emergency" they can bypass normal protocol
(such as animal testing)

if the countries are not in a "state of emergency"
these jabs would not be approved for emergency use,
and would need to go through all the normal saftey testing protocols.

Correct, but to be fair, the normal testing procedures were followed, at least in the case of the UK. The difference is that instead of it being done sequentially as is usual, a large financial risk  was taken and the testing was run in parallel with the development effort.

See if you can download / stream Jabbed! Inside Britain's Vaccine Triumph - All 4 (channel4.com)  which explains why vaccines typically take YEARS to gain approval. Also, it’s often the paperwork and admin  that takes the time, not the actual testing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Good news, but will they ever order it?? I can approve it, but if there nothing coming than this is no news

the decision to order and how much is up to some governmental official.

My good guess is that it will be offered at private hospital at a fee- not free -

There are handling and shipping fees, and refrigeration.  At  least,  Moderna should be available mid summer.

It is still good news -now  you have a good option no matter what it costs.

Rejoice and be relieved

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WingFat said:

Moderna and Pfizer BioNTech...these are the best performing vaccines...get them if you can. Pay for it if you have to.

Both vaccines uses MRNA principle with protein to help the body develop immunities. So far, they are reliable.   different storage temperature makes them harder to distribute Pfizer in rural areas because of refrigeration. Moderna is a good welcome into the vaccine race.

I read somewhere that the cost will be around 3,000 baht for the 2 shots. When it comes to health and reliable medication, price has no value.

It is still worth it.

The news have indicated that they may be vaccine booster. The 2 companies are working on a booster pill. That is quite logical. and  interesting.

so  sign up for it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

Unless Thailand can get it through COVAX.  Australia doesn't really qualify for COVAX.  Also, I'm sure for the right price Thailand can get it sooner.  I doubt they would be willing to pay it though.

The virus isn't contagious  so what are people worried about . It's spread mostly from droplets of water from the mouth onto another person. So its necessary to keep your distance and wear a mask. Do not congregate as in pubs or venues stay isolated or in a set community.

22 minutes ago, the green light said:

Both vaccines uses MRNA principle with protein to help the body develop immunities. So far, they are reliable.   different storage temperature makes them harder to distribute Pfizer in rural areas because of refrigeration. Moderna is a good welcome into the vaccine race.

I read somewhere that the cost will be around 3,000 baht for the 2 shots. When it comes to health and reliable medication, price has no value.

It is still worth it.

The news have indicated that they may be vaccine booster. The 2 companies are working on a booster pill. That is quite logical. and  interesting.

so  sign up for it.

All member hospitals agreed to offer the package at the same price, estimated at not more than 3,000 baht, including service fee, insurance and value-added tax, said Dr Chalerm, also chairman and CEO of SET-listed Bangkok Chain Hospital Plc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is the vaccine I will be ordering as soon as it's available.

If it's this year then that's nice, if not then I'll wait.

am with you on that one and per the lady living next door, she said today many vaccines were delivered and Moderna was part of the delivery, let's hope she was right

• Like 2

14 hours ago, webfact said:

emergency use authorisation

when you might die if you don't wear a mask, i would say we have ALL reached this emergency level.  

falang coughing blood, legs gone, last breaths.....needs the medicine that will save the falang!!!!!!  

"emergency for falang?"........."not yet!!!"   lol

• Haha 1

I don't think Moderna will be available any time soon and definitely not before the locally manufactured AZ are widely available here so that some people will not look even more incompetent than they already are. I would be over the moon if Moderna is made available before the last quarter of the year. But then again, will us foreigners be able to get into the queue against the rich and influential locals for the first shipment? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Singapore approved Moderna in early Feb and got their delivery in March. You right Thailand's junta government always behind the curve in almost everything. The wrong man is leading the country. 

More important was that  purchase order was made long before it was approved. USA, Canada, EU all made investment in year prior. 

8 hours ago, Boedog said:

When it is given approval for emergency use it does so because it has not passed all trails clinical or human, so by doing this you are nothing more than Lab rats why are you getting vaccinated for something that has a 99.7% survival rate, the so called vaccine which by its own definition is supposed to benefit, All vaccines administered between 1997 and 2013 there was a total of 53 deaths total world wide from this so called vaccine alone there is nearly 4,000 in America, wake up people, and if you are vaccinated why should you care that people choose not to be, OH that's right because you can still get it and still spread it, the CEO of Phyzer has stated you will probably need a 3rd jab and then every year

No, you are not  correct. Emergency approval does not waive safety. Also, there MUST be clinical trials. The  clinical information done in other equivalent jurisdictions is taken into account. You do not understand the process of clinical trials.  And please stop with this survival rate  tangent. The issue has never been survival, bu impact on health care system. As you can see  now in Thailand,  infected people overwhelm the healthcare system and it comes to a halt.

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Once the US have received its last 100 million batch in June/July, Moderna will start taking our dollars, well baht I guess.

Moderna has previously estimated it could provide between 600 million to 1 billion doses of vaccine globally by the end of 2021 thanks to its work with Lonza. However, the Swiss CDMO's chief warned in late January that it could take a couple of months to get the company's three plants up to "cruising speed." 

No. unfortunately it is not so simple. Moderna relies on contract manufacturers like Catalent and Lonaza who make components, and fill and finish. Any disruption in supply chain or a bottleneck slows down everything as world saw in March and April when Moderna cut deliveries to everyone but USA.  Yes, Moderna  says it would like to make 1 billion doses in 2021, but it needs to expand manufacture capacity and it cannot do that without slowing existing production. 

If the USA contract is completed by June 30, Moderna will move on to complete its existing backorder. This is why the original estimates of additional supply end of Q4 2021. beginning of Q1 2022 are more reliable. Also remember that both Moderna and Pfizer have obligation to provide booster doses to existing patients before they can take on new.  There are ethical requirements that have regulatory support in most countries that say once an important medication is provided, the manufacturer must be able to continue supply to existing patients if product is still allowed. I think you will find that it is a condition of clinical trial acceptance and authorization in the EU and USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

SinoVac—-no <deleted>’ way

Astra/Zeneca—-maybe, but nope

Moderna—yup

Pfizer—yup

Johnson & Johnson—yup

My wife's cousin just started working for a private hospital up here in Sakon Nakhon !

She called her today to ask about the Moderna ! They said you have to make a appointment and make a deposit  of 4k bht ,for a December shot !

https://www.facebook.com/raksakolhospital/

12 hours ago, WingFat said:

Best performing vaccines? Against which variant? Against all variants? Didn't you read the news about Singapore's latest lockdown?

Singapore announces new restrictions after vaccinated airport workers become infected.

Singapore health officials said that of 28 airport workers who became infected, 19 were fully vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, the only two approved for use in Singapore.

“Unfortunately, this mutant virus, very virulent, broke through the layers of defense,” Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung told a virtual news conference on Friday.

19 out of 28! Looks more like having an efficiency rate below 0% to me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Moderna—yup

Pfizer—yup

Johnson & Johnson—yup

Only because that are the 3 vaccines approved by your super home country.

If ever there was an example of being brainwashed

16 hours ago, Forrests Father said:

I did not know that.  Bad move.  Even the Philippines is ahead on vaccine supply compared to Thailand.  At least for western vaccines.  The PI has gotten over 2 million AZ shots from COVAX so far

Thailand seems to be putting all their eggs in one basket hoping this one local factory is able to produce most of their vaccines.  There is already a story suggesting they are having production problems and may deliver less than half the promised amount in June/July.  Where there is smoke there is probably fire so we probably haven't heard to worst of it yet.  I think even with their most optimistic projections they can only supply 60 million this year which is not nearly enough.  

Edited by shdmn

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

More important was that  purchase order was made long before it was approved. USA, Canada, EU all made investment in year prior. 

No, you are not  correct. Emergency approval does not waive safety. Also, there MUST be clinical trials. The  clinical information done in other equivalent jurisdictions is taken into account. You do not understand the process of clinical trials.  And please stop with this survival rate  tangent. The issue has never been survival, bu impact on health care system. As you can see  now in Thailand,  infected people overwhelm the healthcare system and it comes to a halt.

No. unfortunately it is not so simple. Moderna relies on contract manufacturers like Catalent and Lonaza who make components, and fill and finish. Any disruption in supply chain or a bottleneck slows down everything as world saw in March and April when Moderna cut deliveries to everyone but USA.  Yes, Moderna  says it would like to make 1 billion doses in 2021, but it needs to expand manufacture capacity and it cannot do that without slowing existing production. 

If the USA contract is completed by June 30, Moderna will move on to complete its existing backorder. This is why the original estimates of additional supply end of Q4 2021. beginning of Q1 2022 are more reliable. Also remember that both Moderna and Pfizer have obligation to provide booster doses to existing patients before they can take on new.  There are ethical requirements that have regulatory support in most countries that say once an important medication is provided, the manufacturer must be able to continue supply to existing patients if product is still allowed. I think you will find that it is a condition of clinical trial acceptance and authorization in the EU and USA.

Good and valid points. 

I just don't think the US of A will let China win the vaccine diplomacy game without a fair fight.

Moderna will trickle feed Thailand and other newcomers who have just recently signed up, while it catches up with current commitments. 

There is also a fair dollar to be made by all parties involved. 

Time will tell, but I still hope for 10,000 doses a month sold for 3,000 baht, starting very soon, May/June.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Agreed.  But lots of countries are in line.  Many of which have already paid for the jabs.  Don't think Thailand has or we'd have seen a report about it????

Again, they've already announced a delay in delivery to Canada, UK and Australia.  We're behind them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, patman30 said:

all jabs are only approved for emergency use only,
what it means is because a country is in a "state of emergency" they can bypass normal protocol
(such as animal testing)

if the countries are not in a "state of emergency"
these jabs would not be approved for emergency use,
and would need to go through all the normal saftey testing protocols.

That's not true.  No protocol was bypassed.  Just done quicker, with overlapping clinical trials, speedy government approvals, etc, etc, etc.  These jabs are fully tested now with billions having been jabbed.  No significant side effects so far.  And as with any vaccine, there's always side effects.

Pfizer has applied for full FDA approval.  Due to government bureaucracy, that takes years.

10 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Moderna—yup

Pfizer—yup

Johnson & Johnson—yup

If you are getting a tube shoved down your throat because you can no longer breath on your own do you think you will still feel good about your decision to wait for a better vaccine?

Edited by shdmn