To jab or not to jab? Here’s why the answer should always be yes

webfact

"Vaccine passport" = Problem solved.

You want to travel, go to a restaurant, bar, take a bus etc.  You need to show your vaccine passport.

Otherwise the business will be held responsible for any illness spread. Much like a bar owner is responsible for drunks leaving and driving home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

Vaccination won't stop transmission but it should lessen it which does protect other people. More importantly vaccines don't always work and there are some people who can't be vaccinated for various reasons and they need the protection of high vaccination rates.

You think I should be forced to risk my life and well being by using an experimental emergency vaccine to protect people I don't know and care about?

I thought everyone had already agreed the current vaccines didn't prevent transmission?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You think I should be forced to risk my life and well being by using an experimental emergency vaccine to protect people I don't know and care about?

I thought everyone had already agreed the current vaccines didn't prevent transmission?

Come on.  Vaccines don't prevent transmission, but are highly effective at keeping you from dying or in the ICU.  Which is key.

Pfizer has applied for full FDA approval and should receive it in the coming months.  Will you be OK with it then?

But your statement shows what kind of person you are.  Selfish.  Sadly, we're all in this together.  And we've got rights also.  Not to be infected by you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Come on.  Vaccines don't prevent transmission, but are highly effective at keeping you from dying or in the ICU.  Which is key.

Of course they prevent transmission, the vaccine creates antibodies so when you are exposed you do not catch covid. Hence you can not transmit it. There is a small chance of a break through case, in which case you could transmit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Of course they prevent transmission, the vaccine creates antibodies so when you are exposed you do not catch covid. Hence you can not transmit it. There is a small chance of a break through case, in which case you could transmit.

They do not 100% prevent transmission.  You can still catch covid, as proven in Singapore where quite a few health care workers who were fully vaccinated, got covid.  And a few ended up in the hospital.  But none died.  Right now, we just don't know enough about this virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/14/africa/seychelles-covid-vaccination-infection-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

Of the current active cases, 33% have been fully vaccinated, according to the Ministry of Health.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Don Chance said:

"Vaccine passport" = Problem solved.

You want to travel, go to a restaurant, bar, take a bus etc.  You need to show your vaccine passport.

Otherwise the business will be held responsible for any illness spread. Much like a bar owner is responsible for drunks leaving and driving home.

Please tell me how an unvaccinated person poses a danger to a vaccinated one?

If someone does not want the vaccine and they get Covid 19 and need hospital treatment then they will pay for the treatment. This is a good thing as hospitals want to get money as they are a business...at least here and America.  

If it's free health care then just deny it then as they have chosen the risks themselves. 

So no need to have vaccine papers and screen everyone going to the pub. 

Edited by jak2002003

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

It's not the danger from unvaccinated people to vaccinated people that is the danger, it's the danger from unvaccinated people who flatly refuse to get the vaccine based on misinformation or their journey down the conspiracy rabbit-hole to other unvaccinated people who can't get vaccinated because of legitimate health conditions.

Edited by DJBenz
Typo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Hmmm....sounds like the vaccine is rubbish then and the general population don't need it.

And those people that need the protection of high vaccination rate will ALWAYS need protection from ANY of the thousands of diseases that exist.  And so they should be the ones taking the precautions, isolating, wearing masks and not going to public places. 

If they are that fragile and at risk they very selfish and irresponsible to be going out partying and mixing with the general population anyway aren't they? 

Not really. This isn't something that's specific to  Covid 19 but is the case with most vaccines and in fact that's part of the way they work, by reducing the incidence of whatever is being vaccinated against. 

What makes you think the vaccine is rubbish just because it's not 100% effective? 

"And so they should be the ones taking the precautions, isolating, wearing masks and not going to public places."

These aren't 100% protection against Covid so by your own reasoning they shouldn't be relied upon.

Rather than just focus on Covid it's wise to look at vaccines in general and what the contraindications are, what vaccination levels are deemed desirable and what herd immunity is. Here's a good explanation.

When most of a population is immune to an infectious disease, this provides indirect protection—or population immunity (also called herd immunity or herd protection)—to those who are not immune to the disease.

For example, if 80% of a population is immune to a virus, four out of every five people who encounter someone with the disease won’t get sick (and won’t spread the disease any further). In this way, the spread of infectious diseases is kept under control. Depending how contagious an infection is, usually 50% to 90% of a population needs immunity before infection rates start to decline. But this percentage isn’t a “magic threshold” that we need to cross—especially for a novel virus. Both viral evolution and changes in how people interact with each other can bring this number up or down. Below any “herd immunity threshold,” immunity in the population (for example, from vaccination) can still have a positive effect. And above the threshold, infections can still occur.

The higher the level of immunity, the larger the benefit. This is why it is important to get as many people as possible vaccinated.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html#:~:text=When most of a population,not immune to the disease.

Many diseases that we no longer suffer from apart from in small numbers have been brought to this point by herd immunity and vaccines. as examples polio and smallpox.

You can't keep all people who can't have a particular vaccine locked up to avoid the rest of us having to have a vaccine anymore than we'd expect blind or disabled people to be kept off the streets.

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

They do not 100% prevent transmission.  You can still catch covid, as proven in Singapore where quite a few health care workers who were fully vaccinated, got covid.  And a few ended up in the hospital.  But none died.  Right now, we just don't know enough about this virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/14/africa/seychelles-covid-vaccination-infection-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

Of the current active cases, 33% have been fully vaccinated, according to the Ministry of Health.

It doesn't prevent transmission but it does reduce it. Also in situations such as this where it's so widespread it helps to prevent the health services becoming overwhelmed. 

It's basically part of a coping mechanism rather than a process of elimination of covid.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The current vaccines don't prevent transmission and as far as I'm aware no vaccine ever developed does either.  What they do and research so far suggests this is the case with at least some of the current vaccines is they reduce transmission and so reduce the 'R' number which defines whether the virus is spreading or not. 

Where have I said you should be forced to have a vaccine?  I certainly can't see that. How much of a risk would you actually be taking? Isn't that risk less than from contracting COVID-19? Since I don't know you are you suggesting I shouldn't care about any risk to your health?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

The current vaccines don't prevent transmission and as far as I'm aware no vaccine ever developed does either.  What they do and research so far suggests this is the case with at least some of the current vaccines is they reduce transmission and so reduce the 'R' number which defines whether the virus is spreading or not. 

Good point actually, so many people decry the "lack of 100% effectiveness" of these vaccines without actually realising that practically every other vaccine that has been successful in all but eradicating certain diseases is far from the impossible goal of 100% effective in preventing infection and/or transmission. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Me and my entire family already had COVID.

No worse than the flu for us.

Did you test positive for Covid-19 at the time you suspect you had Covid-19 ?

Have you taken any antibody test within 6 months of the time you suspect you had Covid-19 ?

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Of course vaccines prevent transmission. All Covid-19 vaccines have been proven prevent people from contracting Covid-19, thus there are fewer people carrying the SARS-CoV-2 virus and thus transmission by people who would otherwise have contracted Covid-19 has been prevented. 

The effectiveness of Vaccines on general / community level cannot be understated. 

The greater the proportion of a population who have been vaccinated the less the risk of contracting Covid-19 in that population.

It astonishes me how many people ignoring the proven effectiveness of the vaccines because of dumb arguments. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Well assuming you actually tested positive for covid (you don't mention that you did) then you are lucky. Having said that flu can be very bad for some people and can kill which is why there are vaccines for that as well.

If you've had covid what would you say were the dangers of a vaccine over and above the risks for covid?

The only person in my close family that has had it is my son. He was 41 and had it just before Christmas. He's in good health and he didn't have to go into hospital but it was pretty bad for him but fortunately he seems not to have any long term affects.

There's no doubting that covid does kill as the excess death figures show. It's unlikely we will eradicate it in the short term at least so it's a case of reducing it to a manageable level.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Well, if by everybody you mean epidemiologist. no, you're wrong. Vaccines don't prevent transmission 100% but some are more effective than others. An Israeli study shows that the pfizer vaccine prevents transmission by over 90%,

Pfizer Covid vaccine blocks 94% of asymptomatic infections and 97% of symptomatic cases in Israeli study

Pfizer said Thursday its Covid-19 vaccine blocked 94% of asymptomatic infections in an Israeli study — a result CEO Albert Bourla called “extremely important.”

The study, which measured results two weeks after the second dose, also found the vaccine was at least 97% effective against symptomatic Covid cases, hospitalizations and deaths, according to Pfizer, which developed the shot with BioNTech.

The analysis used data collected between Jan. 17 and March 6, when Pfizer’s vaccine was the only available shot in the country and when the more transmissible B.1.1.7 variant from the U.K. was the dominant strain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/pfizer-covid-vaccine-blocks-94percent-of-asymptomatic-infections-and-97percent-of-symptomatic-cases-in-israeli-study.html

5 hours ago, kimamey said:
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Well assuming you actually tested positive for covid (you don't mention that you did) then you are lucky. Having said that flu can be very bad for some people and can kill which is why there are vaccines for that as well.

If you've had covid what would you say were the dangers of a vaccine over and above the risks for covid?

The only person in my close family that has had it is my son. He was 41 and had it just before Christmas. He's in good health and he didn't have to go into hospital but it was pretty bad for him but fortunately he seems not to have any long term affects.

There's no doubting that covid does kill as the excess death figures show. It's unlikely we will eradicate it in the short term at least so it's a case of reducing it to a manageable level.

In other threads Brit’s also been claiming he had Covid-19 as some form of evidence against the severity of Covid-19, but he has admitted to not taking a test as at the time (when he had a cold or flu) there were no Covid-19 tests around (testing only really became wide spread and available after April 2020).

It seems everyone who had a cold last year or in late 2019 wants to make the claim that they had Covid-19 when they have no idea if it was Covid-19 or just a cold / flu. I had a cough in April, could have been Covid-19, could just have been a cough !

But, lets say BritManToo did have Covid-19 and as he indicates it was no worse than the flu for him and his family.

Many people who tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus were asymptomatic of Covid-19, especially when exposed to the initial variants which are thought to be less severe. Thus, If someone presented with symptoms to the initial variants it's possible they could react more severely to later variants, particularly if their initial exposure was over 1 year ago and the levels of antibodies have declined. 

What is to suggest variants such as P.1 or B.1.167.1 & B.1.167.2 are not going to cause significantly greater issues to people such a BritManToo, his family and those to whom he spreads the virus ?

Just because someone believes they may have had Covid-19 and believes they will be fine, there is no guarantee that even catching a different variant will have no greater impact. But, there is growing evidence that the vaccines that are currently in circulation are effective against all variants of Covid-19 discovered so far. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 1:44 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t believe the media is still so misleading about this. 

Covid-19 is the disease, the symptom. 

SARS-CoV-2 is the virus.

Vaccines are effective to varying degrees against Covid-19 (the disease).

For example, Sinovac is 50.4% effective against contraction of Covid-19, it is 78% effective against contracting mild symptoms of Covid-19 and is 100% effective against contraction severe symptoms of Covid-19 (and death). 

BUT, the virus can still be ‘breathed in’ someone can still carry SARS-CoV-2 and effectively be ‘asymptomatic’

Vaccinated individuals are not immune to ‘breathing in’ the virus and having that virus in their system for a few days. These individuals will test positive for SARS-CoV-2 when they take an Covid-19 RT PCR test. 

Vaccinated individuals are more likely to pass the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it) more readily than unvaccinated individuals such that they are contagious for more brief period of time. 

Nothing suggests that the vaccinated are more likely to pass the virus. Their viral load is much lower since they have antibodies actively fighting the virus. Less viral load means lower chance of transmission. Do you have a source that says otherwsie?

On 5/14/2021 at 2:22 AM, BritManToo said:

Interestingly enough this came up on a largely American forum in which I participate.

Apparently, there is no central database for COVID vaccination in the USA, your proof is a hand written scrap of paper any printer can produce.

CDC say not their responsibility to keep records, up to individual states (who mainly haven't bothered).

Same in the UK, most vaccination centers don't even give a certificate of vaccination.

So how would an airline check?

Blood test at the check-in desk is the only way I can see.

It is tracked at the state level. You need to show ID (but it is not mandatory) so a majority are tracked. Eventually the states can pass that info to the central government.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:02 AM, Lacessit said:

I am curious about virginal anti-vaxxers, who have never had polio, tetanus, tuberculosis vaccinations etc. etc.

Perhaps they don't realise if they visited places such as Afghanistan, Cambodia, Pakistan or Ethiopia, they'd be dead in a week, and the best immune system in the world would not save them. Multiple assaults.

You're right, I am wasting my time.

A majority of anti-vaxxers probably don't travel anyway. That is the only way they are sure they won't catch anything.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:31 AM, BigC said:

isn't  sinovac only 51.7 % effective ?

also made in China  which i will not put anything  made in China  willingly into my body ...

That is what the chart says.. but it varies by region. It is less effective against some of the variants. 

22 hours ago, cdemundo said:

You don't understand what 50% effective means.

Logic doesn't work without understanding the basic premises which you don't.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-statistical-secrets-of-covid-19-vaccines/#intcid=_wired-homepage-right-rail_352410f2-3e88-4148-b5c3-8733609a4b76_popular4-1

'But “efficacy” has a specific meaning in the world of vaccine statistics, and it’s not “Hey, if I get a shot, my chance of getting Covid is now just 5%!” Ha, no, you dope. Because your chance of getting Covid wasn’t 100% in the first place. See, vaccine efficacy is actually a relative risk reduction. It’s a ratio comparing the risk of infection in people who got vaccinated versus people who didn’t (the control group). '

So 50% effective means a vaccinated person's risk of having symptomatic infection is half of the risk of an unvaccinated person. 

This has been explained on TVF repeatedly for months.  But you still don't understand.

And continue to spew misinformation.

Good explanation, but in general, efficacy is a bad way to compare effectiveness. The vaccines were all tested at different points in and different locations. The American vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer, were tested in the US where the variants were not prevalent. Against the variants, they are a lot less effective. What is in important is that all vaccines prevents severe hospitalization and death, and reduces the spread significantly.

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

If someone does not want the vaccine and they get Covid 19 and need hospital treatment then they will pay for the treatment. This is a good thing as hospitals want to get money as they are a business...at least here and America.  

If it's free health care then just deny it then as they have chosen the risks themselves. 

The unvaccinated poses more of a danger to other unvaccinated, especially those that cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. If we don't stop the spread with herd immunity, it will continue to spread and kill the unvaccinated and possibly mutate and become vaccine resistant putting everyone at risk.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

In other threads Brit’s also been claiming he had Covid-19 as some form of evidence against the severity of Covid-19, but he has admitted to not taking a test as at the time (when he had a cold or flu) there were no Covid-19 tests around (testing only really became wide spread and available after April 2020).

It seems everyone who had a cold last year or in late 2019 wants to make the claim that they had Covid-19 when they have no idea if it was Covid-19 or just a cold / flu. I had a cough in April, could have been Covid-19, could just have been a cough !

But, lets say BritManToo did have Covid-19 and as he indicates it was no worse than the flu for him and his family.

Many people who tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus were asymptomatic of Covid-19, especially when exposed to the initial variants which are thought to be less severe. Thus, If someone presented with symptoms to the initial variants it's possible they could react more severely to later variants, particularly if their initial exposure was over 1 year ago and the levels of antibodies have declined. 

What is to suggest variants such as P.1 or B.1.167.1 & B.1.167.2 are not going to cause significantly greater issues to people such a BritManToo, his family and those to whom he spreads the virus ?

Just because someone believes they may have had Covid-19 and believes they will be fine, there is no guarantee that even catching a different variant will have no greater impact. But, there is growing evidence that the vaccines that are currently in circulation are effective against all variants of Covid-19 discovered so far. 

Well I wasn't going to say he and his family didn't have covid as I didn't know but then again he never said he'd been tested so there was always the possibility that it was just flu as you said. That still doesn't alter the arguments for vaccines and the fact that other peoples freedoms often rely on a more co-operative attitude by the rest of us even if we don't know them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

One big reason are hospitals.  If enough go unvaccinated, hospitals fill up and when a vaccinated person needs an ICU bed, it's not available.  Another is we'll never get back to "normal" until a majority are jabbed.  Another is costs.  Who do you think pays for these hospital stays?  Mainly the government and insurance companies. 

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Did you get a test?  I think I remember seeing you didn't.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Either way, I too have friends who got it and it was a big nothing burger.  But new studies are saying as many as 10-12 million have died from Covid.  That's significant.  Sad you try to deny the severity of this virus.  It helps no one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hioctane said:
On 5/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t believe the media is still so misleading about this. 

Covid-19 is the disease, the symptom. 

SARS-CoV-2 is the virus.

Vaccines are effective to varying degrees against Covid-19 (the disease).

For example, Sinovac is 50.4% effective against contraction of Covid-19, it is 78% effective against contracting mild symptoms of Covid-19 and is 100% effective against contraction severe symptoms of Covid-19 (and death). 

BUT, the virus can still be ‘breathed in’ someone can still carry SARS-CoV-2 and effectively be ‘asymptomatic’

Vaccinated individuals are not immune to ‘breathing in’ the virus and having that virus in their system for a few days. These individuals will test positive for SARS-CoV-2 when they take an Covid-19 RT PCR test. 

Vaccinated individuals are more likely to pass the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it) more readily than unvaccinated individuals such that they are contagious for more brief period of time. 

Nothing suggests that the vaccinated are more likely to pass the virus. Their viral load is much lower since they have antibodies actively fighting the virus. Less viral load means lower chance of transmission. Do you have a source that says otherwsie?

You’ve misunderstood me, perhaps due to my poor choice of wording....   

I wrote 'Vaccinated individuals are more likely to pass the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it)’...  (although I did clarify what I meant by pass - i.e. their body gets rid of it).

I should have written, 'Vaccinated individuals are more likely to overcome the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it) more readily than unvaccinated individuals such that they are contagious for more brief period of time. ’

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve misunderstood me, perhaps due to my poor choice of wording....   

I wrote 'Vaccinated individuals are more likely to pass the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it)’...  (although I did clarify what I meant by pass - i.e. their body gets rid of it).

I should have written, 'Vaccinated individuals are more likely to overcome the the virus (i.e. their body gets rid of it) more readily than unvaccinated individuals such that they are contagious for more brief period of time. ’

That makes more sense.  

On 5/13/2021 at 10:46 PM, BritManToo said:

If it's that safe why do all the vaccine manufacturers refuse to accept any liability?

If I were selling a safe product, I'd be advertising a generous compensation scheme in the event anything went wrong.

Remember the "100,000bht if you catch COVID while on holiday in Chiang Mai"

That's the sort of thing needed to encourage people to get vaccinations.

Because no vaccine is 100% safe. Not even the Flu vaccine. You could vaccinate two million people, have three people get bad reactions, two of them die, one of them badly effected for life. Even if you save thousands of other lives with your vaccine. 
  Then get sued by the families and some crazy court order the company to pay hundreds of millions or maybe much much more. 
    Happen enough times you could destroy a company. In our litigious society these days, that’s what would happen. 
Kind of surprises me that a thinking person would be unable to figure that out. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

Just now, Catoni said:

Because no vaccine is 100% safe. Not even the Flu vaccine. You could vaccinate two million people, have three people get bad reactions, two of them die, one of them badly effected for life. Even if you save thousands of other lives with your vaccine. 

I never been asked to sign a release form on any vaccine before COVID.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I never been asked to sign a release form on any vaccine before COVID.

Got my first shot last month. Pfizer-BioNTech.  Was not asked to sign a release form. 

• Like 1