3BB running fiber over distance to the house

recom273

We have a few things going on at the moment, some things have been getting a bit confusing after conversations with our local 3BB techs.

We need to run fiber over distance, from the nearest electricity pole, maybe 30m, when we spoke to the tech, they said that 3BB don’t do it and we needed to speak to the electricians. 

I have a background in structured data cabling, so the electricians won’t be touching the data on the new house but we still need internet run to a rental property.

How do 3BB install fiber to properties that are a distance from the pole? I know when we had it installed to our townhouse they turned up with a blunt drill bit that wouldn’t go through the wall.

The techs said, they only did fiber to the edge of the property, and that got me thinking I would need to put some junction box in the boundary wall and run cat6 in conduit to the house, or do they supply enough fiber to make the distance in a underground conduit to the home? We would run a draw line, and if they pull in to the house and terminate?

What about the rental property? I don’t feel comfortable running fiber on the ground and over pavement.

3BB ran fibre about 50 m thru our land to the house, then left a large coil of cable so i could change the location of the router if needed.

It doesnt make sense. Where are they going to install the router?

Try another provider and see what they say.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I have a background in structured data cabling, so the electricians won’t be touching the data on the new house but we still need internet run to a rental property.

Suspect they consider you as an apartment/condo type customer and local runs would be via your coaxial to customers/modems?

3BB told me that the Cable was FOC up to the property Boundary, and then there was a charge for the further installation.

Ie So much a Meter more Etc

this meant I got 250 M FOC from the bottom of the Hill, and then paid about 450 Baht for the additional 50 or so M to the actual Router.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, carlyai said:

3BB ran fibre about 50 m thru our land to the house, then left a large coil of cable so i could change the location of the router if needed.

It doesnt make sense. Where are they going to install the router?

Try another provider and see what they say.

Cool, that’s exactly what I would hope for. I would get cable runs drawn into the plan, conduit and draw line ready for them to pull it straight to the GPON and terminate. No need to move the router after.

The way they were talking was they would put it to the boundary. I was thinking I would need to run copper to the boundary where the GPON would be in some weatherproof box.

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

3BB told me that the Cable was FOC up to the property Boundary, and then there was a charge for the further installation.

this meant I got 250 M FOC from the bottom of the Hill, and then paid about 450 Baht for the additional 50 or so M to the actual Router.

This is perfect .. thanks, this is what the techs didn’t tell me, Tbh they aren’t installers they go around town sorting out connection issues and joining cut cables.

One less thing to worry about.

How did you manage the 50m, did you dig in some yellow plastic conduit to your external wall?

Edited by recom273

3 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Cool, that’s exactly what I would hope for. I would get cable runs drawn into the plan, conduit and draw line ready for them to pull it straight to the GPON and terminate. No need to move the router after.

The way they were talking was they would put it to the boundary. I was thinking I would need to run copper to the boundary where the GPON would be in some weatherproof box.

This is perfect .. thanks, this is what the techs didn’t tell me, Tbh they aren’t installers they go around town sorting out connection issues and joining cut cables.

One less thing to worry about.

How did you manage the 50m, did you dig in some yellow plastic conduit to your external wall?

No ! It was run up along the roof of some Apartment Building we have.

Why many people is so difficult in Thailand to handle easy daily life things! (like move in yesterday)

Give some village handyman 500-1000 bth and tell your problem and done! He take hes scooter or what ever machine and go close forest to steal you enough "poles" to handle problem (do what needed).Then 3BB come and get your wire in place!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

How many people is so difficult in Thailand to haddle easy daily life things! 

Give some village handyman 500-1000 bth and tell your problem and done! He take hes scooter or what ever machine and go close forest to steal you enough "poles" to handdle problem (do what needed).Then 3BB come and get your wire in place!

Do you even know what we are talking about? 

I had 3BB fiber put in 3 years ago. their distribution box was about 200 metres away and they ran the cable on the electricity poles alongside the road and across to the house, along and through the house wall into the lounge. There was no charge for the cable, only 800 baht for the router. As said previously they left a good bit of spare so the router could be repositioned if required.

Two vehicles came with 2 in each, one pair did the cable and the other pair did the connections and setup, all wearing 3BB teeshirts.

Bit of a problem with initial connection, turned out someone had driven over the cable while it was lying on the road, but apart from that and a tree being felled onto the cables, not a lot of problem.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Good luck with that. When I built the house I had the ADSL built into the wall, all neat and tidy. after a few furniture configurations the connection point ended up behind a piece of furniture.

When we had the fiber done I thought better to have it elsewhere in the room, now sits just below the cable entry point. Not as neat but more convenient.

IMG_20210514_151914[1].jpg

Have no idea.  We are probably 150 meters from the pole.  There is a vacant lot between us and the pole.  They said they would not tunnel underneath it.  However, both our home and the neighbors home they strung a cable over the street to our home.  That was "included" installation for service.  The line you see running over the road is the 3bb internet cable. 

image.png.4ed1c27d674f8010054ebd278cfec9be.png

image.png.5c9f2e545210ac62cefc2eb20049d92d.png

15 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Have no idea.  We are probably 150 meters from the pole.  There is a vacant lot between us and the pole.  They said they would not tunnel underneath it.  However, both our home and the neighbors home they strung a cable over the street to our home.  That was "included" installation for service.  The line you see running over the road is the 3bb internet cable. 

image.png.4ed1c27d674f8010054ebd278cfec9be.png

image.png.5c9f2e545210ac62cefc2eb20049d92d.png

Yes, like most, we have power lines running past the property along the roadside, I had no doubt they will run cable FOC from my property to to the nearest DP, understandably, they told me their responsibility ends there, at the boundary wall (obviously they need to terminate in the house and obviously like above they will drill though a wall or puch a hole through a mosquito net).

Maybe they thought I wanted them to dig a trench, install poles, lay conduit, god knows. 

The solution is to pay for the 50M length from the road to the house. This is what the 3BB guys didn’t seem to be aware of. 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Good luck with that. When I built the house I had the ADSL built into the wall, all neat and tidy. after a few furniture configurations the connection point ended up behind a piece of furniture.

When we had the fiber done I thought better to have it elsewhere in the room, now sits just below the cable entry point. Not as neat but more convenient.

IMG_20210514_151914[1].jpg

And here is mine .. a little difficult to hide behind the sofa. Its bit messy at the moment but trying to break stuff down to move, but when I finish building there will be a GPON which is about the size of a cigarette box, in a location with all the other incoming lines and take the cat6 from there to the router. So no luck needed.

All the cameras, wall outs to TV, audio endpoints, wifi AP, lighting control and wall outlets end up here in a central brain in my office. 

FBA213BF-CBD2-4FA1-A1AC-88271BDEEBCF.jpeg

Edited by recom273

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

3BB will only run a fibre optic cable a maximum of 500 metres from the node to your house.

I live 740 metres from the node, and they will not run the cable for me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

3BB will only run a fibre optic cable a maximum of 500 metres from the node to your house.

Interesting - obviously, gigabit internet is quite important to me, I need a decent connection for work and play.

I don’t think it’s an issue in the rental place that we have lined up, but before we made an offer on the land we went to the about an hour out of our way in to the Khon Kaen 3BB office with a pin drop and asked them specifically - can you provide gigabit to this location - they treated us like idiots - “we supply gigabit to everywhere in the province” we’re interested in looking the location up. 

I don’t think it will be an issue, the land is outside the village, but there are other places in the hamlet that must have a connection, but I will be supremely <deleted> off if 3BB cannot oblige after the efforts we went to. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Interesting - obviously, gigabit internet is quite important to me, I need a decent connection for work and play.

I don’t think it’s an issue in the rental place that we have lined up, but before we made an offer on the land we went to the about an hour out of our way in to the Khon Kaen 3BB office with a pin drop and asked them specifically - can you provide gigabit to this location - they treated us like idiots - “we supply gigabit to everywhere in the province” we’re interested in looking the location up. 

I don’t think it will be an issue, the land is outside the village, but there are other places in the hamlet that must have a connection, but I will be supremely <deleted> off if 3BB cannot oblige after the efforts we went to. 

TOT told me the same thing. Anything past 500 metres is a no no.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Did AIS come through ? 

Not at all. I have an AIS fibre line just outside the land but it links 3 or 4 base stations and they wont peel off a bit for me.

I think I may have to buy a mobile as a hot spot but I am not sure if that will work for whoever is on my network.

There is me with a pc, tablet and mobile, my wife and son with mobiles, X number of my sons mates though rarely all at the same time, my 2 neighbours plus their 2 girls, plus X number of their mates too but not all at the same time.

Maybe I should get my own server and rent out time slots to everybody. ????

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not at all. I have an AIS fibre line just outside the land but it links 3 or 4 base stations and they wont peel off a bit for me.

I think I may have to buy a mobile as a hot spot but I am not sure if that will work for whoever is on my network.

There is me with a pc, tablet and mobile, my wife and son with mobiles, X number of my sons mates though rarely all at the same time, my 2 neighbours plus their 2 girls, plus X number of their mates too but not all at the same time.

Maybe I should get my own server and rent out time slots to everybody. ????

Yes, if this was the UK or states, can get a lease line and resell wifi to your local village or you could even setup a base station at a neighboring property and setup a directional antenna which will carry gigabit over WiFi. 
I’m not to familiar with this kind of networking, but the hardware is here, UniFi can supply everything you need, theres some good network retailers in Bangkok who could install and setup for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yes they will run 500 meter free of charge, but you can pay for the extra distance, because the distance to the node can be easily double that

• Thanks 1

3bb fiber installed about 1 year ago  100 mbps  not impressed with the connection speed  I know not to expect the advertised speed  but 26 to 30 mbps  for sites outside Thailand  i use Testmy .net to check the speed  of the connection ,has anybody experienced these slow speeds with 3BB using there fiber optic line?

I was told by the installer that I was quite close the main box  so I assumed that the connection would be good

16 hours ago, recom273 said:

And here is mine .. a little difficult to hide behind the sofa. Its bit messy at the moment but trying to break stuff down to move, but when I finish building there will be a GPON which is about the size of a cigarette box, in a location with all the other incoming lines and take the cat6 from there to the router. So no luck needed.

All the cameras, wall outs to TV, audio endpoints, wifi AP, lighting control and wall outlets end up here in a central brain in my office. 

FBA213BF-CBD2-4FA1-A1AC-88271BDEEBCF.jpeg

Impressive, and good luck.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

3BB told me 200 metres Bill, I just got away with it.

I wonder if they have a budget on the free cable and when that goes down the distance they will do gets less.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, akampa said:

3bb fiber installed about 1 year ago  100 mbps  not impressed with the connection speed  I know not to expect the advertised speed  but 26 to 30 mbps  for sites outside Thailand  i use Testmy .net to check the speed  of the connection ,has anybody experienced these slow speeds with 3BB using there fiber optic line?

I was told by the installer that I was quite close the main box  so I assumed that the connection would be good

Speed is dependent on the package, your local network and the kit you use. I don’t think there is a need to have an unsatisfactory connection.

If you are not happy, Call 3BB - request a call back from “the ISP team”, they will simply pass over your number and you will get a call back, maybe one hour, maybe next day.

You can express your concerns, the guy will check everything and give you an accurate opinion based upon data, not guesswork and an internet speed test. If you have requests, maybe you have a specific address or server that is important, he can give you the fastest routing.

There is only one guy that can speak English very well, he’s great, give him a try.

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yes, if this was the UK or states, can get a lease line and resell wifi to your local village or you could even setup a base station at a neighboring property and setup a directional antenna which will carry gigabit over WiFi. 
I’m not to familiar with this kind of networking, but the hardware is here, UniFi can supply everything you need, theres some good network retailers in Bangkok who could install and setup for you.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I am also not familiar with home networking and I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet. There may well be some retailers up in KPP which is only 65km away.

7 hours ago, akampa said:

I have had that from time to time but usually temporary, mainly in the evening. I use Kodi and when the speed gets down below 30 the buffering starts when watching movies. I also use Testmy to check and quite often got speeds around the 100 mark download with upload often in the mid 30s

When it has been a bit protracted we phoned 3BB and they did some sort of reset and that usually cleared it.

We signed up for 100/30 but a while back we got a free upgrade, can't quite remember to what possibly 300/50, and very few speed problems since then. Haven't found it necessary to do any speed checks recently.