Nuritus​ following​ dental work

Olmate

My gf has brachial nuritus arising  from teeth extractions.  Govt.hospitaltreatment has been pain meds only for some 6 months but of late pain has increased along with frequency.Does anyone have any experience of similar... .thanks.... Perhaps Sheryl may be able to advise. in Pattaya area.Regards

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I assume you mean neuritis.

Brachial neuritis cannot possibly have anything to do with dental work. Are you sure you mean brachial? where is the pain exactly?

Thank you..perhaps I’m wrong re brachial. Yes neuritis, the onset followed extractions and debilitating shooting pain jaw to left side of head followed following few days. Diagnosis by local hospital and meds prescribed. 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Thank you..perhaps I’m wrong re brachial. Yes neuritis, the onset followed extractions and debilitating shooting pain jaw to left side of head followed following few days. Diagnosis by local hospital and meds prescribed. 

Surely they did not diagnosis brachial neuritis.

Pain such as you describe following a tooth extraction could be trigeminal neuralgia.

It is treated initially with oral medications. In soem cases injections or surgery may be needed.

What government hospitao is she being treated at and how long ago was her last appointment? She may need to request them to refer her for specialized treatment.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Surely they did not diagnosis brachial neuritis.

Pain such as you describe following a tooth extraction could be trigeminal neuralgia.

It is treated initially with oral medications. In soem cases injections or surgery may be needed.

What government hospitao is she being treated at and how long ago was her last appointment? She may need to request them to refer her for specialized treatment.

Hi Sheryl, yes I was wrong,and indeed it is as you say. Initially Pattaya Hospital but then went to Siriraj in Bangkok, feels they just keep her on meds with no end in sight. Just today they begrudgingly suggested an MRI quoted at 20k plus. Episodes of pain have been months apart but  I am worried long term meds may be bad for her. Regards

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Hi Sheryl, yes I was wrong,and indeed it is as you say. Initially Pattaya Hospital but then went to Siriraj in Bangkok, feels they just keep her on meds with no end in sight. Just today they begrudgingly suggested an MRI quoted at 20k plus. Episodes of pain have been months apart but  I am worried long term meds may be bad for her. Regards

Can't do better than Siriraj.

Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic condition and medications are the mainstay of treatment, and are often needed long term.

If medications are not sufficient then surgery can sometimes be contemplated but it is a last resort and can have long term adverse effects. Would not be indicated if the attacks are only once a month. See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trigeminal-neuralgia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353347

The main point to an MRI would be to rule out another cause such as a tumor. With a clear history of starting after tooth extractions, it is not likely to find anything or alter the treatment. And it sounds like the doctors were reluctant to order it.

I appreciate your desire ti help her but pushing this issue may do more harm than good. It is a chronic condition and she is already in the best hands.

'

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Can't do better than Siriraj.

Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic condition and medications are the mainstay of treatment, and are often needed long term.

If medications are not sufficient then surgery can sometimes be contemplated but it is a last resort and can have long term adverse effects. Would not be indicated if the attacks are only once a month. See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trigeminal-neuralgia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353347

The main point to an MRI would be to rule out another cause such as a tumor. With a clear history of starting after tooth extractions, it is not likely to find anything or alter the treatment. And it sounds like the doctors were reluctant to order it.

I appreciate your desire ti help her but pushing this issue may do more harm than good. It is a chronic condition and she is already in the best hands.

'

Thank you so much Sheryl. Mayo link is so informative and your advice is much appreciated. Kind regards.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Post extraction it could also be dry socket syndrome where the "plug" of coagulated blood is dislodged and the bone is exposed...causing radiating pain in the jaw and extending to facial nerves.

Yes my hope that was thecase initially too.  Thanks perhaps wise to revisit tho.

• Like 1