How to open this thinner?

bankruatsteve

So, I bought the cheapest AAA thinner at Do Home.  The plastic sealing ring came off OK but I'll be damned if I can get the cap off.  What's the secret?  

I tried pressing my thumb down while turning which the icon appears to be saying - but it just turns and that's it.

Thinner.jpg

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I tried pressing my thumb down while turning which the icon appears to be saying - but it just turns and that's it.

The cap doesn’t have a screw thread. Pushing down expands the base. 
ignore the hammer suggestion but push down on the cap and use a flat screwdriver to help lifting the cap off. 

you can use beer bottles for storage but should have plastic caps for them

• Haha 1

Finally got a round toit.  Apparently my thumb is not going to be a Lethal weapon any time soon - so I tried giving it a bang with a screwdriver handle and the cap popped up.  It has a plastic compression thingy inside. and pops back into place.  

I've never seen anything like this before but there you go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Designed to be child proof. I still remember trying to open a bottle of panadol about 40 years ago and could not budge it. My 4 year old told me you had to push down and turn at the same time, he opened it at first attempt.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Finally got a round toit.  Apparently my thumb is not going to be a Lethal weapon any time soon - so I tried giving it a bang with a screwdriver handle and the cap popped up.  It has a plastic compression thingy inside. and pops back into place.  

We had the same cap when I was a kid. push down (as others said) in the center of cap to release and it should lift off.

Squeeze the perimeter together and it should click back on...

21 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

This one has an insert that expands the rim when pushed (to open).  To close, just press on the rim and it snaps shut.

Thinner cap.jpg

The same cap we had on our thinner can 60 years ago, except that ours was all steel but for a paper gasket.