Rats Ate the Car

I had one living in my windscreen gully, little guy made a nest in the soundproofing material and chewed through my transmissions speed sensor wiring, they do love the taste of the plastic wire insulation here and all over the world, as do squirrels. 

I have no deterrent to keep them away but I have cable tied small zip lock bags of rat poison in a few places around my engine bay, any signs of them been chewed then the rat traps are out in force, baited with bits of meat, I got the last one the second night and smelled his dead family in my shed a few days later, thanks to the poison.

• Like 1

With an older now gone car we had one chew some wires but then got into the ventilation system and ate paper and pee pee'd in there. Disgusting' as smelled like rat p *ss while blowing out paper shreds. Little b-turds love to eat car wires and plastic. For the wires I found the problems and patched them up my self. I guess you could put a snake in there to deter them but i have not found a deterrent yet. Cat pee pee from the liter box?. 

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to use poison as pets could be at peril.

I have now ordered 2 cans of "Rat Off" from Lazada - 185baht delivered. Thanks Dmaxdan.

The wife has bought a packet of smelly little toilet balls (urine cakes), as suggested by some locals. I'm not sure if I want that smell through the car!

The spray is also supposed to be effective against jing jocks. We host about a billion of these fattened little lizards who feast on the bugs attracted by security camera lights. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

I have this sane <deleted> problem , only not only rats chew the wires but go into AC, urinate and have babies. 

rat poison and anti rat sprays do not work. Only thing that kind of works is running engine late evening to make it hot so they keep away but I know not for long , eventually they will figure out how long it takes for engine to cool down 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I don't want to use poison as pets could be at peril.

I had the same worries before we were adopted by a couple of moggies. Our rats must be the tastiest in the area although the fact that Madam also leaves out small amounts of cat food probably has some bearing ???? 

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, Sophon said:

Our dogs keep rats away. But then again, two of our puppies ate the wiring for the 4wd drive (10.4k Baht to replace) and the back-up camera, so maybe that's just an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" solution. 

1701259299_DSCF0356(Copy).JPG.931829bd96e08fbdf88c860aafc6c508.JPG

I know the problem we have kept Jack Russell Terriers for years which guarantee we are vermin/ snake etc free .

A couple of years ago one of the younger ones decided to chew through the breather/ overflow pipe on my wife’s new Vios.

On that model the pipe couldn’t be replaced as a separate item which meant a new tank.

The local Toyota people to their credit found something to effect a repair and not a problem since.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Rat off spray. It has a strong, minty smell.

Available in all good supermarkets, Normally found near the bug killer sprays.

8850214052010.jpg

Does it help against human rats also?

When I moved here and bought it I consulted with a pest guy back home as my cousins in the country have rats eating their car wiring so I had a hunch it would happen here with so many rodents about. He suggested a few fixes in combination;

Moth balls works a treat as the stench of camphor is very irritating to their sensitive noses.

Just put a few in some insect screen wire mesh bag (easy to make up) and secure them under the hood in a safe place (not in contact with hot parts) with a piece of wire or cable ties. They don't stink (in my aircon or anything) as the vapour is heavier than air, it drop down through the engine bay and moves along the garage floor making the whole garage nasty to rats n mice. I built closed in garages and installed traps to protect a bit too (but of course they get in), and I catch one regularly but not every week.

Camphor moth balls works to keep pooing dogs n cats out of your gardens and off your nice lawn too. Just step them into the turf so you can mow straight over them. (should you have some).

IF you start spraying poison in your motor compartiment, be aware you also can have the poison in your car by air and airco.

Especially when motor heats up all will evaporate . You will inhale the poison and could end up with the rats.

You have electronic devices, ultra sound, but should be limited to your car as, if you have dogs(s) or other pets, they also are bothered with it.

Found this one in youtube , dont know  if it works , but if you use eucalyptus, citronella, peppermint oil. It is harmless for you. Your car also smells maybe better. 

• Like 1

I have them too but they are no rats but squirrels, I see them daily running over the wall around the house.

Once they come in the outdoor unit from the aircon and haved gnawed the wiring.

Second they go in the car in the airinlet of the ventilation system but were blocked by the fan and died, resulting in a foul stench for weeks, until I discovered them at the filter.

57 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

IF you start spraying poison in your motor compartiment, be aware you also can have the poison in your car by air and airco.

Especially when motor heats up all will evaporate . You will inhale the poison and could end up with the rats.

You have electronic devices, ultra sound, but should be limited to your car as, if you have dogs(s) or other pets, they also are bothered with it.

Found this one in youtube , dont know  if it works , but if you use eucalyptus, citronella, peppermint oil. It is harmless for you. Your car also smells maybe better. 

We use a high pitched sound device at one of my properties here in the states seems to work the doggos don’t seem to mind 

3 hours ago, snowgard said:

Does it help against human rats also?

There is a foul spray that will ward off any human rats or thieves. But you would have to have no sense of smell or taste yourself to use it.

19 hours ago, Aomelia said:

The wires are made with SOY to make them breakdown after the car has run its course 

I was skeptical, but you are correct. Since the early 2000s apparently. 

Amazing unintended consequences story. 

Thanks. I learned something. 

8 hours ago, geisha said:

Sorry for hijacking the subject , but how to I keep stray cats from sleeping on my Nice new car  ? I don’t want to kill them !

Songkran gun , with squeezed lime and orange in the water.

or get a dog. 

• Haha 1

I had a lot of problems with rats attacking my car's electrical wiring , in the end I found an electronic rat killer on lazada . after putting this electronic rat killer   ( which is mains voltage or battery operated)  in my cars engine bay , its killed a lot of rats and the rats attacking the cars electrical wiring has gone away. I would recommend only using dry type rat poison pellets as the bait , if normal human food is used it quickly deteriorates and the moisture from the deteriorated food can seep into the electronic components . Also any any rats killed should be removed as soon as possible , again to stop any moisture from the dead rat's body from  getting into the electronic circuitry.

Rat2.jpg

Rat3.jpg