18 hours ago, superal said:

Is it just a matter of time till Thailand joins the no cash society ?  The mind boggles when I think of some of the services offered in Thailand will use card only payments and vendors will carry their own card readers

I think in Thailand it may become more mobile phone based.  Even many of  the small vendors signed up for the 50/50 deal which I think was mobile driven.  Also QR code payment which is widespread now too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, curtklay said:

I call bulls**t.

I have never heard of cash being refused anywhere.

Actually I have seen it. On a holiday in the US one time and an all night liquor shop accepted cards only, no cash. Obviously for the robbery aspect but still no cash.

In Thailand, i mainly use cash. Only use the card in major shops, like Lotus, and to withdraw cash. In UK 50/50, I do not like contactless because of potential fraud - I think this could sky rocket soon.

1 hour ago, curtklay said:

I call bulls**t.

On the other hand I have seen airline hostess refuse a card for a small drink purchase. Would only accept cash and the silly young dude did not have any so he went without.

• Haha 2

I do use a card in some places as it does give 2% back for all purchases.  I also make sure they charge the account in Thai baht as you get a better exchange rate than if originally charged in the currency of the USA.  But, I will not use it anywhere the card is out of my sight at any time.  The only card I ever had comprised was compromised at a local gas station here.  It had not been used anywhere else for months prior to that charge.  About six weeks later I found that over $6000.00 of high end electronics had been charged to the card in Florida.  I challenged those charges and came out OK but a lot of time and effort spent clearing things up.

2 hours ago, curtklay said:

I call bulls**t.

Some bars in the UK are cashless as are some large sport events like Cricket. This will happen more and more.

• Like 2

Here in Thailand, I don't even see a need for (more) card readers. I've made many cashless payments - even at what I had considered "unlikely places" - simply using my phone. PromptPay or TrueMoney.

So I'd say both cash and card payments are on their way out, in the sense that increasingly you don't need to use a physical card anymore (it might still be linked to a payment app / wallet app).

2 hours ago, curtklay said:

I call bulls**t.

I have, the card only line in Makro, it had no queue so I was heading straight there, but...????

42 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

Granted there are conveniences to  not needing cash , but  there are problems as well.    Do a web search or two for dangers of a cashless society  and see if the benefits outweigh the  potential problems.

The benefits to unprecedented governmental control will inevitably, always outweigh any problems to the wide eyed sheeple

• Confused 1

Been using credit card in Thailand for anything possible for 20 years...and in USA and other parts of the world much longer. So much more is available cashless here now and CapitalOne MasterCard gives 30 day grace period in which there is no interest charged if balance is paid in full by the due date each month. It also pays 1.5% cash back. Why ever use cash? Cash only as a backup or where credit cards not accepted. 

Sometimes Lazada (the ONLY place) has a problem processing my CC. In that event, just use my Bangkok Bank debit card. 

Edited by Skeptic7

Many small shops in europe have a MINIMUM limit for card payments because of surcharges.

Imagine using a card for every 20 Baht purchase.

Imagine trying to make a contactless card payment on a moving Thai bus.........

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:30 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I'm using cash and card less and less. I mainly use QR payment/Prompt Pay via the K-Bank app. It's great. So convenient and most places accept it now, from street food vendors up to big stores. 

I’m like you.. While i still use “cards” - mostly because either i earn some kind of points/cash back or because  i want some kind of post-purchase recourse should things go bad, i do find that more and more of my smaller day-to-day purchases i pay by QR or the like... 

I do sometimes find it funny that at some stalls that lack electricity hook-ups or running water have their QR code prominent displayed and used. 

my neighbor runs a few smaller cafes near several universities in the bangkok area - thus is a cash heavy business …  he told me that his commercial banking costs (like the banks fee for bulk cash deposits, loose coin acceptance fees and the occasional bogus note his staff would accidentally accept) have dropped dramatically- he has now set it up that users of QR get an additional “point” in his shops frequent buyer card programme as a means to promote it. 

5 hours ago, curtklay said:

I call bulls**t.

In Thailand maybe. Not in the UK. Cash no longer taken on a bus.

Its very convenient. You pay something like 7 pounds for a trip that costs 2 pounds and then you can throw the card and the remaining 5 pounds away. It really makes you feel like a big shot. And when the ticket machine has a meltdown you can always use shanks pony or take a taxi.

Its so convenient and useful I'm really glad I'll be kicking the bucket soon as i dont think I could stand all the pleasure and excitement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Here in Thailand, I don't even see a need for (more) card readers. I've made many cashless payments - even at what I had considered "unlikely places" - simply using my phone. PromptPay or TrueMoney.

So I'd say both cash and card payments are on their way out, in the sense that increasingly you don't need to use a physical card anymore (it might still be linked to a payment app / wallet app).

What if you do not pay for internet (by choice) on your phone.

Just now, Caldera said:

Then you can't use any payment apps, unless you're in a place with Wi-Fi.

Exactly. If they do not accept cash or CC they do not have my business. Someone in the past said "the customer is always right"

• Like 1

The governments are pushing towards a cashless society.  They can't track cash.  So black market for labor and goods.  Merchants like it because of the convenience and tracking. With that said it is not "free"  A charge on a credit card will cost the merchant between 2.75% and 5% of the amount of the purchase.  The higher the volume and the higher the average ticket charged the lower the rate.  So that cost gets added to the cost of the products/services rendered.  And those "rebates" free miles, cash back etc. that you get as freebees for using your card well those free premiums also get passed on to the merchant accepting your card.  Debit cards cost the least generally about 1.5% to 2% of the amount of the purchase.  Cards like American Express cost the most and that is why many merchants specifically will not accept them.  Also the merchant gets charged each month based on the number of different types of cards.  A Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover all have a monthly fee the merchant pays for the privilege of taking their cards. 

• Thanks 1

Me , A.K.A.  Johnny Cash.

regards worgeordie

900 $ charge on my Thai issued credit card which is not mine: advice anyone, posted today on here, is why.....

Edited by worgeordie