New non-im Visa: 800K and "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand" ?

After a stay of 10 months in Europe (because of Covid), my mum finally came back to Thailand.

She came with a TR Visa and she has to redo all the process to come back to a retirement Visa.

I will prepare all the papers for her.

The first thing to do at Jomtien is a new 3 month 50yo retirement visa non-o.

Here is the list of the required documents: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

That's the first time I read something about the "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand":

image.png.7d46d151888c572eaf1f01701e3619c2.png

My mum has a fixed deposit account with more than 800k that she opened 8 years ago.

I know I need a letter from her bank: does that letter (in thai) tells that the funds came from abroad or does she need another paper ?

Thank you.

Your mother can show that she opened already 8 years ago a fixed deposit account on her personal name.  And when the current balance of that FD Account is +800k (which she also maintained in those previous years, as evidenced by the FD Account passbook), normally the requirement to provide proof of the foreign origins of those funds will be waived.

However, as this is Thailand, it would be recommended to visit your local Imm Office to have the above confirmed.

Note that when the Imm Officer does want to see proof of the foreign origin of the funds, you should politely ask to talk with the officer in charge.  That should normally settle the matter.

• Like 1

@Peter Denis

Thank you and you are right, that may depend of the office.

I did my Visa more than 10 years ago and for 10 years they never asked me the "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand" at Jomtien Immigration.

For 1 year extension I'm sure that this document is not required.

But someone who did a new Visa this year at Jomtien could confirm that this document is not required ?

(maybe guru @ubonjoehas the answer ? ???? )

Edited by Spellforce

45 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

@Peter Denis

Thank you and you are right, that may depend of the office.

I did my Visa more than 10 years ago and for 10 years they never asked me the "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand" at Jomtien Immigration.

For 1 year extension I'm sure that this document is not required.

But someone who did a new Visa this year at Jomtien could confirm that this document is not required ?

(maybe guru @ubonjoehas the answer ? ???? )

When using the Funds in Bank method, proof that the +800K originated from abroad is required when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

It is NOT required anymore when subsequently applying for 1-year extensions of stay based on that original Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

That proof of foreign origins of the funds will normally be waived when showing evidence that you already have a PERSONAL Thai bank-account and transferred the funds years ago.  But to avoid any hick-ups it is recommended to enquire beforehand at your local Imm Office to have them confirm that in your mother's case it is not needed (and do ask for the officer in charge when the Imm Officer does require it, as the desk officer may not be aware of the normal waiving practice in such cases).

Success!

• Like 1

I have had funds (800k+) in Bangkok Bank for about 7-8 years. For 12 years I have been visiting for 3 months then return to the UK for 3 month (ish) and only applied for my retirement extension February last year. Copies of all the pages in my bank book presented to Nonthaburi Immigration; no question as to where the funds came from. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It will be required for the non imm O based on retirement. Maybe get the statement when it was originally transferred in and hopefully it says International

If OPs mother still has the evidence that the 800K which she transferred eight years ago (or longer) to a personal Thai bank-account, originated from abroad, that would solve the matter of course.  But it is unlikely that she still has that +8 year old evidence, and Thai Immigration would in such cases normally waive that proof of foreign origin requirement when the funds have been already long-time seasoned on her personal Thai bank account.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But to avoid any hick-ups it is recommended to enquire beforehand at your local Imm Office to have them confirm that in your mother's case it is not needed (and do ask for the officer in charge when the Imm Officer does require it, as the desk officer may not be aware of the normal waiving practice in such cases).

Success!

Yes I'll go next week ask them how to sort it out, thank you ????

I think many people will have exactly the same problem as my mum: many people with retirement visa came back to their countries and were not able to come back to Thailand for months because of the covid. Now they have to restart from zero the visa process with a sleeping 800k deposit account and a bank transfer from oversea done decades ago ! Or maybe @ubonjoehas another answer ? Showing the old visa on your passport + bank book of your deposit account is not the proof that you allready showed that you did an international bank transfer years ago ?

24 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I have had funds (800k+) in Bangkok Bank for about 7-8 years. For 12 years I have been visiting for 3 months then return to the UK for 3 month (ish) and only applied for my retirement extension February last year. Copies of all the pages in my bank book presented to Nonthaburi Immigration; no question as to where the funds came from. 

To me, Nonthaburi ImmD officals is reasonable and helpful.

@DaLa

Yes but you didn't need to do a new Visa.

For every 1 year extension they dont ask proof of an oversea bank transfer, that's required only when you apply for your 3 months visa.

That issue concerns thousands of foreigners that are today in Europe/USA because of the covid, have an expired retirement visa and will have to do a new visa with a very old deposit account.

Edited by Spellforce

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If OPs mother still has the evidence that the 800K which she transferred eight years ago (or longer) to a personal Thai bank-account, originated from abroad, that would solve the matter of course.  But it is unlikely that she still has that +8 year old evidence, and Thai Immigration would in such cases normally waive that proof of foreign origin requirement when the funds have been already long-time seasoned on her personal Thai bank account.

Too much talk when only the first year is needed to show where the funds came from,  after that where ever....  dont make ity sound so complicated and mysterius man..

25 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Too much talk when only the first year is needed to show where the funds came from,  after that where ever....  dont make ity sound so complicated and mysterius man..

Nothing mysterious, it's just that you clearly did not understand the actual issue - lol.

The OP's mother's permission to stay did expire and on her return to Thailand she will re-apply for a NEW 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  Since she did not liquidate the Fixed Deposit Account with +800K she had for 8 years already, providing proof of that might be accepted by Immigration when she applies for that new 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  However, a - by the letter of the book - Imm Officer might refuse that for lack of evidence that those +800K originated from abroad, as the funds were transferred 8 years ago.