Gecko in bedroom

sirineou

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I have watched them devouring all manner of bugs that settle on my monitor, mozzies included.

I wish they will eat that pesky fly that has been annoying all day. I asked wife to het me a fly swatter, but we forgot. will look for one when we go out later today.  

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The other thing I found works to my amazement, a bright LED focussed beam, Shine that on them and they freeze on the spot ! Just pick em up and deposit elsewhere.

That's exactly what I do. A bright "Cree" LED torch shone at them makes them freeze.

It's like a line from the movie World War Z:  "the thing that you thought was their most powerful weapon is, in fact, their weakness".

And with jin-jocks, it's their incredibly sensitive eyes. They are either blinded or confused by the bright light and stop moving.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

I have never once seen a gecko eat a mosquito. Complete myth, but like sheep so many seem to claim they do. Mosquito's rarely stay on walls, for one.

I guess I have mutant/stupid mosquitos around my house.  They like to land on the wall just outside the most frequently used exterior door.  Almost every time I return home I get to smack one of them before entering the house.  The door is in a well sheltered area and they're probably attracted by the lingering scent of prey.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, didn't offend me at all but you did say that it was a complete myth and that those who believed it are sheep!  It isn't, it's that simple, pal.

Hmm... many argue that small lizard eat moscito! Have you notice where moscito normaly bite you! In legs, reason Thais lift they legs in dinner time and have that wooden "table" where to eat and sit! Lizard walk on walls and hang from roof normaly not on floors. Fan is to use for moscito also coz they cant fly when fan blowing. And dont know where 5 star hotel OP normaly live if gecko is new buddy lol. If that shout it is that big one which is horny lol

Unknown.jpeg

Bye the way Chinese pay up to 10000 bth from this a holes tale if really big one.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Don't doubt it. What about elsewhere? On the walls or floors?  I repeat, I've never seen a gecko eat/catch a mozzie.

Guess you did not spend as many hours watching them transverse the ceilings in Takhli Bars as I did back in the 60/70's.  They do indeed catch and eat all kinds of insects.  

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

You could always go all Egyptian on him, seal him in ! Run a bead of silicon around that box. Entomb him ! That dramatic enough ?...55555

Make sure you light a candle and chant whilst applying the seal. ????

I didn't chant anything when I boxed in these little devils about 6 years ago:

After boxing them in, I got a can of bug spray - one with a very thin metal tube - and did the dirty. Sorry, flies. 

6 years later, I really should clean it up, it's looking a bit tatty:

2016976899_FliesBoxedIn.thumb.jpg.6fc91f68ad7d4402cce4848affcd6af4.jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, eliminate their lunchbox and they will move on, none in our bedroom (just everywhere else).

And their bigger brothers, tukay, stay outside.

At one time, my MIL had about 8 tookays in the house.  A house I rented way back had wooden shutters, no glass or screens.  One time I had a swarm of flying termites come in and land on the floor.  A big tookay came in and gobbled them all up.  I watched from inside my mosquito net. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bug spray kills them pretty quick.

I use Chaindrite,  they will drop with a good spray, you might too. Stuff really gets in your throat.  A bamboo tape might work to get him out... I kept some from an old roll blind and have a stock for life. 

I am not a fan of killing them and usually catch and then chuck them next door. Tell the wife they will poo in her mouth while she sleeps and maybe she will help you!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

For some reason they believe they are invisible if they are still.

A ploy against snakes, who detect heat and as they are cold blooded cannot see them unless they move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

is it a gecko or a jing jock?

"Big" Tokay?

spacer.png

Absolutely unacceptable in the house.

But avoid to kill them.

"Small" Jing jok?
Harmless but annoying and pooping everywhere.

Hard to get rid of.

jingjok.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Our cats seem to like tokays.  I don't mind them unless they are in the house and they start the "tokay call".   Having cats, dogs and chickens are a necessity living out in the country side.  Gingjoks I can live with, some are almost tame but tokays have to be outside. Chickens killed a small Malaysian Krait last week outside the patio.  Try to capture tokays and relocate them, snakes around the house not so lucky.  Dogs have alerted me several times to cobras while out gardening. 

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, eliminate their lunchbox and they will move on, none in our bedroom (just everywhere else).

And their bigger brothers, tukay, stay outside.

don't you believe it, we have 3 in our kitchen currently, used to have 1 in the living room but he moved out.

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I didn't chant anything when I boxed in these little devils about 6 years ago:

After boxing them in, I got a can of bug spray - one with a very thin metal tube - and did the dirty. Sorry, flies. 

6 years later, I really should clean it up, it's looking a bit tatty:

2016976899_FliesBoxedIn.thumb.jpg.6fc91f68ad7d4402cce4848affcd6af4.jpg

My eyesight isn't perfect but I don't see any flies. What I see is a species of bees. I have a swarm of these that has made a nest in a section of square tubing in my front gate mounting frame. They aren't aggressive, so I let them be. Been there going on 6 years.

7 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Try to capture tokays and relocate them,

I do exactly that and have relocated dozens over the years... and you have to take them a reasonable distance away as they seem to find their way back from a short one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

why kill something who eats mosquitos? 

This.

I like having Jing Joks around as they eat mosquitoes and other bugs.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," etc.

18 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Friday night in Thailand and a convo about geckos eating mozzies. Living the dream, eh! 'Thank god I left that dump the UK', etc, etc. LOL.

I'm off out for a beer. Enjoy your evenings.

Funny, that.  You seem to be one of the main contributors to the thread!