Gecko in bedroom

sirineou

11 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My eyesight isn't perfect but I don't see any flies. What I see is a species of bees. I have a swarm of these that has made a nest in a section of square tubing in my front gate mounting frame. They aren't aggressive, so I let them be. Been there going on 6 years.

Thanks for the info. OK, so they are bees. They weren't aggressive to me either, but they ate a way into the room and died in their hundreds on the window sill inside the room. I regularly vacuumed up the dead bodies. I thought I was doing them a favour by not letting them breed just to die on the hot, sun-drenched window sill.

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Use this and he wont stay around for long!

SARGENT Gecko Repellent Spray 600ml | https://s.lazada.co.th/s.WHcId

Yes, we occasionally have problems with them too.  They seem to be attracted to the moisture around the air conditioner.  I stole a cap from a WD-40 can that had one of those small straws you can use to spray into crevices and replaced it on the Sargent Spray.    I then spray that into any cracks and crevices and it seems to work very well.  It eventually wears off and I have to respray but that is just living with live here in Thailand. 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, mfd101 said:

Then there are the tokays outside, calling during the mating season. They get names like George

I was wondering where he went after Star Trek 

Ohh My

image.png.1edbd44455d776a7c87660738cd4a375.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

I guess the ghecko will crawl away and die somewhere and be followed by an army of ants to feast on it.

We had a large one die last week near the cupboard it lived behind, and the rest of the family went missing until we got into the space and removed it. Interesting, but would we like to live near a dead body? Now we two or three back there again.

I try to ensure that none get into my apartment, as I don't like the bloody things crawling around the place, however I suppose I'm lucky because I really don't open the doors/ranch sliders at all apart from when I go out onto the balcony and that's only for a brief moment in time.

If one does get in, then I will try to catch it, and throwing a very wet rag at it/over it usually does the trick, before I let it go. If I can't catch it then I know full well it will be dead within a few days because there is absolutely nothing for it to eat or drink in my apartment and I have found a dead one or two behind a bookcase when I clean behind it.

Didn't know about the torch/light trick, but good to know, so thank you.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, sirineou said:

what's the difference and how can I tell? I would ask him but given his attitude, he probably squawk at me more.  

jing joke is a type of gecko

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, sirineou said:

I was kind of hopping for something more dramatic. This spray thing is a bit anticlimactic, but what the heck. 

I already order the spray, I will save my wrath for the neighbors chickens. 

This sorts the little blighters out, lots of drama too.

p9c2ac94ovv41.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, techietraveller84 said:

One of the reasons I want to move to SE Asia is so I can have geckos living in my home.

They provide free pest control and occasional funny stories.

How loud are they though?

the common jing jokes are not that loud, just some little squeeks.  Tookays are much louder and bigger.

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

This sorts the little blighters out, lots of drama too.

p9c2ac94ovv41.jpg

That's more like it. 

I had my camo on, I did my push-ups , ok push-up , and I was ready to rumble. Then I find out all I had to do was spay it with holy water. 

All and all a big letdown. 

if one does not believe those small geckos eat bugs, look at the amount of matter not useful after digestion they produce, usually found near or on walls and windowsills.

a TukToo is a different matter, some are about 20 cm long , speckled and look like a dragon. our house TukTo, after hiding under and  behind a cabinet fled for the curtains. 

I left window open, one light outside on, a bit away from the window to attract flying nuisances, and inside off.

Next morning TukTo had moved ????

by the way, when going after a gecko, it drops its tail to distract the hunter, be prepared for a wiggling piece of reptile, seemingly alive, falling upon you !

Good hunting !!

• Like 1

Maybe some air in a can with the thin straw like thing on the nozzle

Blow the little <deleted> out. But make sure you put  a bucket or something below to catch him or he will disappear under some other furniture.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, mfd101 said:

Here amongst the Khmer peasants they are considered symbols of good luck, so bad luck to kill them.

We live with half-a-dozen or more, of varying sizes. I get to sweep up the droppings off the floor downstairs each morning. Almost never seen u/s in the main bedroom & library, thank goodness.

Then there are the tokays outside, calling during the mating season. They get names like George or Edward or Henry ...

I was thinking I was the only one that named the tokays.

I have worked on making traps for the geckos. The best so far. Large steel can with a bit of vegetable oil rubbed on the in sides and bottom with a small light. the light attracts the insects, the insects attracts the geckos. the oil keeps them from getting out.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, Crossy said:

I have watched them devouring all manner of bugs that settle on my monitor, mozzies included.

My family's nightly ritual is to gather around outside the front door. The geckos know what time it is, and start also gathering around the porch light, even before it goes on. Then once it gets dark, and we turn on the light, this draws the mosquitoes and we watch the geckos have a feast.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, northsouthdevide said:

A very good tried and tested remedy is to chop up a small amount of tobacco into I fine pile, then mix it with some coffee grounds 50/50 ratio, and roll it into very small balls.

The chin chuks will be attracted to the coffee and eat it, but the tabaco will kill them.

Another is to put some coffee grounds in the middle of one of those sticky pads for catching mice, and place it on top of the wardrobe.

Another is to get a cat, and last but not least, you could learn to live with them.

That was my preferred choice, until they broke a couple of my air cons by shorting the mother board.

Is that really possible, geckos or whatever shortening the mother board in air cons? How best to seal the a/c condenser unit?